1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milk Thistle Seed

Discussion in 'Feathered Food Court' started by Ripshod, 9/10/19.

1. Ripshod

Ripshod Rollerblading along the road

Linden
    My vet vecently gave me milk thistle drops for Tau's drinking water. But I'm also aware our parrots can eat the seed so I'm asking anyone with experience what would be a good quantity to add to his daily diet? I'll be buying off-the-shelf human grade seed at a supermarket.

Rain Bow likes this.
  2. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Bump.

Rain Bow and Ripshod like this.
  3. LunaLovebird

LunaLovebird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Shutterbugs' Best

You can add it, but they wont get near the dose used with the liquid unless they eat a lot of seeds. They are also bitter so many birds don’t eat them. I have them in my mix because both of mine love them and I figure eating a half dozen or so of those per day is good as a low dose maintenance kind of thing. I don’t know if it’s made any difference to them and I don’t think it’s something I could easily test, but both of my birds are very healthy and their vet always comments on how good their feather quality is when we go in for check ups.

Fuzzy, Rain Bow, Hankmacaw and 2 others like this.
  4. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    The drops are a concentrate as mentioned. Your bird would need to eat an awful lot of seed to get a full dose.

It couldn't hurt to add some seed as a maintenance thing down the road.

Rain Bow, Hankmacaw and Lady Jane like this.
  5. Ripshod

Linden
    Thanks for the info. I felt that would be the case just wanted confirmation. I'll stick with the drops.

Rain Bow likes this.
  6. Leanna

Leanna Walking the driveway

Leanna B
    I use milk thistle seed powder and sprinkle it on everyone's fresh food every morning. Same with papaya powder (fresh isn't always available where I live) and a tiny pinch of hemp seeds.

Rain Bow likes this.
  7. Nikomania

Nikomania Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran Vendor

Any recommendations as to which milk thistle products to buy? There are quite a few on the market, some of which are blends.

Rain Bow and Ripshod like this.
  8. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    I bought milk thistle seed on nuts.com. They are a cockatiel size and fed them along with other seeds.

Rain Bow and Love My Zons like this.
  9. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
  10. Nikomania

Nikomania Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran Vendor

Great! Thank you!
    If I were to look into the liquid form, which ones are especially good?

Rain Bow, Love My Zons and Lady Jane like this.
  11. Lady Jane

Dianne
    I only fed the seed. I know Avitech used to make a nice combo for liver issues. Perhaps @Love My Zons will have some.

Rain Bow likes this.
  12. Ripshod

Linden
    There's some really good info here, thanks everyone. We'll complete the course with the drops then I'll include some of the seed in the diet. I love the idea of baking birdie bread with them, that may be the way for me.

Rain Bow and Lady Jane like this.
  13. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor

Claire
    Yes they did. I do have some made by Morningbird currently! It is organic milk thistle and organic dandelion root. Same exact product, since Janelle didn't patent it. Morningbird extracts the good stuff the same way Avitech did.

There is another one that I will be adding soon.

14. Hankmacaw

Hankmacaw Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mary Lynn Skinner
    Natures Valley that you can buy on Amazon is what I've used for 15 years. My vet approved of it. Dandelion is more for kidne.

Rain Bow, Karen and Nikomania like this.
  15. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor

Claire
    And for the record, I offer milk thistle seeds. If they get eaten, great, if not I still offer along with Herb Salad.

Given choices, I let them decide. ;)

16. Love My Zons

Claire
    Dandelion is more for kidney's but they too play a large role in allowing the body to remove the by products the liver also breaks down.

Detoxification is the goal.

Ripshod, Rain Bow and Lady Jane like this.
  17. Nikomania

I see Nature's Bounty, but not 'Valley' on Amazon

Rain Bow likes this.
  18. Rain Bow

Rain Bow Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue I Can't Stop Posting!

Rain
    I bought Nature's Answer per my vet @ the time. She mentioned what ever brand I did buy to make absolutely sure it was alcohol free...

19. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Andrea
    Are you giving it as a preventative or because they need it?

Rain Bow likes this.
  20. Nikomania

Preventative.

Love My Zons and Rain Bow like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)