• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet my new betta!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I went to Petco yesterday and picked out my male crowntail betta! (This is the only pet my mom will allow right now, sooo) He's in a 10-gallon tank and I tried to make it look natural by using driftwood and plants. I thought the terracotta pots would add a bit of flair to the tank. Tell me what you think! Any name ideas? IMG_9802.jpg IMG_9906.jpg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh he's so cute! I have a betta too, his name is Saturn and he's a delta tail. Petco is dangerous because I fall in love with all the bettas and want to bring them all home, lol.

I see you have a heater, You're gonna wanna make sure that's fully underwater. They tend to be wonky if they aren't fully submerged.

I really like the decor, it looks nice :) I like using the terracotta pots too. A tip, though: Everything needs to be smooth so it won't catch his tail. If there are any rough/sharp spots on anything, it should be removed (or you can use a dremel tool to file it down). And if you ever go down the fake plants route, they need to be silk. Petco has decent ones for not too much.

And I'd suggest more hiding spots, I think they recommend about 50% cover. That's what my betta has (1 decoration and several silk plants) and he's very happy. If you see bubbles on the surface of the water, in a big group near the edges, that means he's happy! Bettas make bubble nests when they are happy. My betta likes to form his on the underside of his leaf hammock, lol.

Other than that, I think everything looks really good! The 10 gallon was a wise choice. With time he will use every last bit of it. :) I'm sure you and your betta will have a wonderful time together! :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congratulations! That is one cool looking fish! :loveshower:

Can´t wait to see what you decide to name him! :D

:starshower1:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Nice set up and beautiful betta.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He is so handsome. :)

Welcome to the Avenue, little one...:D

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He needs a nice Samurai type name.
Looked some up:
Hattori
Mori
Akechi

These are some I liked the sound of.

Last edited:

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
It's been just over a month, so it's time to post my transformation pics! He's looking a lot bluer and his tail definitely grew out a bit. I was gonna name him Firecracker, but my sister insists that it's a lame name (lol it rhymes) so now she's asking for suggestions on reddit. image2.jpeg

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow, he´s so much more blue! He´s one cool dude! :cool:

Aww poor guy still has no name :( So is this your fish or your sisters?

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
He looks soo good :wow:

What about “blue” themed names since he is now so bright? Like azul or cobalt etc

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, what a stunning boy!! Those colours are gorgeous.

I think Firecracker is an awesome name! It's unique, and it suits him. He's got all the colours of a firecracker popsicle. :D

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about “blue” themed names since he is now so bright? Like azul or cobalt etc
Nice idea.
I have a bird named Lapis Lazuli after her colour.
Nube (Cloud) is named after his colour too.

What about Peacock as a name? He´s like the fishy version but with a red tail instead of green :lol:

edit; an interesting link: 156 Magnificent Baby Names That Mean Blue

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I think Lunar is also a good name.
EDIT: Sorry just reloaded my page to see your posts. Love the suggestions! So here are all the ideas:
Firecracker
Peacock
Lunar

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
I think I already told you earlier in this thread somewhere, but we had a betta that was “my son’s’” when he was little. I loved that little fish :heart: we kept him in between the kitchen and dining room and I’d always talk to him when cooking etc. Buckwheat was there for me when I was pregnant with my daughter- I swear that fish was the best listener ever! Lol
And yes, his name was Buckwheat. All I can say was my son was 4. Please don’t name yours that, I apologized to Buckwheat many times for being given that name :wacky:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He's a really beautiful fish. Both before and after. I like Firecracker as a name. He's colours exploded like a Firecracker :)

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I think I already told you earlier in this thread somewhere, but we had a betta that was “my son’s’” when he was little. I loved that little fish :heart: we kept him in between the kitchen and dining room and I’d always talk to him when cooking etc. Buckwheat was there for me when I was pregnant with my daughter- I swear that fish was the best listener ever! Lol
And yes, his name was Buckwheat. All I can say was my son was 4. Please don’t name yours that, I apologized to Buckwheat many times for being given that name :wacky:

:lol:Funny story!

He's a really beautiful fish. Both before and after. I like Firecracker as a name. He's colours exploded like a Firecracker :)
Awww, thanks!