• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Microwaves and convection ovens?

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
So I will be moving out pretty soon and I've been buying everything I need like plates, lights, storage, etc. I will be moving into a camper, it's a 2011 Wildwood X-Lite, it has a microwave with it. We think it is the one that originally came with the camper, but we don't know for sure, we bought it used. In my shopping adventures I also bought a convection oven, it's a Cuisinart and it's pretty small, maybe a foot long. I say all of this to ask this: How do I know if the microwave is safe? I can't read on it anywhere if it has a nonstick coating. I plan on keeping most if not all the windows open a lot of the time to let fresh air in, but I plan on using the oven outside. The camper does come with a stove but I plan on never using it, if anything I will get a burner for outside. Because the windows will probably be open, will any fumes get in and hurt my bird? The only time I really use the convection oven my parents have now is to cook bird bread, will this brand new one cause issues? It says it has a nonstick coating for easy cleaning, will this contaminate the bird bread? All of my pots and pans are stainless steel but now I'm getting paranoid about those too! I am a vegetarian so I won't be cooking meat or fish or anything that needs to be heated up that much if that helps any.
I know this post sounds like a jumbled mess, I panicked lol.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If the non-stick coating in the convection oven is "Teflon" then it should not be used. Make sure that any appliance you have or get are PTFE and PFOA free.

Can't you just shut the window nearest the birds when you are cooking outside?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Contact the company with a model number (should be listed on the bottom or back) and ask if it contains any PTFE or PFOA. I know that some Cusinarts are all stainless steel, but not all of them are. As for the microwave, the older it is the more likely it is to contain a hazardous material.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
I'm fine with not using the microwave, all I use it for is reheating food or preparing my veggie patties, but I can do that in the oven I'm sure. I can work around a microwave, but the oven I can't. Are there any bird safe ovens out there? I need something pretty small. It doesn't have to be a convection oven, just something that cook bird bread.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know off the top of my head and would have to go digging myself. I do know that for toaster ovens, etc, you will usually have better luck with more expensive products from places like Cuisinart, Ninja, Emerill, etc. They tend to use better materials that don't need non-stick to keep them from falling apart. But that does not mean ALL of their items are PTFE and PFOA free. Your cheaper brands like Hamilton Beach, Faberware, etc, are much more likely to have non stick surfaces because it is cheap to produce and is much more appealing to that target market.

I would probably start on Amazon by looking for Stainless Steel Toaster Oven and work my way down the list, or email the company directly and ask which of their ovens contain no PTFE or PFOA.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
What about this? It seems like it's not non-stick.
Amazon.com: Toaster Oven 4 Slice, Multi-function Stainless Steel with Timer - Toast - Bake - Broil Settings, Natural Convection - 1100 Watts of Power, Includes Baking Pan and Rack by Mueller Austria: Kitchen & Dining
Honestly all of this is stressing me out lol, makes me wonder if chop would be easier than bread. I just don't know if they need protein and grains, and I don't know how long chop can last frozen. I am so worried about fumes hurting the bird but I also want him to get a decent diet without being too much work in a camper. Bird bread is about the most advanced thing I cook, I'm not really a chef lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they eat chop, that is almost always better. Depending on the flour used, it can sometimes convert in the body to sugar and cause health issues.

I freeze chop for 3 to 6 months without issues, and you can always add grains to that, cooked or raw.

As for the toaster, it looks promising. Just, again, contact the company to verify. The Q&A section has one answering saying it DOES include Teflon and one that says no. So verify that the inside and all included trays are PTFE and PFOA free.

Reactions: tka

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Daaaaang! I didn't know chop could last for that long! I use the Bird Mama Café, or something like that, for the bird bread base. I add chopped broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots to it. Sometimes I do get worried that it's not the healthiest thing for him, just because I know it has seeds and corn bits in it, I've heard corn isn't great for them. Do you have any simple chop recipes? Now that I've had him for about two months, I think I am ready to try it out. I never wanted to because I know you can't leave it in there all day (yeah I'm lazy) and my hours were kind of crazy.
I always seem to get side tracked on threads I've made...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
Okay so for a basic start I have
-Broccoli
-Carrots
-Cauliflower
-Quinoa
-Chickpeas

Do I need to cook the chickpeas if they come in a can? Or if I buy them raw, should I cook them? Same for the quinoa, can I just rinse the raw ones or is there some way to cook them? I've never really cooked in my life, so these could just be some dumb questions lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
All beans and legumes I cook just to be safe. Grains I usually don't :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I cook quinoa the day BEFORE I make chop. That way when you add it, it seems to soak up the vegetable juice.

After I make the chop, I put it in small snack bags, flat, and then put those in the freezer bags and put them in the freezer. Easy to find. Easy to use also since I only have 2 birds.

Markieb

Checking out the neighborhood
I purchased this toaster oven on amazon. I was going crazy trying to find a Teflon free toaster oven. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the only part that has Teflon is the baking tray which is removable and does not need to be used. It was more than I wanted to spend, however I know it is safe to use around my cockatiels minus the coated baking tray and I’m very happy with the quality.

Amazon.com: ConvectionWorks Hi-Q Intelligent Countertop Oven Set, 6-Slice Compact Convection Toaster, w/ Bamboo Cutting Board & Silicone Rack Handle (10 Accessories, Rotisserie & Spit Included), 1500 Watt, Stainless Steel, Teflon-free: Kitchen & Dining

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Okay so for a basic start I have
-Broccoli
-Carrots
-Cauliflower
-Quinoa
-Chickpeas

Do I need to cook the chickpeas if they come in a can? Or if I buy them raw, should I cook them? Same for the quinoa, can I just rinse the raw ones or is there some way to cook them? I've never really cooked in my life, so these could just be some dumb questions lol

Chickpeas in a can are already cooked. You will want to rinse very well and preferably buy the ones without salt added.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So I will be moving out pretty soon and I've been buying everything I need like plates, lights, storage, etc. I will be moving into a camper, it's a 2011 Wildwood X-Lite, it has a microwave with it. We think it is the one that originally came with the camper, but we don't know for sure, we bought it used. In my shopping adventures I also bought a convection oven, it's a Cuisinart and it's pretty small, maybe a foot long. I say all of this to ask this: How do I know if the microwave is safe? I can't read on it anywhere if it has a nonstick coating. I plan on keeping most if not all the windows open a lot of the time to let fresh air in, but I plan on using the oven outside. The camper does come with a stove but I plan on never using it, if anything I will get a burner for outside. Because the windows will probably be open, will any fumes get in and hurt my bird? The only time I really use the convection oven my parents have now is to cook bird bread, will this brand new one cause issues? It says it has a nonstick coating for easy cleaning, will this contaminate the bird bread? All of my pots and pans are stainless steel but now I'm getting paranoid about those too! I am a vegetarian so I won't be cooking meat or fish or anything that needs to be heated up that much if that helps any.
I know this post sounds like a jumbled mess, I panicked lol.
Were you able to find one? If so, which one did you buy? I am on a quest to find a bird safe toaster oven for our apartment. Our old one broke about a year ago and we have been without one since and we miss having one.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I purchased this toaster oven on amazon. I was going crazy trying to find a Teflon free toaster oven. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me the only part that has Teflon is the baking tray which is removable and does not need to be used. It was more than I wanted to spend, however I know it is safe to use around my cockatiels minus the coated baking tray and I’m very happy with the quality.

Amazon.com: ConvectionWorks Hi-Q Intelligent Countertop Oven Set, 6-Slice Compact Convection Toaster, w/ Bamboo Cutting Board & Silicone Rack Handle (10 Accessories, Rotisserie & Spit Included), 1500 Watt, Stainless Steel, Teflon-free: Kitchen & Dining
Did they say this oven was PTFE & PFOA free? I am looking for one that is free of both of these things.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Were you able to find one? If so, which one did you buy? I am on a quest to find a bird safe toaster oven for our apartment. Our old one broke about a year ago and we have been without one since and we miss having one.
It is nice to hear from you again, but I thought that you should know that this member has not been on since last year.