• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mickey's Pearly Whites! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
My jack russell Mickey has been getting a bit of a plaque/calculus build up on his teeth the past year or two. It's always seemed not quite worth the cost of a scale and polish at the vets. I work as a vet nurse now though, and i decided to book him in for a teeth clean (i loove staff discounts!!). :p Best thing was the vets let me do the whole thing myself! :D From the premed, to anaesthetising and intubating him, scale and polish and then waking him up. It was a great experience. And, Mickey's sparkly white teeth make me happy...even if dogs tend not to smile with their teeth. Here's a photo of my handsome boy, and one of his sparkly teeth.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Very nice! When my daughter had dogs she'd take care of their teeth herself also and they were very used to having her hands in tier mouth brushing, scaling, etc. For five/six year old's they had no plaque and had the whitest teeth and pink gums The vet used to love looking at them. LOL.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
very good thanks for sharing cute dog by the way

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Very cute doggy smile!!! :heart:
Nice job!!!

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Very nice! When my daughter had dogs she'd take care of their teeth herself also and they were very used to having her hands in tier mouth brushing, scaling, etc. For five/six year old's they had no plaque and had the whitest teeth and pink gums The vet used to love looking at them. LOL.
I've tried brushing Mickeys teeth, with all the chomping down on the brush from him i didn't get far. :p He gets things like Greenie's and Nylabones, but i need to start giving him actual bones again. I stopped when mum got her guidedog as if she was to dig up a stinky old bone in the yard mum would be walking around shopping centres with a farty dog (embarrassing). Strangely enough the Greenie's and Nylabones seem to be enough to keep Buffy's (guidedogs) teeth in good condition. Just not Migs.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Belinda, nice cleaning job :) Isn't it amazing how much more you understand about things like: "It's always seemed not quite worth the cost of a scale and polish at the vets."
Sometimes it's difficult to get client's to understand that tartar buildup will cause gingivitis which in turn can cause heart problems. I'm totally opposite from you though :) I big chicken when it comes to my own pets I stay out of the area! Mickey handsome little JRT. How does he do around all your birds?

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I'm totally opposite from you though :) I big chicken when it comes to my own pets I stay out of the area! Mickey handsome little JRT. How does he do around all your birds?
This was only the second dental i've done, but i didn't think Mickey would mind being a practice subject. When the vet on surgery for the day offered to let me do the whole thing she did make sure i was fine with working on my own pet, because obviously a lot of people would have issues. The only thing that freaked me out for a while was that his heart rate was around 75bpm for most of the time. The majority of the anaesthetics i've monitored have had the dogs up around 120+. But i was assured it was a good thing and meant he was fit. :p

As to how he does around the birds. He's had 5 years to get used to birds in the house (he's 7 years old). He doesn't like them, and he's not trusted unsupervised around them (as no dog should be anyway). But he has come to learn that if he so much as licks his lips in their direction he'll get a harsh NO. He ignores them. :lol:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Sheba is also quite young right? It takes a fair while for tartar to build up, especially if she gets things like dry food, Greenies, etc.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
Ohhh nice and white. My dog this year has had some problems as well. And over the last 8 year she never has.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Wow his teeth look great!

Status
Not open for further replies.