• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mealworms

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Well I guess my mealworm farm population is going to explode in a few months! The heat wave and air conditioner malfunction caused my mealworms to change form rapidly and I am going to have a ton of Beetles! This is on the tail of having trouble controlling the humidity with them. If my predictions are correct I will finally have the supply I want and I will just have to supply store bought for a little while longer. Having three lizards ,one being a glutton it has been hard to keep my supply at good level that doesn't require replenishing. I'm going to change my boxes today and see how many I really have. Anyone want to come sort mealworms? It's loads of fun!

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Thought about keeping some to feed to my birds, but I don't think it's for me. :lol:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
They are so easy to keep and breed! Some bugs are more finicky or fussy to keep for breeding but meal worms are not. The biggest thing you need to watch for is mold and keeping your numbers up. I recommend it! Piper and Bella enjoy them! I'm not sure about the others,I haven't tried.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I bought some for my birds once, but they didn't recognise them as food, so the mealworms started to escape. I know if they tried them, they would probably love them, but it wasn't to be.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mealworms! My chickens love them...they're expensive though.. oh well, happy chickens is worth it...:chickendance:

RoxieW

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Roxie
What about the dried ones ? Are those okay to feed my birds if I chopped them up?
I feed the dried ones to the outside birds, they love them.