• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mealy Amazons?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I was like you and admired amazons but always had a healthy fear of them too. Then I met Cocoa. She is a Red-Lored and is not usually agressive but has her hot moments. Reading and learning from people on AA gave me the confidence to bring her home. If you are patient and pay attention to his body language, respect him you should be fine.

Do you know about his past? I was lucky as Cocoa does not seem to have been abused, just fed too much junk food - which is bad in itself but did not cause aggression. The fact that she trusted people was a huge bonus.
Not much. His previous 2 owners passed away. We know he is at least 8 years old, has been on roudybush and at least recently, fresh fruits and veggies. The other part of the story is in rehome highway with pictures if you’d liked to read it!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh, he looks like such a sweetheart! I hope your visit goes well!

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I got to hold and sing with a mealy about 4 months ago, his name was Paco and he sat on me for about 45 minutes while my birds got nail/beak trims. He stepped right on when I offered my hand. He climbed up on my shoulder and we were buds immediately! I could tell he was getting a little too excited because he started ruffling his feathers and I could see his eyes pinning in my peripheral vision. So instead of singing I just talked quietly until he calmed down a bit. He was very obvious about how excited he was! I had plenty of time to calm the situation down before he gave me an excited bite .
That’s just my mealy story :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Mealy is not a cuddle bug at all. In fact he gets very indignant if you take such liberties with him.

He'll bow his head and I am allowed to give him scritches for 54 seconds. :laugh: Then he's had enough and waddles (he's loves his food) away.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
My Mealy is not a cuddle bug at all. In fact he gets very indignant if you take such liberties with him.

He'll bow his head and I am allowed to give him scritches for 54 seconds. :laugh: Then he's had enough and waddles (he's loves his food) away.
Oh goodness I could imagine the waddles! I loved when Peg would “Tap tap tap and waddle” across the floor!

I’ve talked with them about meeting up. Hopefully next weekend since mother’s day is this weekend.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Question: the mealys I see online are all with blue or purple patches on their head. This one has yellow, but is looks bigger than the yellow crowns that are often mistaked for them. Help here?!?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No fear. Just look in their eyes.... you'll fall in love
Is it the eyes that make you fall in love in the first place so they can lure you close enough to enslave you permanently with their famous amazon scent? (I want to smell an amazon some time in my life to know if it's true!)

Question: the mealys I see online are all with blue or purple patches on their head. This one has yellow, but is looks bigger than the yellow crowns that are often mistaked for them. Help here?!?
I don't know if he's mislabeled or possibly mixed, but you're drawn to this particular bird for some reason. If he's wonderful would it matter? I think you've already make incredible strides in overcoming a hesitation many of us have. Whether you adopt him or not, kudos for your open mind.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@faislaq

The smell is awesome.

Secret, as tough as that bird is, can even produce that scent from time to time

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can have a Mealy without the blue crown.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
I don't know if he's mislabeled or possibly mixed, but you're drawn to this particular bird for some reason. If he's wonderful would it matter? I think you've already make incredible strides in overcoming a hesitation many of us have. Whether you adopt him or not, kudos for your open mind.

Not much, although I’m curious as to what I would be getting myself into if the general personality differences were major. 918E8363-0E11-4724-A191-E7A681FF7C1B.png
This is Sydney

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can have a Mealy without the blue crown.

I know you can, but he favors a yellow crowned amazon a lot

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Not much, although I’m curious as to what I would be getting myself into if the general personality differences were major.
His personality isn't going to change whether he's really a YCA or a mealy. He is who he is.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
His personality isn't going to change whether he's really a YCA or a mealy. He is who he is.

I understand that. I meant the generalization of it. Where mealys are considered gentle giants but the others can be more aggressive.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've been watching this guy and almost gave in to my bad side and offered to give him a home but knew I shouldn't! Like you, before we got Amarillo, I had absolutely no Amazon experience at all and hadn't even thought about one. I had recently lost one of my Ekkies and didn't really know what I wanted to do as far as getting another Ekkie or not. Amarillo was a bird that Tanya had and she kept showing pictures and videos of her and something really struck me about her. I made the long drive to Michigan with Teresa Page and met her and spent the day with her on my hand and the rest is history! I cannot tell you how much I love that little girl! After that, Chandra talked me into a YCA, Abigail who actually looks a lot like the one you are looking at right now. Abs is a complete and total hoot and so sweet. All bark and no bite...literally no bite at all! From there, it was all downhill and we added Nibbles, LCA, who was supposed to be a foster...fail! And then Iris BFA who is best buds with Ami now and then we got a BFA pair, Bobo and Harley, and finally, we ended with another female BFA who loves me, Cisco. I never thought I'd fall head over heels for them but I did! They are magical! I would love to have a Mealy because of their personality traits but I've promised to be home to a few other birds should they need a soft place to land and I need to keep that in perspective! I think you might fall in love if you go visit! And just for fun, here's a picture of my Abs! I can't say that any of my Amazons ever bite...well, Iris can be a brat and obviously, I don't mess with Bobo...he's a hot head but he's got a girl friend and is one of the hot three!

DSC06303.JPG

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
@jmfleish the no experience part is why I got excited when I saw he was a mealy. I though that would be the best way to get introduced to them. I absolutely love amazons but have been terrified of the hot 3 and how aggressive some can be. So I did research and when I found out they are considered the gentle giants, I talked with my husband and he agreed that we could meet Sydney and see how things go from there. I have not stopped thinking about him since I saw the picture and I really really hope it works out!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@jmfleish the no experience part is why I got excited when I saw he was a mealy. I though that would be the best way to get introduced to them. I absolutely love amazons but have been terrified of the hot 3 and how aggressive some can be. So I did research and when I found out they are considered the gentle giants, I talked with my husband and he agreed that we could meet Sydney and see how things go from there. I have not stopped thinking about him since I saw the picture and I really really hope it works out!
I just found this thread today and I'm already hooked -what happens next -will she get the bird?? :popcorn: I love these kinds of threads that keep you checking back.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC is a sweetie, not hot at all!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Personalities of adults are pretty good to lean on as far as what his temperament will be. I find Amazons to be pretty easy going for the most part. There are the hot three but even that doesn't tend to always hold true. I love my Amazons to bits.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Is it the eyes that make you fall in love in the first place so they can lure you close enough to enslave you permanently with their famous amazon scent? (I want to smell an amazon some time in my life to know if it's true!)
Oh....the smell...it's wonderful. My dad has a big yellow nape boy and we always laugh about how good his breath smells. :D:D I intend to bring home an orange winged amazon in the next few weeks. The people that have her are not bird people. I went to meet her last week, and commented about how good she smelled. They looked at me like I had completely lost it. :smug: