1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Milk thistle and other questions

Discussion in 'Holistic Avenue' started by scoobdoo63, 4/7/16.

1. scoobdoo63

scoobdoo63 Jogging around the block

laurie
    Milk thistle, do you give just the purple flower or all? Dandelion?.the flower or all of it.. you look it up and it just says the word...well no need more info..

2. Deejo

Deejo Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Doris
    Milk thistle is commonly offered to birds as the dried seed, but it also available as a powder....buy organic. Mix it in with dry cage mix, or add to a mash mix.
    Dandelion - if you're fortunate enough to live in the country & use no pesticides, chop up the leaves and feed it that way.
    Dried dandelion leaf is awesome for birds - you'll find it an an ingredient in quite a few parrot products.
    Or buy it, organic, from a good health food store.

3. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    i put extracts of both in Percys water once a week he seems to like it even though it makes the water bitter he waits to drink after i put it in

4. scoobdoo63

laurie
    Dandelion flowers are everywhere!!! People hate them! I'm Grabbing them for my crabs!

5. Cynthia & Percy

Cynthia & Percy cockatoo mania Super Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

cynthia
    just make sure they are not sprayed with roundup or any other spray

expressmailtome likes this.
  6. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    I HATE dandelions in my lawn and wage war with them every summer. My neighbors are apparently dandelion farmers. However, I do buy organic dandelion greens regularly at my neighborhood Kroger's.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  7. aooratrix

aooratrix Macawaholic Super Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew

I need to add milk thistle to my dry mix! I have a good supply, so thanks, @Deejo :)

8. scoobdoo63

laurie
    We is country..little town.. laid back farmer type towny..most of us just mow. I also give them to my crabs

9. Nancy B

Nancy B Rollerblading along the road

Nancy
    I dug up 3 good size Dandelion plants put one in Freddy's foraging basket and another in his foraging ball. Lol it looks like he has plants in his cage minus the root. See how he likes those. My lovebirds are curious about it.

10. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Be very careful about digging up ones from a lawn unless you own the lawn and know it's not sprayed.

Nancy B likes this.
  11. Nancy B

Nancy B Rollerblading along the road

Nancy
    Yes it's mine and it has not been sprayed :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)