• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Millipedes!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Soon I'll be getting two millipedes!

I ordered the substrate today. Once the tank is all ready and I have the humidty nice and high, I'll order the millipedes.

One will be a bumblebee millipede (adult size 2 inches) and one will be a smokey oak millipede (adult size 4 inches). I'm really excited!

I have a name in mind for one of them, and I'll try to come up with something good for the other.

Very excited!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It shipped, should be here in a couple days. I might be moving the fish from one of my 10g tanks into another (already established) tank soon, so I might be able to get a few more if these initial few go well... I already love the tiny boys and I haven't even ordered them yet!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How fun!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I had both species for a time, my experience with them was, it's cheaper to get a tank of dirt and look at that. Because they live underground and will not usually come up except in the dark, so that's all you really see in the enclosure.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I just looked them up Bumblebee Millipede is actually pretty cool looking! The other one looks like a roly-poly bug and grubworm had a baby:lol:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had both species for a time, my experience with them was, it's cheaper to get a tank of dirt and look at that. Because they live underground and will not usually come up except in the dark, so that's all you really see in the enclosure.
Some people say the same about Pacman frogs, since they burrow and you don't see them unless it's dark or it's feeding time. But I like them anyway. I find them fascinating. And if that means I have to sit on the floor at night with a flashlight covered in red cellophane to see them, I'll do it! I'm up at night anyway and I don't have anything better to do. :)

I just looked them up Bumblebee Millipede is actually pretty cool looking! The other one looks like a roly-poly bug and grubworm had a baby:lol:
They are! I like the smokey oak especially, since they're larger. The giant african millipedes get to 15 inches, and think they're really neat! I love them. They're just chill boys!

The Brain Scoop did a video on them, and this was what got me really interested in millipedes!

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I never really thought about different species of them before. I think millipede and the basic brown or black ones come to mind.

Look at this one! Its called Pink Dragon very fitting name! Desmoxytes_purpurosea_01.jpg

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I never really thought about different species of them before. I think millipede and the basic brown or black ones come to mind.

Look at this one! Its called Pink Dragon very fitting name! View attachment 278583
Woah! That's such a vibrant color! He looks almost like a mix between a millipede and a centipede, those legs are so weird! Millipedes usually have their legs directly underneath them, and centipedes usually have their legs straight out to the side. How cool!

Look at this guy, he's a Vietnamese Rainbow millipede (scientific name tonkinbolus dollfusi). Look at his sweet little face! What a cutie!

Last edited:

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Cool! the bumblebee one has really pretty colours! We had millipedes at college, they were really fascinating!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
And all of the different species will get along okay, right? No unfortunate surprises? :what:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
And all of the different species will get along okay, right? No unfortunate surprises? :what:
For the most part they will get along. When you get into the types that excrete cyanide, you're playing with fire. But these guys don't do that, so we should be okay. They're pretty social and they like to huddle up in groups.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thinking about taking my 10 gallon (currently with 5 pygmy cories and some snails, as well as java fern) and moving the inhabitants to the 10g Glofish tank, then cleaning out the 10 and putting millies in there instead. I even have a 10g stand at the ready, and I could put boards under the stand (there's crossbars about halfway up) to support the 5g I was planning on using. Thoughts?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Cyanide!!!

:omg::faint:
That's mostly the really brightly colored and/or tropical species. The kind of millie you would find in your backyard is probably not able to secrete cyanide. They're just chill vegetarians, they hang out and eat rotting leaves and rotting wood.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cute looking critters...probably couldn't get my wife to agree to have them around, though...;)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Got the substrate! I put it in and it's looking good!

My dad got me the stuff I needed (heat pad, humidity/temp gauges, etc) so the 5g is up. Looks pretty good!

And my dad says we can do my 10g idea. So I'll have to get more substrate. He also got me some black paint so I can do the background.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I moved the pygmy cories into the Glofish tank, so tomorrow I'll clean out the 10 and hopefully get my dad to set up that stand!