• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer's Parrot bites when I stop petting her

LenisLupus

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kirsten
My Meyer's Parrot, Delta, is 7 months old. She loves being pet. She seems to have a very dominant personality, so I try to limit the petting to use as a reward. She demands it so much that she has turned to biting me when I stop petting her. She was sitting on my shoulder earlier and I started petting her. When I stopped she started biting my neck, so I calmly placed her on her playstand and ignored her. She flew back to my shoulder, so I placed her back. She stayed there this time and I gave her a new toy. Later I had on my shoulder and pet her head, and when I stopped she bit my cheek. So I put her down, again. Another time I was petting her and the moment I stopped she bit my hand and did a grind and chew. Any suggestions? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I not be petting her?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Oh the grind & chew...they are masters at it. I'd say no shoulders now... Try to keep the upper hand or the meat grinder will make mincemeat...LOL

Sorry really a new one as they mostly bite out of nowwhere but if its after a petting session then I would not pet her until you figure it out & can turn that around.