• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military Macaw - what should I know

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There was no internet back then, you learned by trial and error, taking notes, taking to other parrot people, and frequent library books.
As much stuff as I look up each week, not having the internet as a resource would have been tough. :shocked5:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
As much stuff as I look up each week, not having the internet as a resource would have been tough. :shocked5:
Back then, it was tough...you read and ordered books from library. I still have a ton of books I bought from way back then. I think I have like 25- 30 books...lol...... I also have every single copy of bird talk since it started. That's a lot of magazines..lol.... Been offered very good money for the entire collection, but refused.
Thank God for internet huh!?!?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My problem right now is I really want another macaw or too, my two favorite birds, Lou and billy. Lou was a cranky fart at times, and billy was a trouble maker, we all I understood each other well. I miss them.....
It my wife always points out we're getting old, and any new bird will get rehomed of one of us or both, can't take care of them for what ever medical reason or death. Wouldn't be fair for bird as they all right now will put live us. My current birds are in will and designated to go to specific person.
But me, if I'm still kicking my feet might as well give a bird a good home here with me.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
But they would have an amazing quality of life as long as they're with you and you would only choose the perfect new home for them when the time came. What about getting older birds?

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
After reading all the posts and more research I think I’m leaning towards an older rescue which somehow picks me. Not sure how that happens but I’m going to just go places and interact and see if there ever feels like a connection and what ever species that happens with so be it...!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
After reading all the posts and more research I think I’m leaning towards an older rescue which somehow picks me. Not sure how that happens but I’m going to just go places and interact and see if there ever feels like a connection and what ever species that happens with so be it...!
I think that sounds like a good idea. And you'll know when it happens. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't you the word hate loosely - it is a very intense word based on very intense feelings - but, I almost hate when I hear people are getting/looking for a "starter bird". I always think - what are they going to do, get their practice in with this starter bird, that they didn't really want in the first place, then throw it away or ignore it completely when they get the bird they really and truly wanted. That is abominable and a pox along with the fleas of a herd of camels to anyone who gets a starter bird.

I wanted a GW macaw, so I got a GW macaw and stuck through thick and thin, love and hate, sickness and wellness with him and he became the best friend of my lifetime. That was my Hank - in the picture to the left.

PS - @Hawk12237 - One never knows exactly what he is getting into with any Parrot.

Last edited:

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
Y’all are awesome - I appreciate hearing about the good - bad - and ugly so to speak. The phrase “starter bird” just doesn’t make sense to me personally. So I have already made up my mind to just find the bird that I want knowing that as someone who has not had a bird before what I think I want may adjust as I learn more and get more exposure to them in person. I have an open mind and will keep that until something feels like a fit for me and which ever bird ends up blessing me. All I know now is what I think might be right which is an older macaw so I can give it a good home but who knows what is to be. They all seem special and like us have their own individuality. Right now I just want to volunteer so I can be around them as much as possible until I find “that one” or it finds me. Lol

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Trust me, you will know when a bird picks you. I’d been in love with cockatiels since I was a kid and Grays fascinated me, ended up being picked by a Scarlet. Even with zero bird owner experience beforehand, I could see that I was picked. No regrets about any of it either. You never know who you’ll end up with, but if a bird picks you, it’s like nothing else out there.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My 'starter' bird was a cockatoo. She was supposed to be a cockatiel....that didn't turn out as planned.
24 years later she's still here and doing fine.
My birds have turned my life around so many times.
They've changed personalities, love interests, likes and dislikes, etc.
I don't think there's any way to sum it up except to say your life will change, and more than once!
Some good changes, some not so good, some painful.

As long as you are flexible, able to roll with the punches, and have a sense of humor, you'll do fine.
Just realize, they live a long LONG time!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
But they would have an amazing quality of life as long as they're with you and you would only choose the perfect new home for them when the time came. What about getting older birds?
True, I'm only 64, but went through 9 surgeries in last 7 years after wife and I had head on crash, where texting driver crossed into our path. My wife nearly died, hung on by a thread, she doesn't remember much of it or about 5 months after.
My self the seat belt broke and I was nearly thru windshield. If it wasn't for seat belt wrapped around my arm when it broke, I'd of went straight thru.
But my birds were my concern, had 6 at home at that time. All the surgeries between us both made it almost impossible to care for the birds. But had lots of out side help come in every day twice a day. I didn't want to rehome all my birds for medical reasons, so I hung on... I'm glad I did.
But reality of it...can happen anytime!.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I don't you the word hate loosely - it is a very intense word based on very intense feelings - but, I almost hate when I hear people are getting/looking for a "starter bird". I always think - what are they going to do, get their practice in with this starter bird, that they didn't really want in the first place, then throw it away or ignore it completely when they get the bird they really and truly wanted. That is abominable and a pox along with the fleas of a herd of camels to anyone who gets a starter bird.

I wanted a GW macaw, so I got a GW macaw and stuck through thick and thin, love and hate, sickness and wellness with him and he became the best friend of my lifetime. That was my Hank - in the picture to the left.

PS - @Hawk12237 - One never knows exactly what he is getting into with any Parrot.
You said it best mary, any parrot can be a surprise. No one knows exactly what that parrots personality will be like until they get it home.....
And by the way, I really don't care for that term starter bird either!! It's like saying I'm getting a starter home, then move on from there. I believe that if you get a parrot, your committed till death do you apart.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

I intensely dislike the term too. And my first bird was a cockatiel! I think the term diminishes the value of the little bird. Little birds should be valued for who they are too and I hate that they're often considered as something of less importance than a bigger bird. I could not have loved my cockatiel more. And I certainly never saw him as a stepping stone to a bigger bird. (Some days I'm still surprised that I have a bigger bird. LOL.) So, yes, I fully believe a person should get the bird that they want from the start. They just need to be prepared for whatever type of bird they're getting.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I intensely dislike the term too. And my first bird was a cockatiel! I think the term diminishes the value of the little bird. Little birds should be valued for who they are too and I hate that they're often considered as something of less importance than a bigger bird. I could not have loved my cockatiel more. And I certainly never saw him as a stepping stone to a bigger bird. (Some days I'm still surprised that I have a bigger bird. LOL.) So, yes, I fully believe a person should get the bird that they want from the start. They just need to be prepared for whatever type of bird they're getting.
Oh I agree, all birds matter...regardless of size.
I've had big birds and small ones...twinky here was tiny, but was my little sweetie. I took her in as a surrender, and now lives happily with my daughter. IMG_2546.JPG