• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Medicine in her nose?

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I must of messed up while medicating Cora because she's sniffling like she's got medicine in her nose. She sneezed a lot and she's still sniffling (it's been a couple minutes) she went over to eat but I'm worried about her aspirating.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you giving her oral meds? You must get the syringe behind and below her tounge,, almost directly into the crop. Which is an inch or so,,did the vet show you how? Sometimes they will sneeze and spit the meds back up. What is she on?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Recently I put antibiotic eye drops in my budgies nose per vets instruction. Never had any sniffing the whole 7 days. I would call vet.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Her vet's not open at this hour and won't reopen until Monday. I could call the emergency vet, but I don't know how much they could help over the phone. I took her in the shower with me to get steam and a light mist. She's no longer sneezing and sniffling, but she does seem tired. Which could just be the stress of medicine and the fact that it's her bed time. I feel so terrible and guilty.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
What should I be watching for?

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
She's acting fine so I put her to bed. But I'm still on the verge of a panic attack.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's fine. This happens sometimes--Even if you do it just right, sometimes they'll shake their heads to try and spit out the bad taste, and end up getting it in their sinuses. Some birds are more prone to it than others. If she had aspirated (which is extremely unlikely in an adult bird just being given a small amount of oral meds), she would immediately be in extreme, very apparent distress and there would be no question. Getting it in her sinuses probably feels gross but isn't harmful -- in fact, we put multiple cc's of fluid THROUGH their sinuses when we do a nasal flush. Take some deep breaths and trust that you didn't hurt her. :)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:
Hoping things will be better tomorrow.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it's a one time thing, then she's probably fine, let her rest, you get some rest and everything will be ok,,:hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did not mean to frighten you. Get rested yourself.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She seems fine today
Excellent news.

A few months after we adopted Milton, he acquired a sinus infection, which meant nose drops...in a U2 with new owners. We made it through...with a few sneezes and a lot of dirty looks from Milty...:meh: