• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Medication Basics!

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
A friend of mine wanted me to post this! He's treating his bird for a yeast infection and forgot to ask vet the details. He's supposed to give medications using droppers so he wanted to ask 1. if he has to use different droppers for all medicines or just cleaning one with hot water after use will be fine? 2. He's supposed to dissolve terbacip 250 mg in 25 ml water, should he break the tablet by putting it on paper and all or just dissolve it!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cleaning one will be fine if it is a reusable dropper.

Why does he need to break the tablet? How many mg is the tablet?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just to let you know I am not actually familiar with the medication you have mentioned.

Are you breaking the tablet so it dissolves faster or is it to get the correct dose he was told to give the bird?

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Just to let you know I am not actually familiar with the medication you have mentioned.

Are you breaking the tablet so it dissolves faster or is it to get the correct dose he was told to give the bird?
It's a 250 mg tablet and he wants to break it so that it dissolves quickly!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Is he medicating a large bird? I would be concerned about using a glass dropper in that case. One of my larger birds can chomp and break my plastic syringes every dose. This may or may not be a problem for your friend. In the USA you can go to most pharmacies and they will give you a few free plastic syringes, I order mine and get a box of 100 x 1ml at a time. I am also not sure you can give an accurate dose with a dropper as opposed to a syringe with volume markings.
I don't know the medication either, but if he is supposed to use the whole tablet he can break it. I mix up one of my own medications per my vet and actually use a dedicated small mortar and pestle to get a better suspension (it does not actually dissolve).

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Is he medicating a large bird? I would be concerned about using a glass dropper in that case. One of my larger birds can chomp and break my plastic syringes every dose. This may or may not be a problem for your friend. In the USA you can go to most pharmacies and they will give you a few free plastic syringes, I order mine and get a box of 100 x 1ml at a time. I am also not sure you can give an accurate dose with a dropper as opposed to a syringe with volume markings.
I don't know the medication either, but if he is supposed to use the whole tablet he can break it. I mix up one of my own medications per my vet and actually use a dedicated small mortar and pestle to get a better suspension (it does not actually dissolve).
It's a conure, so I believe he won't be able to break it. Also, someone from the clinic will be supervising him so dose shouldn't be a problem :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok I tell you this, stick plastic droppers never ever use glass please. I had a budgie years ago named Teelee. Teelee became egg bound, a trip to the avian vet, medication with glass dropper. She snapped the glass dropper with the first dose and swallowed a tiny shard of glass. She died from puncture in her crop. If tiny budgie can break the glass eye dropper so can a conure. Get the plastic please.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best to use a pill crusher for crushing the medication. Plastic syringes definitely better than glass droppers. I use separate syringes for different medications because then the medications are ready to go all at once instead of drawing up one, cleaning the syringe and then drawing up the other. I purchase boxes of 100 one ml. syringes. Did the vet just give the dosage in number of drops or ml/cc? Best to get an exact dosage and that works better with syringes.

Mohit Gaur

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mohit Gaur
Best to use a pill crusher for crushing the medication. Plastic syringes definitely better than glass droppers. I use separate syringes for different medications because then the medications are ready to go all at once instead of drawing up one, cleaning the syringe and then drawing up the other. I purchase boxes of 100 one ml. syringes. Did the vet just give the dosage in number of drops or ml/cc? Best to get an exact dosage and that works better with syringes.
As told earlier, it's for a friend of mine. Yesterday only I told him to go for plastic droppers :) And the dose given is like one or two drops maximum, so he thought droppers will be a better idea. We'll dial vet again more clarification...Can one or two drops be given using syringe?