• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Yoshi

Bananerz

Meeting neighbors
I just recently got a 1.5 year old pied male that I named Yoshi. :)
He's very untamed. I can't put my hands near him without him flying off or trying to bite or something. I've never had a completely untamed bird before, so I'd really like some input on how to teach him in not so bad.

His wings aren't clipped and I really don't want to clip them but it is a half getting him back to his cage when I have to go somewhere. However I have him in a safe room he can wander and fly in without getting hurt (I had to remove and take down a lot of stuff but oh well, he's safe) so it's not very urgent to put him in his cage, it's just that I don't think he ever goes back to it, not even to eat or drink. I don't want to enable him by putting food and water out his cage, and he knows it's in there. He does eat and all when I put him in. Should I just trust he'll go back when he needs to?

Now as far as taming. If I hold a twig of millet up to him he'll eat it, and sometimes eat from my fingers, but otherwise he doesn't like me near him. I know how to bond with him when he's in the cage.. Sit by him and talk and put my hand on our in the cage. But what about when he's not in the cage? He won't fly towards me, or even near me, even if I put millet on the floor nearby. Do I just have to keep trying every day and wait?

And any other tips you may have are very welcomed :)

Attachments

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
What a beautiful boy, love his big crest. :heart:
Welcome to AA, Yoshi.

I would continue just being patient with him, and offering the millet so he can learn hands are positive. Let him go back into the cage by himself, since forcing him may be more harm then good. You could try a perch, millet etc. to persuade him back into the cage if he won't by himself.
But overall, I'd recommend just being consistent and patient; going at his pace.

Congrats on your handsome boy!
:congrats5:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new cutie! Since he knows food is in his cage, he will go back when he needs to. It's nice you have sa safe room where he can spread his wings. I also suggest being patient and giving him time. Sit quietly in the room, talk softly to him, and keep offering millet. When he starts coming to you for the millet, I would say a command, like "come", so he will learn that the word "come" gets him a treat. Just take it very slow and be very consistent. Try to never force him to do anything. After he's a little more comfortable with you, you could try getting him to step on a perch for the millet using the step up command. Eventually you might be able to get him to step up onto your arm, hand, or finger.

Bananerz

Meeting neighbors
Thanks :) I've been doing that but didn't know if there might be a less time consuming way, lol. I'll keep at it. He's slightly less afraid of my hands now as long as he sees millet. I'm able to take a little bunch off the stick and give it to him, so I guess it's working :)

alicat

Real Name
Ali
he is too handsome!! his crest is so pretty!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Yoshi.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Yoshi is just so handsome. Never had a cockatiel but everything I've heard about birds in General is " it takes tons of time and plenty of patience. Most come around eventually but it takes time. Birds are so very different than dogs or cats. Their trust is earned. Sounds to me like you are doing great so far. Millet is a big fave among a lot of birds.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:hello: Give him time. Sit by his cage, talk to him, drop treats in his bowl and keep walking. It will take time. It took 6 months for my first green cheek and I am still working with my 2nd green cheek and it has been 14 months. it is slow going, but it is going. She will ride on my head and comes running for treats, but still does not like to be touched. Some are faster than others. Some have had better luck in a month or so!

lesliekiki

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leslie
Hi. Congratulations! He's a handsome devil:) I've had my untamed tiel for 5 months and he last week he just started to put one foot on my finger when I provide him with a nutriberry treat. It just takes a lot of patience! Just plan on it taking a long time... and if it goes faster then great!! Good Luck!

Bananerz

Meeting neighbors
Thanks everyone!! I'm ready for it to take awhile, and that's fine. It took Bananas, who was tame when I got her, around 6 months for her to finally let me scratch her head; so I figure it's going to take a long time with Yoshi. But that's fine, I have Bananas to cuddle with in the meantime :)

A little Yoshi update: he's a lot calmer now and is selling in. First day or two he spent all his time on top of doorframes and curtain rods, anywhere high up and away from me, lol. For the past day he's been staying in his cage longer or just sits on top of it and is less wary of me sitting by him. Still doesn't like my hands being near. But he sort of softly chirps at me like he's trying to figure me out (I chirp back.) He's doing well :)

I have a question though, the tips of his tail feathers almost looks brown and one father is tattered. They were like that when I got him. I don't know much about where he came from so I don't know if it's filth on his tail or maybe just odd coloration or if he got into something. He doesn't appear sick at all, nose and eyes clear, eats and drinks, active, no bobbing of head or tail, no excessive fluffiness. Any ideas on what it might be?
I'll see if I can get a pic but I don't know if he'll let me.