• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Pistachio

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Adorable! What kind of poi is he?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks. Couldn’t be happier.

Do you have any advice for these guys?
I don't have experience with Brown Headed Parrots. I've read, though, that they are generally calmer and less temperamental than red-bellied parrots. However, each bird is an individual so just take generalizations with a "grain of salt".
Pois can sometimes become phobic so it's good to socialize them but not go overboard with that. You will figure out what Pistachio's limitations are. My red-bellies range in personality from very sweet and friendly to shy and standoffish. Some of mine might bite and some generally will not. They are very intelligent and can figure out how to get out of cages so make sure the cage is escape proof. Pois can also learn to talk although I don't know about talking abilities for Brown Headed parrots in general. All of my red-bellies talk.
Pois enjoy toys and you might see Pistachio lying on his back with his feet up in the air playing with a toy. Provide Pistachio with problem solving and foraging toys and do target and trick training with him. They are inquisitive birds and like to explore.
My Senegals and most of my red-bellies LOVE swings so if you think he is ready (good balance and grip) you could get him a swing.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
I don't have experience with Brown Headed Parrots. I've read, though, that they are generally calmer and less temperamental than red-bellied parrots. However, each bird is an individual so just take generalizations with a "grain of salt".
Pois can sometimes become phobic so it's good to socialize them but not go overboard with that. You will figure out what Pistachio's limitations are. My red-bellies range in personality from very sweet and friendly to shy and standoffish. Some of mine might bite and some generally will not. They are very intelligent and can figure out how to get out of cages so make sure the cage is escape proof. Pois can also learn to talk although I don't know about talking abilities for Brown Headed parrots in general. All of my red-bellies talk.
Pois enjoy toys and you might see Pistachio lying on his back with his feet up in the air playing with a toy. Provide Pistachio with problem solving and foraging toys and do target and trick training with him. They are inquisitive birds and like to explore.
My Senegals and most of my red-bellies LOVE swings so if you think he is ready (good balance and grip) you could get him a swing.

Awesome. Thanks for some tips. I’m waiting to start training when he gets a bit older since he only eats and then gets tired after eating.

Can you recommend any foraging toys specially from amazon? My so far likes Chinese finger traps and “softer” wood.

I’ll get a swing!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome. Thanks for some tips. I’m waiting to start training when he gets a bit older since he only eats and then gets tired after eating.

Can you recommend any foraging toys specially from amazon? My so far likes Chinese finger traps and “softer” wood.

I’ll get a swing!
Don't give him the swing for a while. Wait until he is a little bit older.
Soft wood like balsa is good for now. He's just a baby and I wouldn't give him anything harder. Later on you will most probably find out that giving him balsa is OK if you want fast destruction. I give it to my red-bellies understanding that it will be gone within minutes. Their wood toys are generally pine or basswood now. Look through the Avian Avenue vendors and see what types of toys they offer. I don't use toys that have cotton rope. Just give him simple things right now. Wait on the problem solving type toys. That was a suggestion for the future although you can wrap treats in paper, use small boxes and stuff with strips of paper and treats or use something like this: All Natural 2oz Foraging Set UNDRILLED to put things into that he has to forage for.
I don't remember exactly what the first toys were that I gave to my guys. My youngest red-bellies just turned 17 this year. It's been a long time. They had some beads that were not too large and not too small, little wiffle balls, bells, some balsa wood toys and "me".

Calling in some assistance here.... @AkasyaEllric She has a brown head/Meyer's hybrid although she adopted him when he was older.

Last edited:

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Don't give him the swing for a while. Wait until he is a little bit older.
Soft wood like balsa is good for now. He's just a baby and I wouldn't give him anything harder. Later on you will most probably find out that giving him balsa is OK if you want fast destruction. I give it to my red-bellies understanding that it will be gone within minutes. Their wood toys are generally pine or basswood now. Look through the Avian Avenue vendors and see what types of toys they offer. I don't use toys that have cotton rope. Just give him simple things right now. Wait on the problem solving type toys. That was a suggestion for the future although you can wrap treats in paper, use small boxes and stuff with strips of paper and treats or use something like this: All Natural 2oz Foraging Set UNDRILLED to put things into that he has to forage for.
I don't remember exactly what the first toys were that I gave to my guys. My youngest red-bellies just turned 17 this year. It's been a long time. They had some beads that were not too large and not too small, little wiffle balls, bells, some balsa wood toys and "me".

Calling in some assistance here.... @AkasyaEllric She has a brown head/Meyer's hybrid although she adopted him when he was older.
Thanks for that. I wasn’t gonna get the swing until a few more months, his grip is pretty bad still.

Thank you for explaining the types of wood.

Is there any reason why you suggest I wait on te forging and problem solving toys?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Yay another brown head! :fairy2: Congrats! Now my experience with Slade is probably a whole butt load of different but if you ever wanna chat about them send me a message! I'm kind of obsessed now haha.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for that. I wasn’t gonna get the swing until a few more months, his grip is pretty bad still.

Thank you for explaining the types of wood.

Is there any reason why you suggest I wait on te forging and problem solving toys?

Just depends on the bird. Might be too big or too heavy for the baby. I would start with very simple foraging activities as per my post above.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks!

Little guy got spooked and crashed into a wall. He has a little bruise now : (

But he is eating, drinking, and pooping Ok :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Pistachio got hurt. Just keep a close eye on him and if you see any changes in appetite or activity level contact a vet.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Sorry that Pistachio got hurt. Just keep a close eye on him and if you see any changes in appetite or activity level contact a vet.
I asked the breeder and they explained to me it should work like a bruised finger nail, where it’s gonna grow out.

Everything seemed okay today. He was eating and chirping.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
I wonder if I can bump this thread ~

My little boy will not stop screaming, lasting about two hours.

We have a pretty normal daily routine where I take him out for breakfast, I change his food, water, and waste tray. If I dont go to work, I take him out every other hour for about 15-40 minutes where he walks around.

If I do go to work, no one takes him out, so I am guessing he is screaming.

Any advice?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
What a sweet face. Congrats!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What sort of toys does he have in his cage while you're at work? :chin: Foraging might keep him busy. Our G2 screams when we leave unless we fill up her foraging toys with beads & give her a snack she has to work at. Then, since we're not home she doesn't scream; she just entertains herself and naps. :pinksmile: I know this because I load up her toys & give her her snack when I need a nap on my day off. ;) She's quiet until she hears me and remembers I'm home. Then she calls to be let out.