• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Metal Smell From Cage

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Hello all. I received a used Prevue Hendryx cage that is made of wrought iron and is powder coated. I washed every piece very thoroughly, but noticed that there's a metallic smell coming from these holes that are in the metal poles. I was wondering what this could be from, and if I should be concerned. I haven't placed him in the new cage, and am thinking about wiping it down and seeing if the smell returns. Thoughts?

(I'm also not sure if the smell was there before I cleaned it. I cleaned it with apple cider vinegar and dawn dish soap, and rinsed very thoroughly.)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If the cage was second hand, best to soak in bleach for 10 minutes (10parts water-1part bleach) Rinse super well after with plenty of water.
Not sure if it will help with the smell.
Maybe the smell is corrosion/oxidizing inside the holes?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Powder coating only covers the outside of the metalwork. What you're smelling could well be the rust on the inside from the moisture. As long as there's no damage around the holes and they're all closed off when the cage is assembled it should be okay. Make sure you give the cage at least a week in a warm dry area to fully dry before assembly or it'll just slowly rot away.
ACV could have made it worse being an acid. Make sure it's fully rinsed away before drying.