• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mice! ick! gah...Go away!!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
They are climbing into the budgie cage. I have been removing food and water every night. They still show up. I locked up the Canary (enjoys free-flight), and put stickies, snap traps, and live traps everywhere.

The mice aren't fooled by any traps.
HATE the damn things!
At whit's end.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
You may have to get a professional to help find where they're getting in and nesting. I don't think your problems will go away until you find and block the source. :( Sorry you're having to deal with this!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
In one of my bedrooms I had some calling cards and couldn't find where they were coming from, I looked around and found that when the carpet was put in the dummies left the corners open, just enough for a mouse to come in. I put some steel wool in the hole and haven't found anymore. Also my exterminator found a nest under the house and got rid of them. So, check everywhere and make steel wool your best friend. (use the plain steel wool with nothing in them)

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Thanks.

This house is an old adobe. I go through a lot of steel wool. We keep the place clean and vacuumed, and that particular room had a recent COMPLETE clean out. Mice tend to be more of a problem for us in the Fall, but this year it started early, and has been exceptionally bad. Until the problem is fixed, I may move the cages into the study. At least the mice will be less likely to bother the birds in an area with more human traffic.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I stumbled upon a YouTube video a while ago showing how to catch mice in peanut oil. Maybe worth a shot? (As long as you make sure the budgies can't fall in, ofcourse)

That's interesting! He's gonna need more bowls.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The only dilemma with the peanut oil is, what do you do with all those little oily cuties afterwards?

The man in the video was nice enough to wash them and give them a little apartment and food.

What does the average person do with them?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thats my question too

Sylvester

Hit the Road
The only dilemma with the peanut oil is, what do you do with all those little oily cuties afterwards?

The man in the video was nice enough to wash them and give them a little apartment and food.

What does the average person do with them?
Maybe waaaay out into the country?