1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meyer's Parrot bites when I stop petting her

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by LenisLupus, 6/8/18.

1. LenisLupus

LenisLupus Checking out the neighborhood

Kirsten
    My Meyer's Parrot, Delta, is 7 months old. She loves being pet. She seems to have a very dominant personality, so I try to limit the petting to use as a reward. She demands it so much that she has turned to biting me when I stop petting her. She was sitting on my shoulder earlier and I started petting her. When I stopped she started biting my neck, so I calmly placed her on her playstand and ignored her. She flew back to my shoulder, so I placed her back. She stayed there this time and I gave her a new toy. Later I had on my shoulder and pet her head, and when I stopped she bit my cheek. So I put her down, again. Another time I was petting her and the moment I stopped she bit my hand and did a grind and chew. Any suggestions? I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I not be petting her?

2. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bump!

3. Porter

Porter Sprinting down the street

Maggie
    Time to limit shoulder time!
    She can't be trusted up there so don't let her up there.

LenisLupus and hrafn like this.
  4. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Oh the grind & chew...they are masters at it. I'd say no shoulders now... Try to keep the upper hand or the meat grinder will make mincemeat...LOL

Sorry really a new one as they mostly bite out of nowwhere but if its after a petting session then I would not pet her until you figure it out & can turn that around.

LenisLupus likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)