• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Michigan Members!!! Lost Kitty UPDATE: OLIVER IS HOME!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just put a can of tuna out by the pond on the golf course and checked around for him. After dinner I'll stroll the neighborhood and golf course to see if he's hanging out. There's ducks, geese, cotton tale bunnies and tons of wild birds so this area is a stray cat magnet! Will he come when called?

He knows his name, he comes when called in the house. I don't know if he will outside, he's an indoor kitty :(

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you by any chance tried putting out one of his used litter boxes? The smell carries a long way, sometimes it’ll help an indoor cat find their way back. If you’ve still got access to any of his used litter, that is.

Yes, litter box has been out since day 2, food out every night, his favorite stuffy is out, a blanked that he lays on is out too. We have had some heavy rains, so he might be hiding :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have access to any live traps? I had a friend go around the neighborhood with a few and asked a few neighbors if she could put live traps in their backyard. Ended up getting her cat back 2 weeks after losing him that way!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
The tuna is already gone! Just don't know who ate it. There are a lot of folks out walking their dogs right now so I'm guessing kitties would be staying out of sight. I'll check again when it starts to get dark. Sorry I didn't have better results but I'm not giving up!
Ps: was at JoAnn's and Home Depot today...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Theresa and@Ekkielu if you can afford it put out wifi trail cams, that how we found a stray dog at the farm.
ETA: Just sent FB page a couple family members in Sanilac Co., where my grandma grew up asked them to pass it on to others.

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Wait until it is dark and quiet, take some cat food with you, go out and call his name, and then.......listen. He may be much closer than you think.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
OMG! Thank you so much Sarah! I'm losing my mind with worry :sad1:
Theresa, I cross-posted your poster in my Ravelry knitting group. There are over 17000 members and are very cat friendly. They have helped find cats and even transport them like we do birds. If someone is near you, I will let you know.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
No luck. Saw a black and white kitty but that was all. But Rockysmom gave me an idea! I have a Ring doorbell so I put a plate of chicken scraps in front of my steps. I will be able to video what's going on out there! If he's around here (and likes chicken) we may just catch him eating. I know it's a long shot but you never know...we may just get lucky!

Tabracadabra

Meeting neighbors
If there’s any kind of “treat noise” he’s sensitive to, try that. I’m pretty sure our cat could hear someone shaking a bag of Whiskas Temptations on the moon. Or a video of an electric can opener played super loud on your phone, or a repeated sound file of a can of cat food being popped and opened. Gotta be pretty close for any of those to work, but fingers crossed!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is one potential sighting and the lady has a trap set, I hope it's him :fingerscrossed:
I did have one moment of unbelievable hope. My daughter's friend called and said her brother was on his way over, and he had found Oliver! It wasn't Oliver, he had inadvertently kidnapped someone elses cat!:omg:

Do you have access to any live traps? I had a friend go around the neighborhood with a few and asked a few neighbors if she could put live traps in their backyard. Ended up getting her cat back 2 weeks after losing him that way!
I have a friend that has one, but I wouldn't even know where to set them other than where the lady already has one set.

@Theresa and@Ekkielu if you can afford it put out wifi trail cams, that how we found a stray dog at the farm.
ETA: Just sent FB page a couple family members in Sanilac Co., where my grandma grew up asked them to pass it on to others.

I bought security cameras, but so far nothing :(

Wait until it is dark and quiet, take some cat food with you, go out and call his name, and then.......listen. He may be much closer than you think.
That's what we have been doing :(
Theresa, I cross-posted your poster in my Ravelry knitting group. There are over 17000 members and are very cat friendly. They have helped find cats and even transport them like we do birds. If someone is near you, I will let you know.
Thank you so much! My little sub has really come together for Oliver. While walking around looking for Oliver I run into people looking for Oliver :heart:
No luck. Saw a black and white kitty but that was all. But Rockysmom gave me an idea! I have a Ring doorbell so I put a plate of chicken scraps in front of my steps. I will be able to video what's going on out there! If he's around here (and likes chicken) we may just catch him eating. I know it's a long shot but you never know...we may just get lucky!
I have security cameras, but so far nothing :(
Call, and then listen. Rattle the food box, and then listen. I think he is closer than you think, just not coming out.

Once he gets hungry, he will come out.

I really hope so!

If there’s any kind of “treat noise” he’s sensitive to, try that. I’m pretty sure our cat could hear someone shaking a bag of Whiskas Temptations on the moon. Or a video of an electric can opener played super loud on your phone, or a repeated sound file of a can of cat food being popped and opened. Gotta be pretty close for any of those to work, but fingers crossed!
Been shaking the hell out of his treat container, the only other thing he's obsessed with is bananas and he would have to be damn close to hear me peeling a banana, and I've done that too :(
Possible leads are better than no leads!
Yes, they are
Raccoons always do that, they come with the territory. One of my cats got out and went up a neighbor's tree and his meow was so soft I couldn't hear him. But my flashlight caught his eyes. Keep persevering. Check under porches, in shacks, and up in trees.
I am, but it feels hopeless at times :sad1:
How's the search going? Any sightings?
Just the two I mentioned above :sad8:
BTW I work at that Depot!