• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Levi + Severe Macaw Questions

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
If you have seen this thread: Guess What... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum You know that I am adopting a severe macaw. :D If not.. look at it anyway! There are more pictures of her on there, and more info about her.
Anyway, here is Levi. She is 13 years old, and I am super excited to be adopting her.
Levi2.jpg
Levi4.jpg

I have a few questions for anyone with severe macaws or experience with them. :)

1. What are some (specific) toys and/or perches they like?

2. What do you feed them, what brands, etc. (I know what to feed as a general basis, but I am looking for specific brands, and what other severe macaws like)

3. Would you mind sharing a picture of your severe's cage setup?

4. What do your severe macaws like for treats? (Examples would be almonds, pistachios, etc)

Ahh I had more questions but I forgot. :rolleyes: Please add anything you feel I should know. And thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer these questions for me. :)

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Yay welcome to the rescue severe macaw club!!!!!

She’s beautiful!

My severes love anything rope. If I had to pick one must item for the cage I’d say a rope circle swing or perch at least. They also enjoy a good flat platform perch.

My severes LOVE zoopreem natural. I tried to get them on Harrison’s like my larger macaw but they weren’t having it. They both took to Zupreem right away.

My first rescue, Fred, was fed garbage food his whole life and it had been very hard to get him to try new things. So far he only likes oatmeal every morning with small mashed warm apple. My girl severe is a little easier about new things and loves sharing a chamomile tea with me as well as pine nuts.

In my experience with my two rescue severes, they are very very sensitive beings. Ethel especially gets upset if I miss a play time we’ve established and will sulk. They both really appreciate new toys, especially thin pine and balsa. I get a lot of their toys from things for wings or tnt right now as they’re just the right size.

I’ll take some pics of their favorite toys in a few and post them.

Congrats again!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! She's beautiful.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for both of you!! :heart::heart::heart: I can't wait to see more pictures of her. She's beautiful:xflove:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for both of you!! :heart::heart::heart: I can't wait to see more pictures of her. She's beautiful:xflove:
Thank you! I will definitely get more pictures the next time I go. Hopefully I can go Sunday, but it is Christmas Eve, so while my mom is okay with it I have to ask my dad if we are doing anything. I will bring my camera if I can remember to lol, so I can get some better quality photos. (These ones really don't do her colors justice, my phone camera is pretty bad)

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
I could have sworn I replied to this thread...but apparently, I must have gotten sidetracked lol.

Anyways...

Welcome to the Severe club! She's absolutely beautiful!

I can't be of much help with advice on toys, because Syd is pretty much terrified of anything new he encounters lol. It takes forever for him to be desensitized to new things, and will often attack anything new I put in his cage for the first day or so. But, he was a breeder for the first 90% of his life, so I honestly don't think he really knew how to play...I'm surprised he's even as social as he is with me, really.

Fresh foods are hit or miss with Syd...unless of course, he's sitting on my shoulder, and they come directly from my plate. Then he *might* try a little nibble of something....but more often than not, it mostly ends up down my shirt, heheh. So, I end up baking all the stuff that's good for him into a birdie bread...he gets a warm cube of that in the morning, topped with pomegranate avrils. Which, btw, must also be warm. Actually, anything fresh must be warm, or he won't eat it, now that I think about it. Dry food is a mix of Rowdy bush medium sized pellets, and Vita California blend seeds (more pellet than seeds). At first, I tried weenie him off the seeds, but then I figured he's old, so I would let him enjoy his golden years eating a bit of what he likes so much.

Also, like @MiniMacaw said about her severes, he's very sensitive! He gets his feelings hurt rather easily, and, oh boy can he ever hold a grudge! I can't tell you how many days I've spent with him having his back turned to me after a beak and nail trim! Lol

Congrats again...she's absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy her!