• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Military Macaw labore/loud breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge

Checking out the neighborhood
New to the forum, I have a 7 year old militarty macaw that started making intermiitent squeaky noises breathing through his nose, usually only when he slept, about a month ago. Took him to a vet last week as it seemed to worsen a bit. She put him on an antibiotic which he's been on four five days. Condition this morning is worse. Breathing very loudly since very early morning and just started spreading his wings slightly while breathing hard.

No vet open today in our area (Cincinnati, Ohio)

HELP!!!

Sarge

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Sarge, welcome to the forum. You need to find a vet that can see your bird. Birds can decline very quickly. Would you like us to help you find an avian vet that may be able to see you today? The only thing I can think of is to get the bathroom warm and steamy and bring him in there but that isnt going to solve the issue. What antibiotic is he taking? What dosage? How much does he weigh? Were xrays taken?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Cincinnati:
Dr. Peter Hill - PetCare Animal Hospital
8610 Blue Ash Rd. Cincinnati, Ohio 45242 - Tel. 513-793-3032 - Fax: 513-793-2409 - DrHill@fuse.net - www.PetCareCincinnati.com
Has been involved in birds and exotics throughout his career spanning 25 years. and conduct my own private practices. Currently also performs as the Director of Veterinary Service at the Newport Aquarium.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Sarge, Get your bird to a vet ASAP...Doesn't sound like he is on the right meds for it to worsen like this...The bird is in stress trying to breath..:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, I would say you need an avian vet asap....try a different one.

Cruxon

Meeting neighbors
This is definitely upper respiratory tract infection! It also suggests Pneumonia! I would get my bird to the vet immediately! PLEASE TAKE HER NOW! I LOST A BIRD TO THE VERY SAME THING!

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hope he pulls through, update us please! I just got a baby Military, they are my dream bird!

:hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Is the breathing like this 24/7 Or is it worse at certain times of the day? This could be a health issue, some type of airbourne irratant, or a ntritional (vit A) defeciency.

Is the cage covered, and has any strong scented fabric softener sheet been used during washing the cage cover.

if you look into the mouth, towards the back to the throat....does the skintone look normal, swollen and red, or have any white lesions? And if you look at the roof of the mouth, their is a slit...is it free of any debry, such as a seed hull?

masklovies

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
It might be wise to ask the vet about Aspergillosis as it causes breathing problems. I had 2 lovebirds with this who were prescribed Baytril but it killed the bacteria which allowed the Asp to grow more and they passed. I'd always ask for antifungals now as well as antibiotics just in case. There's also F10 which is anti fungal and antibiotic and can be nebulised. Its a cleaning product but used here in the UK widely for nebulising breathing problems. Its seems less harmful than other meds like Sporanox.

Hope it isn't Asp but thought I'd mention it just in case.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, your bird need avian care. If you can't get to a vet please give us an update. I may be able to help you with emergency care until you can find a vet. Please provide the name of the antibiotics your bird is taking and the dosage. Your bird is going to need the correct antibiotics for his respiratory distress!

Keep your bird warm, 85 degrees. Is the bird eating and drinking?

Please send me a private message, need to call you.

gary

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thank you Gary :)

Sarge - you have to have a minimum of 20 posts to pm regular members

You can pm your info to me and I will be glad to relay it to Gary for you

Sarge

Checking out the neighborhood
Re: Military Macaw labored/loud breathing

Well, finally an update on our Military Macaw. First, in my haste and panic this morning, I said he was 7 years old. Actually, he was 17.

I want to send a very sincere thank you to all of those on this forum who offered their insight and comments. You are a great group of folks.

You may recall that my call for help went out about 7am today after our macaw (Sarge) started very labored breathing early this morning. We had taken him to the vet who normally maintains him for us last Tuesday to see why his breathing was getting somewhat labored. She has always done a good job with Sarge, but in our 12 years of owning him (adoption), he has never been ill. On Tuesday she did a swab of his mouth and found a little bacteria that shouldn't have been there so started him on a bacterial antibiotic (Orbax). We adminstered that daily for four days and saw no change until early this morning. That vet is not in on Saturdays, thus my panic post this morning. We were able to locate a vet who also handles exotics and was an hour away. We got Sarge there by 8am and her staff started him on oxygen. The vet arrived about 8:30am and after settling in soon began to check Sarge out. The oxygen did not help his breathing, but made him somewhat less stressed.

She x-rayed him and had a long discussion with us about him and her diagnosis. She said her best thought was aspergillosis along with pneumonia. We were to leave him there over the weekend for treatment, but she said his chances were less than 50/50. As we sat in our car ready to leave, the tech came out and tapped on our window. She said Sarge had suddenly taken a turn for the worse and we should come back in.

Within 10 minutes he died.

We will miss him very much. We feel huge amounts of guilt and our day has been tearful and dreadful. Again, thanks to all who tried to help.

Very sincerely,
Rick and Chris (and Sarge)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh my gosh....I am so sorry for you both. :hug8: You did seek the help he needed today, you did everything you could. My deepest sympathies. :hug8:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
How very tragic. I am so sorry for your loss.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Re: Military Macaw labored/loud breathing

I am so sorry for your loss :(

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I am so sorry!!!
It is so heart breaking to loose a beloved bird...I've been there also..:hug8:

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
I am so sorry for your loss. I understand how hard it is to lose a pet. We lost a great pet this week also. Thinking of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.