• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Dakota

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
I picked her up on Friday night, but I've been a little too busy with things so sorry for the delay.

Excuse the mess in the background, I took these as soon as we arrived home~

IMG_3791.JPG IMG_3790.JPG IMG_3793.JPG

She came with pretty much everything in the cage in the first pic. I'll be keeping her in that cage for a couple days to let her settle in and give myself some time to set up her new cage.

She's amazingly sweet. She talks (kept saying "hello" and "woof" on the car ride home), dances a bit, and is a bold little bird in general. First day here, and she was already flying to the ground and exploring the room. Her leg band says that she is 14 years old. I've tried feeding her some fruits, but it looks like she's never been fed anything but seeds so we'll have to work on that.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I can't view any of the pix, Drini, sorry.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome and congratulations on your new feathered friend/family member. Photos not working.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Congratulations!! Can't wait to see the pics -- they aren't showing up for me!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful and mischievous.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
So, what species is she? I love her eyes!

She's a Patagonian conure.

I adore her eyes, too, but when she gets overly-excited and the pinning starts she gets a little creepy. :eek: I've never had a bird with such light-colored eyes.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Yup, was also gonna comment on her gorgeous eyes!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my gosh,she is so gorgeous. They would be one of my dream birds,if they weren't so loud lol. How has she been volume wise so far? Have you been able to weigh her yet? Im curious about how much more she weights then Nala who's 64 grams.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats to you both! She is adorable! ♥

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Oh my gosh,she is so gorgeous. They would be one of my dream birds,if they weren't so loud lol. How has she been volume wise so far? Have you been able to weigh her yet? Im curious about how much more she weights then Nala who's 64 grams.

Well... let's just say that I've been investing in ear plugs for my room lately. The cages are in my room, which is pretty small, so the sound is really loud for such an enclosed space (especially the pitch). She also vocalizes a lot more than Inca, my jenday.

I haven't been able to weigh her yet (I've still got to buy a scale), but she looks like she's in the normal weight/size range for a patagonian. Most sites state that patagonians weigh around 260 - 280 grams, but the Greater Patagonian can weigh 315-390 grams. From what I've read, she seems to be the Greater Patagonian because she has little to no white around her neck, but I'm no expert. I'll get back to you with an actual answer whenever I do weigh her.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well... let's just say that I've been investing in ear plugs for my room lately. The cages are in my room, which is pretty small, so the sound is really loud for such an enclosed space (especially the pitch). She also vocalizes a lot more than Inca, my jenday.

I haven't been able to weigh her yet (I've still got to buy a scale), but she looks like she's in the normal weight/size range for a patagonian. Most sites state that patagonians weigh around 260 - 280 grams, but the Greater Patagonian can weigh 315-390 grams. From what I've read, she seems to be the Greater Patagonian because she has little to no white around her neck, but I'm no expert. I'll get back to you with an actual answer whenever I do weigh her.
Ouchies,I certainly don't envy you in regards to the noise. I used to have a Sun Conure,and I loved him to pieces but I just couldn't stand his voice and would get an instant migraine from just a single scream. So I can only imagine how much worse Dakota's voice must be. Oh wow,if she is a greater that's well great lol I think they are harder to come by then the lesser if I remember correctly from my research on them.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Ouchies,I certainly don't envy you in regards to the noise. I used to have a Sun Conure,and I loved him to pieces but I just couldn't stand his voice and would get an instant migraine from just a single scream. So I can only imagine how much worse Dakota's voice must be. Oh wow,if she is a greater that's well great lol I think they are harder to come by then the lesser if I remember correctly from my research on them.

To be honest, she's not that much louder and high-pitched than Inca, but she vocalizes so much more than he does so its more of an issue. I'm not really bothered by the actual yelling, I'm just worried about the damage being done to my ears at my young age. I'd like to preserve them as much as possible. I haven't heard any complaints from any other household members, thankfully.

She's a big girl! It's true that the Greater is much more rare in the pet trade than the Lesser. I guess I'll get my answer on the species when I weigh her.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Will this be a permanent addition? :)

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ana
Congratulations! Will this be a permanent addition? :)

I don't know yet, it has only been a few days! I'm thinking to give her a couple of months to get out of quarantine, see how she interacts with my other birds, and how the situation is overall with her in the mix.