• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mealy Amazons?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I just found this thread today and I'm already hooked -what happens next -will she get the bird?? :popcorn: I love these kinds of threads that keep you checking back.

The anticipation is really bad on this side! Especially since I can’t meet him this weekend because of everything going on! :arghh:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Question: the mealys I see online are all with blue or purple patches on their head. This one has yellow, but is looks bigger than the yellow crowns that are often mistaked for them. Help here?!?

There are several Mealy subspecies. I cheated and copied this.
I have a Plain Colored Mealy. :) Mine has no yellow at all. Other subspecies can have it or not as far as I know.

Scientific Name Amazona farinosa - Subspecies:

• Mealy Amazon, Mealy Parrot - nominate species
    Amazona farinosa farinosa
  • Plain-colored Mealy Amazon, Plain-colored Amazon
    Amazona farinosa inornata
  • Chapman's Mealy Amazon
    Amazona farinosa chapmani
  • Coasa Rican Mealy Amazon, Green-headed Amazon
    Amazona farinosa virenticeps
  • Blue-crowned Mealy Amazon, Guatemalan Amazon
    Amazona farinosa guatemalae

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Chiming in a bit late here, but I too have always heard nothing but nice things about mealys. They aren't terribly popular in the US, but they apparently are just as gentle as small amazon species. "Gentle giants" is the most common description I've heard about them.

It's those hot-3 amazons (YNA, DYH and BFA's) that give all amazons a "bad reputation". Smaller amazons and mealys are all known for actually being pretty nice, gentle, loving birds who don't typically experience severe hormonal issues/aggression. Unfortunately, since none of the other amazon species ever became quite as popular as the 'hot 3', most people just kind of lump them in behaviorally with their naughty cousins, which really isn't fair to them. I grew up with a GCA and a DYH and of course have my BFA. The GCA was like a whole other species to the DYH and BFA. Very calm, gentle, never bit, would step up to anyone just about the nicest bird you could ever ask for. Mealys have a similar personality to my understanding. I wouldn't be "afraid" of a mealy at all!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I adore them and have known several. The inn is full, but a mealy, Panama, or tucuman would always tempt me. Yes, they can have solid voices.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Very exciting, I have a hunch that you will be telling us all about your new Mealy Amazon "Sydney" . Its comforting to know he will be taken care of by you. And have a wonderful forever home.
:hug8:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am going to say, this Mealy will need to see an Avian Vet. He or she looks to be VERY underweight for a Mealy. The white eye ring is not broad at all. This is my overall first thing to pop out to me. Unless there is a very SLIGHT chance it's moreso a Panama since there is so much yellow in the very front of the crown. Mealy's usually have some yellow but further back on the crown. Or, possible hybrid?

Either way, needs a good home!

Please reference the link of some updated pictures of mine.

Updated pictures of the Zon boys | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And the yellow usually with red - since Kazoo is just about 9 I am hoping more and more show up! :D Since he had no red/yellow as his two sisters did as babies.

Our yearly yellow now has a surprise color! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I am going to say, this Mealy will need to see an Avian Vet. He or she looks to be VERY underweight for a Mealy. The white eye ring is not broad at all. This is my overall first thing to pop out to me. Unless there is a very SLIGHT chance it's moreso a Panama since there is so much yellow in the very front of the crown. Mealy's usually have some yellow but further back on the crown. Or, possible hybrid?

Either way, needs a good home!

Please reference the link of some updated pictures of mine.

Updated pictures of the Zon boys | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

And the yellow usually with red - since Kazoo is just about 9 I am hoping more and more show up! :D Since he had no red/yellow as his two sisters did as babies.

Our yearly yellow now has a surprise color! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I would agree he/she looks a bit tattered...but every new bird needs a check up...
Hopefully all is well...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
With some TLC and a good diet and secure home he will thrive and become the beautiful bird he deserves to be.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I also thought he looked a bit thin, but I'm so used to my beast's hefty size, I am not sure what a 'trim' Mealy looks like.

@Love My Zons do Panama's have those telltale dusty feathers also on their head?

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Did I miss something? Is this a done deal then? Is he to be yours?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Wow, what a SWEET face!
I hope he will find a wonderful home, and it sounds like that is a possibility!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Not yet! I’m looking at the future, lol. As soon as I meet him I’ll know! But if he does come into my care, he will get a vet visit and the best food I can get him to eat
Let us know, very excited for you and this pretty bird!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Not all mealies have yellow. There are 5 subspecies, and some are basically big, green birds with blue crowns and that whitish (mealy) tinge like a dusting of flower. Some have probably been interbred through ignorance or apathy, too.

He looks underweight to me, too, but it's hard to tell from pictures. Periopthalmic ring is fine. I bet he'd love a good bath!