• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Metacam and Kidney Failure - A Rare Side Effect

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
*** WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES BELOW ***

It all started with an itchy bird in November. Then she started feather chewing on her back. Then it was skin picking in her armpits. The first day we saw blood on her beak we started looking for a better (i.e. avian-certified) vet and got a real diagnosis.

On December 1st, our first visit to the new vet, she was prescribed Ketohex (a topical spray 2x daily for the potentially-infected wounds in armpits) and Metacam for pain relief (0.1 mL of 1.5 mg/mL suspension by mouth every morning and evening).

On December 6th the culture tests came back. Her picking resulted in dual Staphylococcus and Enterobacter infections. Due to a failure of the pharmacy to notify us of the filled prescription, she wasn't started on additional medication until December 9th. At that point we started her on Ciprofloxacn, an antibiotic (0.5 mg/mL in her drinking water) and Ketoxonazole, an anti-fungal since birds are often susceptible to to fungal infections while on antibiotics (0.2 mg/mL in her drinking water).

On December 10th we found out that Rhubarb tested positive to Avian BornaVirus (ABV), which may have contributed to her initial tingling/itches. Thankfully she had NO gastrointestinal symptoms.

On December 11th we ran out of Metacam and by the evening of the 13th she started to pick her back VERY aggressively:
Back picking.png

Our vet kindly came in and saw her on the 14th, even though his office is closed on Sundays. He refilled our metacam prescription and fitted her for a collar so she could heal without picking. After the initial angry bird tantrum was thrown, she was happy to accept scritches as usual:
Collar.png

She kept getting better, with a healthy appetite and stabilized weight (and even a little gain) until the 26th (a Friday). Then she started to drink a bit more water and had somewhat watery droppings. For those who aren't familiar with reading bird droppings, they consist of three parts: Feces (brown/green little "log"), uric acid (white paste) and a small amount of clear liquid urine. Uric acid is how birds and reptiles conserve water while clearing out nitrogenous waste from the breakdown of protein in their food and recycling of protein in their bodies. Anyway, enough poopology...

She kept getting more and more sedentary while her poop kept getting more watery (polyuria) and she kept drinking more water (polydipsia). Why is it that she always seems to get worse over a weekend?! We kept her warm and provided diluted organic coconut water (1 part coco water to 3 parts pure water) to replenish her electrolytes. She was drinking as much in a few hours as she normally would during an entire day. She seemed to be doing a bit better at first, but by the evening of the 28th she was suddenly much worse off with droppings that looked like this:
poop.jpg
(Huge amounts of urine with very little uric acid. Thankfully she didn't have diarrhea, which is defined as loose/watery feces.)

We already had a vet appointment for the morning of the 29th. That morning when I got her up she was heavily favoring her left foot, and basically refused to move unless she absolutely had to do so. We took her to the vet and during his examination, he removed some of the smaller scabs (from her wing/elbow joints) to see if the infection had resolved underneath. A white goo came out of the wound:
Uric Acid.png

He examined it closely and told us this was URIC ACID accumulating around her wing joint. She was having a sudden case of very severe gout. He drew some blood for tests and told us to stop ALL remaining medications immediately. He proscribed oral allopurinol (a medicine that reduces production of uric acid and increases secretion of it) starting that night. We took her home, gave her the first dose of allopurinol and fed her crushed Harrison's pellets mixed into her seeds with a bit of water since she was having a hard time breaking down the whole pellets. The temperature in the room was turned up to 80F (27C) and she seemed to be doing better, even putting up a little fight when it came time for receiving medicine.

Yesterday morning (the 30th) she was doing a bit better with more uric acid and less urine in her droppings as well as less water drinking. Then we got the call from the vet. Her blood uric acid was 103 dg/mL, indicating a massive loss of kidney function. Normal for a bird like her is 2-10 dg/mL. She also had blood sugar levels that bordered on diabetes. Bird blood sugar can be elevated to a reading of 500 during times of stress without serious negative consequences long term. According to our vet, above 600 is considered diabetic in a cockatoo. Rhubarb had a blood sugar of 580. We asked if hospitalization would be wise so she could be monitored full time. He agreed and so our little girly bird is now in the avian ICU:
ICU.jpg
(When I asked if we could have a picture of her in the incubator he took us right back to see her, even though I'd only meant for someone to take a picture for us. We have an AWESOME vet!)

As the temperature climbed she looked more comfortable, even managing a little face puff right before we left:
Face puff.png

They're going to be putting in an intraosseous IV so they be be sure she's staying hydrated and if she has any more watery poop they will be testing for urine glucose to confirm (or disprove) the possibility of diabetes which can also cause polyuria/polydipsia.

This has been a rough way to end the year. ABV alone is a life changer. Loss of kidney function with diabetes on top of that makes her possible outcome grim at best. And if she has diabetes and manages to pull through we will be looking at constantly monitoring her blood glucose and giving insulin daily. Does anyone have experience with diabetes in birds?

I know I didn't ask much by way of questions, but I wanted to put info out so that if someone else has a bird with a similar problem while taking Metacam/antibiotics/antifungals they can react sooner then I did. I keep kicking myself for letting it go an extra two days just because I already had an appointment booked for the 29th. I should have called when I first noticed some watery droppings. Don't make my mistake!

:gal2:

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my! Poor little girl! I am sending prayers to her and :hug8:to you! Your vet sounds like he knows what is best. I know the diagnosis is not good and keeping her comfortable is the goal. Don't beat yourself up, you doing what is best for her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Rhubarb! I hope she gets better soon. And don't blame yourself, you're doing everything you can for her. Keeping her in my prayers. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First, I'm terribly sorry that Rhubarb is so very sick. And that you are having to go through this horrible experience.

Second, that was a very good write up. You must be somewhat of a geek, like I am.

Third, I couldn't understand how you determined that the Metacam had damaged Rhubarb's kidneys. My Jasper has been on daily Metacam for 14 years and she hasn't had any kidney damage due to the Metacam (her chem panels are always fine). Jasper's Pain is far beyond Metacam and she is now on gabapentin which I have to supplement with metacam occasionally. She was on Itraconazole for several months (for aspergillosis) and that certainly damaged her liver, but her liver has been held within standards with daily doses of Milk Thistle.

I wish the very best for Rhubarb and you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH no this is so sad, especially this time of the year. Praying here for recovering and healing. :hug8:

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
It could be the combination on the ABV and the Ciprofloxacin. Cipro can cause kidney failure in humans who take it especially if they have a compromised immune system. Such as diabetes. The metacam does come with a warning. It filters through the kidneys so it is always a risk. It would be a higher risk in a bird with ABV who has an active infection or diabetes. Good luck to you and praying for a quick recovery for Rhubarb. :hug8:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I am so sorry.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I am so sorry you both are going through this :sadhug2: :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
First, I'm terribly sorry that Rhubarb is so very sick. And that you are having to go through this horrible experience.

Second, that was a very good write up. You must be somewhat of a geek, like I am.

Third, I couldn't understand how you determined that the Metacam had damaged Rhubarb's kidneys. My Jasper has been on daily Metacam for 14 years and she hasn't had any kidney damage due to the Metacam (her chem panels are always fine). Jasper's Pain is far beyond Metacam and she is now on gabapentin which I have to supplement with metacam occasionally. She was on Itraconazole for several months (for aspergillosis) and that certainly damaged her liver, but her liver has been held within standards with daily doses of Milk Thistle.

I wish the very best for Rhubarb and you.
Thank you for that... I am a bit of a geek. :) It wasn't my idea about the Metacam. The vet said he's seen it in a few avian cases over the years. I have to apologize because I don't want people to think that Metacam CAUSED the kidney problems. There was probably some kind of subclinical renal dysfunction that was exacerbated by Metacam clearance. And there's many things that can cause low-normal kidney function including developmental stress (getting too cool or not turning enough while in the egg), toxic metal exposure, or even avian bornavirus (which we now know she has). She started with the Metacam before we knew she had ABV and there was no indication of compromised kidney function at the time. This is a RARE scenario that most likely came out of preexisting and undetected low kidney function.

I'm so sorry that your baby has had to be on pain management for such a long time. If I may ask, is it related to age? Or some other cause? :hug8: to Jasper. Also, how do you get her to take the Milk Thistle? Rhubarb steadfastly refuses to eat even her favorite nut if it's "contaminated" with the liquid (alcohol-free) Milk Thistle supplement.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It could be the combination on the ABV and the Ciprofloxacin. Cipro can cause kidney failure in humans who take it especially if they have a compromised immune system. Such as diabetes. The metacam does come with a warning. It filters through the kidneys so it is always a risk. It would be a higher risk in a bird with ABV who has an active infection or diabetes. Good luck to you and praying for a quick recovery for Rhubarb. :hug8:
There was so much going on it's hard to tell which one was the final blow. Possibly just a perfect storm of events.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
****UPDATE****

Thank you all so much for you love and support. I hopped on to give you the latest news from the vet. Rhubarb is already doing MUCH BETTER. Last night they started an intraosseos IV to get fluids into her. She was pretty dehydrated and I've learned that a needle into the ulnar bone is the standard of care in these cases. She's on a saline drip at 1 cc an hour. They haven't been able to do the glucose test because she is no longer having watery droppings! That means that diabetes is probably not going to be an issue and the polyuria was most likely related to medication and not high blood sugar!

After the IV was set and her wing was wrapped to secure it, they fed her. Apparently she was "very mad" about the whole situation and threw food around for quite awhile before settling down enough to eat a good, healthy amount. The general report from the vet is good and I'm so happy that her kidneys appear to be working again at some level... I don't know that we're out of the woods yet, but the trees might be thinning a bit.

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
There was so much going on it's hard to tell which one was the final blow. Possibly just a perfect storm of events.

Your point is very important though. We have to be careful with the meds and understand the risks. For our pets and ourselves. Just for example. I was diagnosed with juvenile onset rheumatoid arthritis and was given very strong meds that I was told were going to make it better slow damage and help with pain. So I dismissed the warnings and side effects because I was going to be normal again and do gymnastics again! The meds had helped so many without hurting them. But for me it caused major health problems, constant lung infections, kidney infections ect. I now have the start of glaucoma and I am only 39 years old. There are very few meds I can take for relief for my pain. I had to quit the drugs that helped so many. Including my husband. It is hard for some to understand but what works for one won't always work for another and we have to be aware. I'm so glad you were right on top of things for your baby.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope she improves by the minute! :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
****UPDATE****

Thank you all so much for you love and support. I hopped on to give you the latest news from the vet. Rhubarb is already doing MUCH BETTER. Last night they started an intraosseos IV to get fluids into her. She was pretty dehydrated and I've learned that a needle into the ulnar bone is the standard of care in these cases. She's on a saline drip at 1 cc an hour. They haven't been able to do the glucose test because she is no longer having watery droppings! That means that diabetes is probably not going to be an issue and the polyuria was most likely related to medication and not high blood sugar!

After the IV was set and her wing was wrapped to secure it, they fed her. Apparently she was "very mad" about the whole situation and threw food around for quite awhile before settling down enough to eat a good, healthy amount. The general report from the vet is good and I'm so happy that her kidneys appear to be working again at some level... I don't know that we're out of the woods yet, but the trees might be thinning a bit.
Great news! Fingers crossed that she continues to improve and can go home soon.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
this is great news! :dancing: :dance5: :laughing12: :dance4: :hug8: Go Rhubarb!! :highfive:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Mmmmq That is wonderful news about Rhubarb - at least you can take a few breathes.

Jasper was hatched with three toes forward on her left foot. A vet performed an operation when she was just a few months old to turn the outside toe back. It had to be done, because she was walking farther and farther on the side of her foot. When she was finally given to me at 6 1/2 years old she already had arthritis in that foot and we started her on Metacam. Then in 2007 she lost 1/2 of the inside rear toe on the same foot. She got an infection in the toe and had a terrible time getting well. By then she had developed arthritis in her right ankle and toes. Recently she had to have the original bad toe and the inside rear toe on her left foot amputated due to pain and the fact that she was walking on the side of her foot again. During the amputation Dr. discovered that the bone that all of the toes hook onto was deteriorating - more pain. I don't know what can be done now, other than amputate her left foot above the ankle and that leaves all of the pressure on her right foot which is getting worse and worse arthritis all of the time. She's a happy bird and I'm not miserly with pain meds.

She has had severe congestive heart failure since I got her and within the last four years she has developed very bad atherosclerosis. She isn't going to live forever and there is no reason for her to live in pain. We have to make decisions for them - they can't talk. Her vet, Dr. Driggers, has been a true blessing and has been there every minute through all of Jasper and Hank's illnesses.

Jasper is 21 years old and takes all of her meds by syringe. She's been medicated twice a day for the last 14 years.

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry

Your point is very important though. We have to be careful with the meds and understand the risks. For our pets and ourselves. Just for example. I was diagnosed with juvenile onset rheumatoid arthritis and was given very strong meds that I was told were going to make it better slow damage and help with pain. So I dismissed the warnings and side effects
Yep, I went through something kinda similar when the dentist discovered I had high blood pressure while in his chair, same thing happened when I was at the DR's so she put me on 20mg of Lysinopril with a diuretic. I tried to tell them that I normally don't have BP issues but I hate being at DR's and am uptight and upset. Doc picked it because it works very well for her patients and is on the generic drug list so is 4 bucks a month for 30, plus low side effects.
I immediately started having issues with it making it hard to work, sensitive to light and heat, just generally feeling lousy and felt much better with the BP issues. I told her about it but also said I'm sure I'll get over it shortly. WELL 2 weeks later I fell from the third layer of scaffolding when I sat down a bucket of cement after climbing up the ladder and just stepping off. BP fell to nothing, my brain went bye bye, and I had just enough time to aim for a huge Lilac bush I saw below me as I fell. I also pushed off a bit so I didn't bounce off the house and scaffolding to the ground. I hit that bush dead center straight in but pitched forward when I hit the ground, hit my right elbow in the dirt which came up and clocked me in the right eye and knocked me out cold for 10 minutes. That broke my right elbow joint though I didn't know it till the second day at the trauma center.
My doc told me to stop being so stoic and halved my dose, I still had issues and started taking it at night and now problems gone and BP great. I looked up the side effects which it said only 4 percent of patients get, I checked off every one but the throat swelling closed due to severe allergic reaction. Dentist and doc learned a valuable lesson and I learned to calm down and not sweat the little crap though till recently my BP still goes up at the docs but she now knows I have white coat anxiety and as long as it's good at home we're OK, though last visit I finally was calm and it was 134/68 :dance4:

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Please don't blame yourself as birds are tricky little creatures to manage medically. ABV is huge to deal with in the first place. Metacam or any NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory) all carry the potential for kidney damage unfortunately. If any patient is on them long term we run blood work to make sure the body is tolerating it.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
*****UPDATE*****

A new email from the vet this evening. She is eating well and drinking but no longer PU/PD! :dance4:

He said the wound on her left wing opened up again (the one in the picture above) and has started weeping uric acid. This is GOOD NEWS because it's getting out of her body without her little kidneys having to work overtime to clear it out. She is climbing around the toy and perch in the birdy ICU incubator. His words are that she is "very active." This is so good to hear because she's been going slower and slower over the past few weeks.

I want to be very excited but there were so many setbacks and reversals that I don't want to get my hopes too high. Still, it's such a HUGE relief to hear that she is doing better.