• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Megabacteriosis / Avian Gastric Yeast [Sad Update-Post 8]

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hello

Skai has been diagnosed with AGY after a fecal test. My other lovebird (Ronnie) that I have gotten (2-3 months) tested clear. Should we also test my sister Macaw to make sure? they only share the room briefly and during night, otherwise they are kept in different rooms most of the time.

I don't know how he got it - are there any possible causes? I keep a good hygiene schedule I think with there cages. I clean the toys, clean the cage thoroughly every two weeks. I use bedding substrate without the grate. change their dry food every 3 days and water daily, and do not keep veggies/fruits for more than 4hrs.

I was advised not to put Skai & Ronnie out at the same time for three weeks.

Has anyone had their lovebird with this diagnosis? I appreciate any insight or feedback.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have a macaw that had it. It's not common in macaws and I was told that it was secondary to his other infections. I would suggest getting F10, it's a veterinary disinfectant that is safe around birds. Collect fecal samples for a few days for testing. AGY will not show up in every fecal sample.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
AGY is a dangerous disease and is caused by a megabateria which is really a fungus. The only effective treatment is oral Amphtericin B (Megabac-S from Vetafarm: Bird Medications Because it is spread by direct contact with the fungus, you need to separate Skai from the other birds and use F10 to disinfect everthing.

http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Megabacteriosis-Avian-Gastric-Yeast.pdf

"Causes

The avian gastric yeast disease is caused by direct contact with infected food or the droppings of an infected bird. An animal can also be infected if the yeast microbesare found in the environment."
Gastric Yeast Infection in Birds | petMD

Good luck with your baby.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
I have a macaw that had it. It's not common in macaws and I was told that it was secondary to his other infections. I would suggest getting F10, it's a veterinary disinfectant that is safe around birds. Collect fecal samples for a few days for testing. AGY will not show up in every fecal sample.
Thank you Sarah, will purchase the F10 now. Thankfully it is available at the pet store.

I have left Ronnie at the vet half of the day for them to scoop out fresh sample, so I think she is fine, I just have to be careful around Skai. As for the Macaw, we still have not taken her to the vet, but soon.

The x-rays (will upload later once I receive them from the vet) actually showed something small has been sitting inside Skai, and the vet is suspecting for it to be heavy metal :( will take him back in 14 days for a routine check up & beak trim. Unfortunately Skai never been an active lovebird and had a rough start .... there is a good chance it is a secondary infection esp he came from an aviary.

AGY is a dangerous disease and is caused by a megabateria which is really a fungus. The only effective treatment is oral Amphtericin B (Megabac-S from Vetafarm: Bird Medications Because it is spread by direct contact with the fungus, you need to separate Skai from the other birds and use F10 to disinfect everthing.

http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Megabacteriosis-Avian-Gastric-Yeast.pdf

"Causes

The avian gastric yeast disease is caused by direct contact with infected food or the droppings of an infected bird. An animal can also be infected if the yeast microbesare found in the environment."
Gastric Yeast Infection in Birds | petMD
Thank you Mary. The doc prescribed me a medicine but I believe an alternative to Amphtericin B since she said the treatment was not available in the UAE. I will call tomorrow to know the name exactly, otherwise she gave me the medicine in a vial for 21 days.

I will do my best in disinfecting cage/toys and keep him in another room.

Thank you for your input

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@remazera Do you think it's possible that Skai ate something metallic? It can be incredibly hard for them to figure out the mystery masses from x-rays. When my mom had Boo (female lovebird), she became very ill and almost died from what was at first suspected to be ingested metal - like what your vet is seeing. They gave her the chelation treatment and antibiotics at the same time, and she got better, but the mystery object remained. The (very experienced) vet then concluded that maybe it was a bit of cuttlebone or who knows what else, but it was apparently not metal. The antibiotics may have resolved some infection that was making her sick, but it's still unclear to this day.

I hope they can do something to help and that Skai makes a full recovery!

P.S. None of mine have had AGY.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
@remazera Do you think it's possible that Skai ate something metallic? It can be incredibly hard for them to figure out the mystery masses from x-rays. When my mom had Boo (female lovebird), she became very ill and almost died from what was at first suspected to be ingested metal - like what your vet is seeing. They gave her the chelation treatment and antibiotics at the same time, and she got better, but the mystery object remained. The (very experienced) vet then concluded that maybe it was a bit of cuttlebone or who knows what else, but it was apparently not metal. The antibiotics may have resolved some infection that was making her sick, but it's still unclear to this day.

I hope they can do something to help and that Skai makes a full recovery!

P.S. None of mine have had AGY.
Thank you, I really hope Skai will become better, he is breaking my heart to see him in this state. :(

Hmmm .. the only metal stuff in the cage are from his hanger (for toys), cuttlebone hanger and the cage itself ... it is very possible something might have chipped off, but otherwise I am very careful when they are out of the cage. If anything at all .. I would guess a plastic piece :sad9: ... I will do an xray in the 14 days follow up and check if the object still remains.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@remazera I can just imagine - it kills me when one of my babies is really sick.

Is the metal all stainless steel or something safe for him? I would inspect his cage for anything suspect and remove it, including anything that plastic bits might break off of (or might've broken off of).

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hello ..

I am sad to say Skai passed away yesterday ... things went downhill fast and the vet could not save him, even tho he was showing signs of progress the previous day ... I am very sad of his loss

They did an autopsy today and found out the material inside was a cloth and not metal. I am going tomorrow to confirm.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sad2: I am so sorry to hear that Skai is gone.

Did you have a happy hut in the cage?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No huts .. I am highly suspecting the rope perch as the vet said the color of the cloth is navy - I will find out tomorrow...
Trixie - Medium Rope Perch 66cm diameter 18mm
Oh no...:( Yes, when the rope frays, it can become dangerous and sometimes they will ingest it or even get tangled in it. (I inspect mine often, but I wonder if I should just do away with them altogether.) I'm so sorry. :sadhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My sincere sympathy for your loss of Skai.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your loss! :(

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry for your loss.
Thank you for updating us about Skai.
:sorrow:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm so, so sorry to hear your baby is gone. My heart goes out to you. I do want to thank you for mentioning the results of his necropsy. Several of my cages have rope perches, which I'm now going to have replaced.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street