• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mexican Green Conure

Amyann4

Moving in
Hi! I am new to this forum and I am super excited to be here. I came to this forum to ask a few questions about the Mexican Green Conure. I have been looking around for another bird and during my search I went to a local specialty pet store and was looking around and I fell in love with this beautiful bird. The bird is still a baby around 4 months. It was pretty shy and nervous but calmed down when I held it closer to me and scratched it’s head. After I left I tried to do some research on the species and I couldn’t find a lot of information. I don’t want to just purchase a bird without feeling like I know about the species. Does anyone who own one of the conures have any information on owning one? I already have two amazons so I understand the basics of keeping parrots, I am looking for more species specific info.
Thank you!

Attachments

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know anything about this species. But my gosh, the bird is so attractive! I love all green birds. Good luck learning about him/her.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
very beautiful bird

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are semi related to other aratinga conjures and used to be classified as such, but are in their own family. Psittacara holochlorus.
Since the name change is recent, you may have luck with the old categorization : Aratinga holochlora

Green Conures | Beauty of Birds

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Welcome

What @Mizzely said! Are you familiar with Aratingas? You are now!

In Nicaragua, we called them Nicaraguan Greens. They preferred the mountains, but there was a flock further south.

My conure loved sitting on the porch and calling them. She seemed to enjoy their "clucky" sounds more than the screechy flock calls. I think those "clucky" sounds tend to be nesting sounds as their timing was quite predictable.

Amyann4

Moving in
Do you own one of these birds? Do you find it to be extremely loud? The noise isn’t a concern for me but it would be for my family
Welcome

What @Mizzely said! Are you familiar with Aratingas? You are now!

In Nicaragua, we called them Nicaraguan Greens. They preferred the mountains, but there was a flock further south.

My conure loved sitting on the porch and calling them. She seemed to enjoy their "clucky" sounds more than the screechy flock calls. I think those "clucky" sounds tend to be nesting sounds as their timing was quite predictable.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
No. Currently, my only conures are a BCC in quarantine, a Sun and Yellow-side. I've had rescues and rehomes before, but never a Green. When I moved to Nicaragua, I only had 3 birds.

It was my Pineapple that would sit outside with me and we shared fresh fruit. I didn't eat her stuff and she didn't eat mine. Most of the month, it was just me and the birds, pet and wild.

At the time, Nicaraguan Greens could not be exported. Obviously, I don't know about now, but probably only breeder-raised birds are allowed in the USA.

I never knew anyone done there who kept them as pets but I didn't live in the high mountains. As far as I understood, this flock so far south was a fluke.

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
BTW, my Sun just molted out to look like a Jenday juvenile and is both screechy and clucky, so I'm having him DNA'd. His previous owner knew little to nothing about conures.

My BCC is in quarantine and "talks" to him. She's sweet and only loud because of him, I think. (She's my first BCC.)

R12372

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robert Barnett
I too was looking for another bird and came across the Mexican Green Conure. Bonded immediately. I put a deposit on it the other night. I got my new cage today and will be going to pick it up and take it home tomorrow. But i was trying to do some research and didn’t find much on this bird. Have you had any luck finding info. I see your original post was 2 years ago. How have things been with your MGC?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I too was looking for another bird and came across the Mexican Green Conure. Bonded immediately. I put a deposit on it the other night. I got my new cage today and will be going to pick it up and take it home tomorrow. But i was trying to do some research and didn’t find much on this bird. Have you had any luck finding info. I see your original post was 2 years ago. How have things been with your MGC?
Unfortunately, you will most likely not receive a reply as this member has not posted since November 2018.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@R12372 I would say these guys are probably most like red throated conures.... which you can't find much info about, either!

That said, any conure information in general should, more or less, be able to be applied to your new baby! The green conures aren't all that too common unfortunately, but they are very cute and potentially clownish birds! :) Congrats!

R12372

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Robert Barnett
Thank you Monica.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name