• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Serin's Flock

Serin

Sprinting down the street

Sam (green), Summer (blue), and Snoopy (white w/ blue) are my budgerigars.

Sam is 3, Summer is one year old, and Snoopy is six months old. Sam and Summer are mates, and bonded strongly. Snoopy and Summer also have some sort of love/hate relationship/rivalry thing going on where he feeds her and they play one minute, then argue like siblings the next. Snoopy basically worships Sam, but he acts like he doesn't exist. But it doesn't discourage him from copying everything Sam does.The result is a very fun to watch group dynamic and lots of activity; at the end of the day they're all a flock and live together in peace.

Sam was hatched with me and hand-raised, he is very tame and trusting. Summer and Snoopy are petshop-bought, but have learned to trust people from Sam and both come to me on their terms. They like to fly and land on me, hang out on my head or on my arms and talk to me, but don't step up unless treats are involved. Sam steps up always and is very affectionate.

I also have three canaries. However, I only have pictures of two, because one I purchased just this afternoon!

Maggie and Milo are both 2 years old; she is a crested Timbrado, Gloster and red factor cross. He is a straight red factor. They are not hand-tame but they know to come and go from their cage and are very bonded. Maggie is sitting on four eggs at the moment but they are infertile; Milo has issues getting the mating right, and this is our second spring breeding season of empty eggs. But I love him anyway, he is very sweet to Maggie and sings very nicely.

The newest canary Cricket is supposedly male, but has not sung yet. He is a very cute brown and yellow bird with an outgoing temperament and calm demeanor.

I also have three society finches named Apollo, Poppy, and Frost; Frost is Apollo and Poppy's grown son. They are a happy family and do everything together. They and the canaries love to take a bath in the sink every morning.

When the weather is warm enough, the birds can go out in an 8 x 8 foot aviary I've built in the back garden. They only spend the day and return to their cages to back inside before dark.

The rest of the time the finches and canaries have a room in which they can fly freely; they all go back to their cages at night to sleep. Often the budgies are kept downstairs in the front room, and are let out most of the day, but sometimes I take them upstairs and for the most part they do not bother the smaller birds.

Lastly, I have a young Java sparrow named Buttons whom I am working on developing a bond with. She doesn't get unsupervised free time in the house yet, but she visits the other birds in the mornings during cage cleaning and hops across their cages before they come out. Since I bought her, I have won her trust. She is tame and now steps up and sits on my shoulder but is still shy.

The bird room and the aviary are unfortunately temporary at this point, I am moving sometime this year, but wherever I go, the birds will still get time out to fly in some way or another.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
TINY FLOOOOOOOOOOOOFFS! They're all so cute and tiny and I want them all. ;A; Lookit those lil finch beepers.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wow! Such beautiful birds!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What a wonderful flock! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I looove them! Buttons is my favorite, he is so beautiful! Your society finches are gorgeous babies too:heart: Love your aviary, I wish I could give my babies that!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Beautiful flock, and I love your set up!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gorgeous.....

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award