• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meloxicam question

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
When I was at the Vet's last friday I picked up some more meloxicam for Bodie. Dr. Well's said I can use it "as needed" . I must have mis understood because I had been giving Bodie a daily dose for about 2 months since he had his hospital stay. :wideyed: I swear the vet tech told me to try giving it once a day ( they had been giving it to him twice a day in the hospital). Anyway Dr. Wells said not to worry he would be ok. As need meaning if I notice any signs of pain.

Any body else give meloxicam "as needed"?

The dr did mention she has never seen any thing bad happen with daily doses. She did say the med is filtered thru the kidneys so if became dehydrated then it could be a problem.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yep, if someone gets their toes bitten and they are limping around, I will dose them for a day or two.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I keep metacam on hand for my old dove, she has arthritis in her hip and the cold weather bothers her, I give it to her before bed so she has a restful night.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Sam used to take meloxicam freely. It worked well. He had to stop when it mixed badly with an antibiotic and caused him to develop ulcers in his GI tract. - I don't want to scare anyone with that last sentence. - I've given it to a few of my birds with no issue. I've heard that it is a pretty safe medicine, unless your Sam. :grumpy: