• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military Macaw - what should I know

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
I’m researching different types of Macaws to learn more about each as I decide which would be a best fit for me. I do not have any parrots currently and never have. I seem to be drawn to the military macaw and would like to learn more from those who have had that type.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! If you live in the United States it might be quite difficult to find one. Since they were added to the ESA list, they can not be sold, or adopted, across state lines without a federal permit.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! We periodically will get a Military at our local bird rescue. I would encourage you to check local rescues and think about adopting. And I think you should try to meet some and spend time with them. I think if a person really wants a macaw, that's what they should get- even if it's their first bird. You just need to make sure you understand the demands of taking care of a big bird (and the expense). I personally still find those big beaks a bit intimidating, and I have bird experience.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The Militaries have a reputation of being a little crankier/nippier than some of the other macaws, but that can vary greatly from individual bird to bird. The Military is my 2nd favorite Macaw (Greenwings #1 of course). The Most important thing to do is to NOT go into parrot ownership with false expectations and be ready for lots of work, bites, screaming, big messes, chewed on furniture - an the list goes on. No cuddles, kisses, no particularly liking you one little bit

The common intelligence is that a person should start with a little bird (cockatiel, parakeet) and get experience. Not me - you should get the parrot that you really want. With help from people on this forum and your own determination and intelligence, you can make it through the tough spots with any bird you get.

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the replies - my plan is to volunteer at a rescue for a bit to get experience first and work through some natural fear of the beak. Lol. I’m wrestling with the idea of adopting vs getting a baby. I know there are so many without a home and that tugs at my heart a lot. I also thought about how some say to start smaller with a first time bird but in my mind, they live so long that I don’t want to go into it like that. If I get one then that’s the one...I’m not getting one with the mindset of getting another - so I did decide to go with what ever ends up capturing my heart regardless of size. I am open to other types of Macaws I just happen to have the chance to meet a military at a rescue which led me to kind of look more into those. I was also thinking maybe a green winged. Who knows. That’s what prompted me to see what others experiences were here

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
FYI - I am in the US - Near Galveston Texas. Unfortunately it seems all the rescues seem to be on the opposite side of Houston and anyone who knows Houston knows traveling across that can take hours. Lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks for the replies - my plan is to volunteer at a rescue for a bit to get experience first and work through some natural fear of the beak. Lol. I’m wrestling with the idea of adopting vs getting a baby. I know there are so many without a home and that tugs at my heart a lot. I also thought about how some say to start smaller with a first time bird but in my mind, they live so long that I don’t want to go into it like that. If I get one then that’s the one...I’m not getting one with the mindset of getting another - so I did decide to go with what ever ends up capturing my heart regardless of size. I am open to other types of Macaws I just happen to have the chance to meet a military at a rescue which led me to kind of look more into those. I was also thinking maybe a green winged. Who knows. That’s what prompted me to see what others experiences were here
I think volunteering is a great idea and a good way to meet some birds. Also, sometimes the bird you think you want ends up not being the right bird. I always said I would never have a cockatoo.... and I have one. LOL.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Totally agree with all the above posts-educate , educate and educate yourself some more. Volunteer, foster -my best advice to anyone thinking of acquiring a big bird..are you ready to have a 3-5 year old for the rest of your life? I have a Military and yes she can be a real snot if I let her get away with it. I had always had blue n golds before rescuing my Military , boy what a eye opener. Keep in touch and ask questions...this group is awesome.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Our Buzz is only half military, but he's such a sweetie. :xflove:

@Macawnutz

Leslie Cole

Meeting neighbors
So are there other Macaw species that are more known for being laid back (ish) or tolerant?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
So are there other Macaw species that are more known for being laid back (ish) or tolerant?
In general... I would say the blue and golds, green wings arent as grumpy as a scarlet. But every bird is different. That being said, the last two baby scarlets that were in the store I volunteer at have been very very sweet so again, depends on the bird.

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I’m going to chime in and say that not all scarlets are grumpy and nippy. Birds are individuals. I knew a very aggressive B&G, first one I ever met in fact.
Best thing you can do is go out and meet adults of the species that you are interested in. We can tell you our experiences and maybe some generalities but, overall, you could get a bird nothing like what any of us describe.
They’re loud, enthusiastic and eternal two year olds with nutcrackers attached to their faces. Your best bet for being laid back is an adult or older bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My male GW, Hank deceased, was a force to contend with much of the time. For the first three years I had him he was the meanest bird I have ever seen. It was with good reason. He had been abused, both physically and mentally for the ten years before I got him and had absolutely no reason to like humans. Jasper was/is and always will be a soppy sweet bird - she was raised as a spoiled princess and learned how to get her way no matter what - she's a GW too and is the mildest mannered sweetest bird earth. Just like all of humans each parrot is a product of nature and nurture.

GWs are often described as the gentle giants - they can be, but again they may not be either.

Before buying a baby you should probably read @macawpower58 post. Baby to adult. Will they still love me? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The Militaries have a reputation of being a little crankier/nippier than some of the other macaws, but that can vary greatly from individual bird to bird. The Military is my 2nd favorite Macaw (Greenwings #1 of course). The Most important thing to do is to NOT go into parrot ownership with false expectations and be ready for lots of work, bites, screaming, big messes, chewed on furniture - an the list goes on. No cuddles, kisses, no particularly liking you one little bit

The common intelligence is that a person should start with a little bird (cockatiel, parakeet) and get experience. Not me - you should get the parrot that you really want. With help from people on this forum and your own determination and intelligence, you can make it through the tough spots with any bird you get.
I second this that Mary said. Having had a military myself as a first parrot was an eye opener. Had hawks prior to going into parroting, so I was a little prepared.
I was Fortunate that Lou was nearly 35 when I got him. But he was set in some ways. Had his own agenda. Mary is right, they can be crankier and a bit nippier than other macaws. I lost count how many times I've been bitten by lou.
They aren't bad birds, you just have to know what your getting into, and expect the unexpected from them. They are not your typical cuddle bunnies, you might get a cuddly day with kisses, then a day where it wants to be left alone.
And a attempted kiss could get you beak whacked aside the head. Of course personality varies from bird to bird.
I'm with Mary on this, as a first parrot, I would start smaller, and work up. But if you have lots of time on your hands, and don't intend to cage them 3/4 of the day or more, you'll have a happy macaw. Macaws really do not like spending all day in a cage. They need lots of out time.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The common intelligence is that a person should start with a little bird (cockatiel, parakeet) and get experience. Not me - you should get the parrot that you really want.
I'm with Mary on this, as a first parrot, I would start smaller, and work up.
I think what @Hankmacaw said was not to get a "starter" bird but rather to go with the bird you truly want.

I can see both sides of this. While we did start with smaller birds, it wasn't because we were working our way up to bigger birds. We had green cheeks & that was plenty for us. :) When Buzzard's owner contacted us, I deleted the email! Heck no I didn't want a beak that big. :confused: But then I undeleted it, showed it to hubby and we ended up bringing Buzz home. We had zero big bird experience, but like Mary Lynn said, there is so much info and support here that we were able to make it work.

I don't think the hands-on experience we had with the littles actually translated very well to the big guy. In fact, my first macaw bite was because I tried to handle him like I was used to with the conures.
:batonthehead:
It was mostly the knowledge we'd gained through constantly having to look things up about diet and care for them that helped us have a better start with Buzz. But honestly, we could have learned most of those things if we'd just done a little research before bringing any birds home instead of buying one on impulse. We didn't know how much we didn't know.

@Leslie Cole It may even be that your quest for a military is what leads you to your heart bird (military or not). ;)

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I think what @Hankmacaw said was not to get a "starter" bird but rather to go with the bird you truly want.

I can see both sides of this. While we did start with smaller birds, it wasn't because we were working our way up to bigger birds. We had green cheeks & that was plenty for us. :) But when Buzzard's owner contacted us, I deleted the email! Heck no I didn't want a beak that big. :confused: But then I undeleted it, showed it to hubby and we ended up bringing Buzz home. We had zero big bird experience, but like Mary Lynn said, there is so much info and support here that we were able to make it work.

I don't think the hands-on experience we had with the littles actually translated very well to the big guy. In fact, my first macaw bite was because I tried to handle him like I was used to with the conures.
It was mostly the knowledge we'd gained through constantly having to look things up about diet and care for them that helped us have a better start with Buzz. But honestly, we could have learned most of those things if we'd just done a little research before bringing any birds home instead of buying one on impulse. We didn't know how much we didn't know.

@Leslie Cole It may even be that your quest for a military is what leads you to your heart bird (military or not). ;)

Oh I agree with you, my philosophy, go with what you feel comfortable with, but also know exactly what you are getting into.
There's two baby macaws for sale near me, both between 6-7 months old. One a military, one a scarlet. Both were surrendered. Two different owners.
My guess, they didn't fully know what they were getting into.
I would never discourage anyone from getting any type of bird, my concerns is when people make wrong choices and birds end back up where they started.
There is a lot of talented people on AA that can give great advice, and guide people every step of the way.
I've primarily been a rather big bird person all my life. Lou was a military, got him back in 1976-77. There was no internet back then, you learned by trial and error, taking notes, taking to other parrot people, and frequent library books. I've never stopped parroting since, never stopped learning about them either. Ever day is a new learning experience.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I can see both sides of this. While we did start with smaller birds, it wasn't because we were working our way up to bigger birds. We had green cheeks & that was plenty for us. :) When Buzzard's owner contacted us, I deleted the email! Heck no I didn't want a beak that big. :confused: But then I undeleted it, showed it to hubby and we ended up bringing Buzz home. We had zero big bird experience, but like Mary Lynn said, there is so much info and support here that we were able to make it work.

Hey Karen, it's really amazing what we actually learn about parrots.
I've had many types of parrots in my house, most from surrenders, a few from being rescued after the owner passed, stuff like that. 26 altogether that I rehomed.
The thing about them though, is every species is different , every bird is unique in its own way.
Like back when I had two too's, and the military....I thought hey , I know all about parrots now piece of cake... How wrong I was when I took in a pair of eclectuses. Totally different in many ways, back to reading, researching and that.
Then came the Ringnecks and a couple ciaques and sennigals, that was another ball game.!!
More reading and researching. I was amazed through the years of what I actually did not know.
Even then I find I have to go back and re-read and brush up on, because the info on parrots is vast, it's impossible to actually know it all.
You never stop learning is my point. But it was fun as heck! I love parrots, period, and love to see them happy, and in good homes.