• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Military macaw troubles

Killercandy187

Moving in
My macaw is very cage aggressive i brought her to my room after working for a good hour to get her on my arm she is doing better i build her a play thing to say the least lol and she loves it but is starting to get really protective over that now and has started really tearing into my fingers and idk how to approach this and i need help on what to look for behavioral to know if i should approach not etc any help is appreciated thanks

Justin

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
We need more info to offer cogent advice. How old is your bird? What sex? Have you had it since it was weaned or did you adopt an older bird? What behaviors are you observing? Is the bird lunging at you or just mixing in nips with interaction?

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Try showing her a treat then asking her to step up, when she does praise her " good girl" birds respond to the sounds & tones of your voice. she has to have a reason to want to step up not just just because you want her to...that comes later. Also at bed time remove all food, they don't eat when its dark, cover her and tell her night night-give her at least 10-12 quiet hrs for sleeping, in the morning uncover her open the door show her the treat and ask her to step up from inside the cage-if she won't close the door walk away and come back in a few minutes & repeat until she does it...patience's....good luck

Killercandy187

Moving in
My mom hatched her she was her bird initially but she always had a soft spot for me. Also she is 12 or 13 years old. She will get all red and she will let me touch her beak but thats it she literally looks on the defensive 24/7 i normally leave her alone for a few minutes if i see that other times she wants it. I also noticed if i put my bare arm up to her she backs off 1/2 the time not wanting to step up but i have this long sleeve shirt that she has associated with interaction if i have that shirt on she almost throws herself at me to get on my shoulder very fast she has slowed up lately i have been holding her every few hours but she is very abrupt i guess. If i laugh she normally will laugh if i get her on my shoulder she is pretty content to stay there most of the time she loves being on my bed. I have seen her walk up to my blankets and start trying to nest i guess and i can pet her feel her mess with her wings and tail, the tail is saying something hates people even around it. She will be sweet sweet never bits always lightly hold my fingers in her mouth etc but its its only when she is either under my blanket like i will throw it over my head and put my phone under the blanket and turn my brightness up so i can see her and her me and she will stay near me sometimes and almost snuggle up to my side but its only when she is messing with my blanket. When she bites in her cage or this jungle gym i built her depends on her mood i guess most of the time she will be lunging at me and biting but she will lung and bite then lighten up and nip she dosen't chomp down on me i have felt that before but she lets me know she means it i normally say ow and take the lick then i will pet her which is normally why she bites me i dont have to very much trouble with her stepping up and biting unless she is in the cage i got a video i will link to show yall what i mean when she starts doing her thing on my bed but thats the gist of it
Thanks
Justin

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Welcome to the board! Regurgitating is "feeding you" behavior and shows she sees you as a mate.There are way more experienced folks who can help, but I will toss some ideas out. I don't think you are supposed to touch them anywhere but the head--at least that is what I understand with my grey. Never under the wings and not around the tail. She may be seeing the blanket play as like nesting/breeding behavior. I think you also need to respect her space and pace. Continue to reinforce the positive behaviors. If she is warning you or backing away, she doesn't like what ever is happening and it may make her feel unsafe-so a bird will use fight (bite) or flight. Focus on what she does enjoy, she seems food motivated so reinforcement should be great. @Macawnutz has a store with great toys, it seems her macaws like wood as toys for shredding and foraging- so even if you don't buy from her you can see what her macaws like. My Grey loves her toys. My grey also wants some of whatever I am eating (no onions, garlic...bad for them), birds are social eaters so sharing a meal is important to them. Every bird is different and Louise can be cage protective-I can break her out of that mood by singing to her (I am a terrible singier- I think it confuses her which gets her brain off protecting the cage). There will be a strategy that can help and others can offer great suggestions. I have read others use strategies of getting them out of their cage and to a play stand-similar to what you have done. I am sure folks can give some pointers to help you with reinforcing behaviors and play that won't lead her to thinking you are a mate. You mentioned her face turns red, Louise does that when she is overexcited or angry-I always take it as a warning. You seem to have a good way with her and she wants to be with you. You do have some fun toys for her and the play stand is awesome. She is a very beautiful bird and you have a very nice, calm way of interacting. She must trust you, any macaw I have been around hasn't trusted me and only lunged and bluffed--which worked, I backed off. How long have you had her? Is your mom still one of her caretakers? Sorry to hear about the flood, it sounds like it was horrible.

Last edited:

Killercandy187

Moving in
Welcome to the board! Regurgitating is "feeding you" behavior and shows she sees you as a mate.There are way more experienced folks who can help, but I will toss some ideas out. I don't think you are supposed to touch them anywhere but the head--at least that is what I understand with my grey. Never under the wings and not around the tail. She may be seeing the blanket play as like nesting/breeding behavior. I think you also need to respect her space and pace. Continue to reinforce the positive behaviors. If she is warning you or backing away, she doesn't like what ever is happening and it may make her feel unsafe-so a bird will use fight (bite) or flight. Focus on what she does enjoy, she seems food motivated so reinforcement should be great. @Macawnutz has a store with great toys, it seems her macaws like wood as toys for shredding and foraging- so even if you don't buy from her you can see what her macaws like. My Grey loves her toys. My grey also wants some of whatever I am eating (no onions, garlic...bad for them), birds are social eaters so sharing a meal is important to them. Every bird is different and Louise can be cage protective-I can break her out of that mood by singing to her (I am a terrible singier- I think it confuses her which gets her brain off protecting the cage). There will be a strategy that can help and others can offer great suggestions. I have read others use strategies of getting them out of their cage and to a play stand-similar to what you have done. I am sure folks can give some pointers to help you with reinforcing behaviors and play that won't lead her to thinking you are a mate. You mentioned her face turns red, Louise does that when she is overexcited or angry-I always take it as a warning. You seem to have a good way with her and she wants to be with you. You do have some fun toys for her and the play stand is awesome. She is a very beautiful bird and you have a very nice, calm way of interacting. She must trust you, any macaw I have been around hasn't trusted me and only lunged and bluffed--which worked, I backed off. How long have you had her? Is your mom still one of her caretakers? Sorry to hear about the flood, it sounds like it was horrible.

Well my mom is involved somewhat jenda is really aggressive towards her but she seeks the attention so idk all i know is if im around anything living and interacting with it definitely around women jenda will make it obvious she doesn't like it if she is on my shoulder she will stick her head out as far as she can in front of my face and just stair at me she got a look about her lol and my mom hatched her so all her life I've been around her she is a very by the moment bird and thanks on the play stand i think my craftsmanship could have been better but ill fo till some who's better shows up but i do have a goal to get at least one hyacinth at some point in my life goals be like so its terrible to say but jenda is sorta prep for that as well as a companion but she seems to trust me to an extent i just gotta work out the odds and ends but thanks for the advice as well and the flood was definitely way worse on others than me i was extremely fortunate in my situation to get of with what we did i remember riding down the road in a boat i live down a 2 mile road that dead ends and got about a 3rd of the way down it houses where almost to the roof or none existant we only got a foot at best in our place but other lost everything so honestly i shouldn't even be talking if you catch my drift

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@ladyjane just posted a very good article on why does my parrot hate me—not thinking you macaw hates you!! It does a great job of providing info on why birds need space and how they communicate needs. You can find it in recent posts or by searching for her.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
You have a good way of interacting with her and she really likes you. Macaws will be very beaky, and they'll let you know when you're doing something they don't like. Since their beaks are so large, it's best to respect their wishes and think of new ways to approach or interact with them. She's definitely thinking of nesting with the blankets, and she's trying to feed you. She did look a little intimidated when she was sitting on her big swing and you were touching her beak - I think being approached at that level may have made her feel like you were invading her space and that she might have to either try to run or fend you off. Watch her body language (and you seem to do that pretty well) and she'll tell you what she likes, and when she's in the mood to interact. They can be moody and not always want direct contact. Her diet could use some work - health wise she should be eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables (no avocados though), a good quality pellet, and only a couple nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.) per day. She may like peanuts, but they can harbor a type of mold called aspergillus that can cause serious respiratory problems or death. She may like sunflower or safflower seeds as well, but she really doesn't need a lot of these. The would be good to offer as treats though, as you 2 get closer. If you look at the "Macaw Motorway" you'll find some articles on training that may help you. You're really doing pretty well with her - and she looks pretty happy.

Killercandy187

Moving in
Ok well as an update i put her cage in my room day before yesterday and let her get used to it again she wasn't biting at all she was if anything excited to see me the next morning and when i opened her cage she was right up my arm very nace and such i have been working with her 24/7 and today i woke up opened her cage all that goodness put her on my shoulder and brought her around the house held her for a good 30 minutes or so then put her back cause I had yard work to do all day today i can back just a little while ago and she is pissed to say the least dosen't want nothing to do with me made some food came back of course she was practically yelling at me to give her some so i gave her a couple noodles and she went right back to not wanting anything to do with me so thats whats happening atm. Will keep yall updated

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
They tend to be more "cuddly" in the morning, and sometimes in the evening. During the day, it's hit or miss with mine as well.

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Another example of a horney hand raised human imprinted creature.

Welcome to hormones and yes you are highly desired for she thinks she is a little feathered human.

This to shall pass.

This is the season for many so just keep respect and read her and it will get better.

My green wing is also ready to nest and I stroke he inappropriate all the time.

Every bird different so don't risk anymore bites and just know twice a year you will deal with this and you need to let her make most decisions and there is no " sound " advice , just patience for it to pass as some can be very unpredictable at this time.

You'll do well.

One love

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have not read all the answers here but the first thing you need to do is stop petting her on her back

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Oh, and no sand paper on perches