• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Medication mistake -- Lucy

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just gave Lucy a second does of Cipro. I don't know what I was thinking. I was going to give her DMG but instead gave her the Cipro and she is only supposed to have it once a day. I am VERY upset at myself. I don't do stuff like this. She had the first dose 12 hrs. ago.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You have been under a bit of stress with all this foot business. Don't be too hard on yourself, it was an honest accident. Will she be alright with the extra dose or is this something she needs to see the vet for? I personally know how easy it is to slip up with medications when you have been through a tough few days so I totally understand this happening.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have been under a bit of stress with all this foot business. Don't be too hard on yourself, it was an honest accident. Will she be alright with the extra dose or is this something she needs to see the vet for? I personally know how easy it is to slip up with medications when you have been through a tough few days so I totally understand this happening.
Right now I am ultra angry at myself. Called 2 places and no help. 3rd place told me just to watch her and not to dose her tomorrow which is what I had decided to do anyway. Said she should be OK but might have an upset stomach or lack of appetite. They normally treat birds but not for emergencies.
:extremeanger: at me
:bash:

Sorry about the duplicate threads.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Very easy to understand being angry at yourself but it will not help you nor Lucy. Learn to forgive yourself as you are doing the best you can and being angry at yourself will not allow you to think straight. Maybe keep a little list stuck on the medicine pack so you mark off each dose as you give it.
All that matters is that she will be ok even if she does have a little tummy upset for a short time.

So happy to hear she will be alright in the long run.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:
Crap...its late on Sunday...Hopefully as many say it might just upset her stomach.
Don't beat yourself too bad. It happens.

Not even sure what cipro is for...

I'll do some research

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it's a one time thing, she should be ok. Been there, done that, just watch her,,give the second 12 hour dose tomorrow, but not the first..make sure shes eating and drinking like she would be normally. :hug8:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
OK, think they gave me cipro last year for a possible infection & some were a bit off as they said it was strong.

Says it binds with CA & things that make it less effective,,,,

Take this medication at least 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking other products that may bind to it, decreasing its effectiveness. Ask your pharmacist about the other products you take. Some examples include: quinapril, sevelamer, sucralfate, vitamins/minerals (including iron and zinc supplements), and products containing magnesium, aluminum, or calcium (such as antacids, didanosine solution, calcium supplements).

Just thinking * I know its hard for her to eat things but gosh maybe some yogurt or even cheese if she eats that??? You probably don;y have??? A CA suppliment???

Bird antacid???

I'll keep looking as it could help lessen it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's a one time thing, she should be ok. Been there, done that, just watch her,,give the second 12 hour dose tomorrow, but not the first..make sure shes eating and drinking like she would be normally. :hug8:
She is only supposed to get one dose every 24 hours. Her last dose would have been tomorrow so I am not giving her any more. Then I decide I will observe the birds with the Blink and turn on the illuminator. Freaked Cody out and she started screaming so forget that. No night vision on my version of Blink just a very bright light that you can use in the dark.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
It can effect heart rate & nerves...but its a good 10 12 hrs since other dose not 2 hours so it should not be too bad...

See if you can give it at bedtime from now on but it could make her not sleep well...

Anyway don;t worry about when to give yet as you can talk to a vet tomorrow.

Now maybe something to help the stomach & lessen its effectiveness would be good

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very easy to understand being angry at yourself but it will not help you nor Lucy. Learn to forgive yourself as you are doing the best you can and being angry at yourself will not allow you to think straight. Maybe keep a little list stuck on the medicine pack so you mark off each dose as you give it.
All that matters is that she will be ok even if she does have a little tummy upset for a short time.

So happy to hear she will be alright in the long run.

I medicate my dog, Scully and Lucy. I know what they get. I know how many times. I always check and recheck the syringe markings for the birds. I can't believe I did this. I'm really hoping she will be OK. Didn't talk to a vet. The person who answered the phone knew about Cipro and birds. I wish I could forgive myself but it's just stupid on my part. I'm going to give the dog his meds. I better not mess this up.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you give your bird too much medication?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I tolerated it but I did get some gawks as to why a Dr would rx it when I had not even tested positive for a UTI. As it turned out I did not have one but luckily Idid not have any ill effects.

It really should be used w caution not to scare you but some of its side effects are worse than stomach irritation

FDA strengthens safety warnings on Cipro, other antibiotics, due to dangerous side effects - CBS News

Can you get some calcium products in her???

Dairy and Calcium-Fortified Foods

When you take ciprofloxacin, you will not want to take it at the same time that you are digesting foods that are high in calcium, a list that includes dairy products and calcium-fortified foods. According to Drugs.com, calcium disrupts the intestinal absorption of ciprofloxacin, which then diminishes the antibacterial effects of the drug. As a rule of thumb, you should not consume calcium-rich foods for two to six hours before you take ciprofloxacin.

Minerals and Multivitamins
Ciprofloxacin may also negatively interact with other nutritional items like minerals and multivitamins. According to Drugs.com, food and vitamin preparations that contain significant levels of zinc, magnesium, aluminum and iron should be avoided prior to taking ciprofloxacin. Similar to the effects of calcium, these minerals block the absorption of the drug into the body and reduce its antimicrobial effects. Do not take these types of vitamins or mineral-enriched foods for two to six hours prior to taking ciprofloxacin. If you need to take ciprofloxacin, tell your doctor about any medications and nutritional supplements you take.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I tolerated it but I did get some gawks as to why a Dr would rx it when I had not even tested positive for a UTI. As it turned out I did not have one but luckily Idid not have any ill effects.

It really should be used w caution not to scare you but some of its side effects are worse than stomach irritation

FDA strengthens safety warnings on Cipro, other antibiotics, due to dangerous side effects - CBS News

Can you get some calcium products in her???
Cipro is an antibiotic. I've given it to birds before without any ill effects but I've never messed up with the number of times per day before.

Not supposed to take Cipro with calcium.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I know as it could make the last dose less effective...thats why I said to take it...just thinking???

CA binds to it says not to have calcium within 6 hrs of dose...just saying it could help neutralize it

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know as it could make the last dose less effective...thats why I said to take it...just thinking???

CA binds to it says not to have calcium within 6 hrs of dose...just saying it could help neutralize it

Yes I see what you mean. I gave her a very small amount of yogurt although she really didn't get much of it into her.

Last edited:

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Is there a 24 hour bet you can call?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a duplicate thread.
Is there a 24 hour bet you can call?
Yes I called 3, none treat birds but one place told me she should be OK. I am still very concerned.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems a pidgeon got 10X dose & think it was ok...in your case just 12 hrs early normal dose.

Its probably not really bad but a little normal calcium wouldn't hurt but it has to be given soon after the dose...

These people say charcoal...

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/cipro-baytril-overdose-emergency-100482.html

I'll keep looking

Cockatiel 10X overdose...

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=29382

It does not look like its urgent...after all it was a normal dose & 12 hrs early...

I'm feeling a bit better...

Last edited:

jennluna

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Sorry I didn’t see the other one. I hope Lucy will be ok. I know you will worry no matter what, as we all would. :sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry I didn’t see the other one. I hope Lucy will be ok. I know you will worry no matter what, as we all would. :sadhug2:
Thanks. I'm hoping she will be OK.