• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Fritz :)

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
hey guys! I am 100% new to macaws and find myself the proud owner of a Buffon's macaw (I posted about that in the new people section!)
Fritz is my very loving, snuggly boy who is weirdly quiet for a macaw, he is anti-video taking XD
He is absolutely perfect and an awesome addition to my family (husband, 2 daughters and a weasel)
I'm mostly just posting pictures and bragging XD. I'm exited to meet y'all!!

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Fritz is adorable and looks very sweet! Welcome to the AA forums!

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
welcome to AA! he is gorgeous!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. Buffons have always been one of my favorites and yours looks like he is a good natured fellow.

How old is he? Not all macaws are noisy. My female GW is so quiet that I sometimes have to check up on her.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Hankmacaw nice to meet you! The vet said he was around 18. I tried to post a video, it wasn't successful! He just makes little croaking noises if he makes any noise at all. He is only loud if I'm out of his sight for more than 3 minutes he hollers for me. If he knows I have completely left the house he stops yelling. As soon as he can see me again or I respond he is quiet. I was told he is scared I will leave and never come back :'(

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Fritz is beautiful, Welcome!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
In order to post a video it is best to upload it to You Tube then post it here. Use the little square with mountains in it in the above bar and post it's address.

Both of my birds would/do contact calls when they wonder where I am. I could just answer them and they would be quiet unless they really, really wanted something - like going outside. Hank would hollar to help the sun come up or go down. He could rattle windows a mile away and I'll bet that Fritz can too when he gets well and more comfortable.

You are going to love your Buffons. Do you have other birds?

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Hankmacaw no I do not, as a teenager I had a cockatiel but that's it! I've always loved big birds, and now that my youngest is in school full-time I decided now would be a good time to get one:xflove: I started volunteering at a local bird store that has macaws to see if that's really what I wanted/get used to them first.
I manage a couple of outpatient PT clinics and once my boy is settled in (and healthy!) he will be coming to work with me. He already has hung out with me a few hours in the office and did awesome.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Macawnutz that's the site the vet pulled up! :laugh: She said he's definitely a Buffon's because he has the grey ring around his pupil, but he also has some cloudiness to his eyes because of poor diet :( We are hoping that eventually goes away now that he is not eating peanuts and sunflower seeds all day!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Are there such things as hybrids? Is that possible? I didn't think it was as pronounced as the picture she showed me, but it's definitely not yellow either. I don't really care either way :swoon:

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have a friend that has a side by side comparison. :) Give me a few days and I'll find the pictures.
I have a military, when I see a picture of a buffons I know immediately it does not look like my girl. Your baby looks identical to my girl. I'll try and get her eye pictures today.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How much does Fritz weigh? And can you get a picture with lots of light. Buffons will be more of a lemon/lime color and much larger than the military. Yes, people hybridize them out of ignorance and also now to avoid the ESA (Endangered Species Act) laws. Your boy/girl is too old to be a result of the ESA laws.

I love her/him whatever too.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
@Macawnutz and @Hankmacaw here's some more pictures! He weighs 1075 grams, the vet said he felt a little on the skinny side too :shrug: she would like to see him gain some weight, she said to give him 4-6 table spoons of the Harrison's high potency pellets per day (which he only eats if I wet it down into mush and feed from a spoon...any tips there?)
He's a little weirded out by my phone so close to his face XD

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Fritz is quite handsome. Welcome to the avenue.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
What a handsome sweet boy you have. Loved the video, my amazon Lucy likes to do that too.....pretty strange feeling lol