• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Merlin developed a new song

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Merlin is about 4 year old and he has a young female friend since last October. Although she is very young (9.5 months), she has a brown ceres already, only for the past 2 weeks I'd say. Merlin isn't courting her but they are definitely bonded and enjoy each other's company.

Now I've notice that for the past 2 months, Merlin has added a couple of undertones to his usual chirp/singing and I wondered what it was, if it is common, means anything special or is just something he found out and enjoys doing... I have no recording yet. I'll try to get one, but of course he stops each time I take the camera out so I don't know how long time it will take.

To describe it, he sings, then suddenly I can hear a tone under his song (he doesn't interrupt the song to make that tone) which sounds very much like a cuckoo, with much air in the texture. Then that tone would come back a little later, or he would make a lower one. He never repeats the lower one, he starts again at the first one, like let's say, a donkey or again, a cuckoo, would always have their sounds in the same order.
I believe the tones to be a D and an A, and the melody would look like this:

Chirping line: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Undertones: ...........A...........D...........A...........D...........A...........A...........D...........A........... D

Not easy to explain, but I would think those of you who've noticed your budgies doing it should get it. I'm working on trying to get a recording!!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Wow, I think I know what you mean here with the undertone, but WOW, I could never attempt to explain it... what a great job of explaining, even down to the notes you believe him to be alternating! I can play both D and A chords on my guitar, but I don't think I could listen to one without knowing what it was and identify the note! So.... you are thinking Merlin is developing a courtship song maybe? ;):heart::xflove:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow, I think I know what you mean here with the undertone, but WOW, I could never attempt to explain it... what a great job of explaining, even down to the notes you believe him to be alternating! I can play both D and A chords on my guitar, but I don't think I could listen to one without knowing what it was and identify the note! So.... you are thinking Merlin is developing a courtship song maybe? ;):heart::xflove:
Actually I feel a little silly now :o:, trying to record him singing I discovered that Nova is also singing those undertones :wacky:, but much lighter, which is why I didn't notice it before. I guess Merlin has always had them and just made them stronger those past weeks... As a courting trick, or because he is getting more mature, who knows... :cool:

As for the notes... I had to check them on a piano to be sure!! I am unfortunately not that gifted!! :rofl:

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
As for the notes... I had to check them on a piano to be sure!! I am unfortunately not that gifted!!

Still VERY impressive! ;)
Do you ever post youtube videos of them @Gribouille ?
It was only because of my birds that I learned to post them... now we watch home movies together, so no, don't feel too silly with this identifying notes! LOL! :laugh:

I need to do some more videos... just noticed this one is from almost a year ago! (And those bad slotted balls that caught Fiona's foot after that are gone, gone gone!)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Funny, you can really see they enjoy that shower! Here are my birds videos:

Tikki also loved showers when he was small:

Willow playing (he is the only bird who ever cared about that toy, should have given it to the new owner!):

Twitter fighting the tea ball:

Twitter demonstrating the use of our shower cage:

Merlin thinking he is Elvis:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Fergus and Fiona say - (re: Tikki) - Now THAT'S a shower! How cool to have a cage dedicated for this.
Willow does love that toy, reminds me of how Lucy (boy) used to play with his toys.
Twitter is absolutely hilarious with that tea ball!
Merlin could make the 'three Tenors' turn into Four Tenors!

SO cute! I love watching all their antics. :heart:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Fergus and Fiona say - (re: Tikki) - Now THAT'S a shower! How cool to have a cage dedicated for this.
Willow does love that toy, reminds me of how Lucy (boy) used to play with his toys.
Twitter is absolutely hilarious with that tea ball!
Merlin could make the 'three Tenors' turn into Four Tenors!

SO cute! I love watching all their antics. :heart:
Thanks, birds are some funny little creatures!
I had to make a cage for showers (and transport between cages) since my birds weren't tame and I really didn't want to shower them in their usual cage. I tried it once, took SOOO long time to dry the whole thing so it wouldn't rust! And they didn't like the spray bottle either. Merlin never liked to shower, he is such a boy! Both tikki and Nova love(d) it, and while Tikki didn't really influence Merlin, I can see that Nova won't hear about having a dirty cage mate, so I can now see Merlin dutifully bowing his hear and wait until it's over without uttering a pip :roflmao:
And yeah, Merlin has been practicing with Bocelli the whole Winter :lol: