• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Maybe he’s a she? Help

Nejibana

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Tia
I got my budgie -Lux- in early October 2018 and was fairly sure it was a he, the vet said 90% sure it was a he, but I recently noticed that his cere looks kinda brownish? I asked on a Facebook group an a few people said Lux was a she, but comparing with Luna, my other budgie who I’m sure is female and is a month or two younger than Lux, and looking at their behaviour, I’m not to sure... Her cere is darker brown and she is much more aggressive and tends to be generally more dominant, she always eats first and if she wants a toy, she chase him off it. Lux is a bit of a coward tbh, he never stands his ground or starts any arguments though he often tries to groom her which doesn’t seem to fit with what people say about having two females together.

If they are two females, should I seperate them? I haven’t noticed any fights or overly aggressive behaviour since they started to room together in December. But they are both still young and have only just gone through their first moult about a month ago.
Thanks in advance.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Probably a very good idea to keep an eye on them in the same cage if they are 2 females... I have never had 2 of the same sex together, so this is just from my limited reading. Lux sure looks like a female to me, but I'd love to see what others think! Lux is a beauty.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
There both beautiful! I agree, it defiantly looks like a she! At least from what i've heard, read, and experienced, brown or pink means "he's" probably female!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I have to confirm they're both female. Lux's cere is a lighter brown because she's younger and not in breeding condition.
You may need to keep a second cage ready just in case, but as there are no males involved they may get along just fine.

Both of them are beauties though.

Last edited:

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Definitely a she, and she's beautiful!

Keeping females together isn't as scary as people make it out to be. The best thing to do is to make sure you have two of everything. lol, seriously.

Do they have a favourite swing they biker over? Get a second one. A favourite toy? Get a second one, and maybe a third. Same with food and water dishes, two of everything!

When I'm not breeding, I keep all my males and females in seperate flight cages. Having multiples of everything has always helped lower the amount of bikering between the females.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Im amazed the vet couldnt tell you it was a female I kept my sexes seperated never had an issue until this year where they basically all killed eachother so no more females for me

YellowFeather

Checking out the neighborhood
Those budgies are definitely both female. I would recommend having two feeding and drinking stations, and as much perching space as possible. You could also get a male bird, as that would most likely reduce the fighting. Hope this helped!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Those budgies are definitely both female. I would recommend having two feeding and drinking stations, and as much perching space as possible. You could also get a male bird, as that would most likely reduce the fighting. Hope this helped!
Getting a male would make the two hens fight for him Id disagree on getting another

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I once had 4 females and 1 male together.... the one who got picked on the most? The male...

Two of the females were supposed to be males....

Yes, two females! I don't see anything to indicate otherwise!

I remember when I was young and relatively new to keeping budgies (I got into bird keeping when I was 12!), there was an adult doing a presentation on feeding pet birds. I remember how she said she had two male budgies in one cage and a female in another cage to prevent any breeding between them. After her presentation, I went up to her and told her that her "female" budgie was a male. She didn't believe me. All the vets and breeders said female! Why believe me? It wasn't until later when she attended a presentation by a behaviorist that it finally clicked, and when we met up again several years later, she came back and said I was right.

I'm also extremely intrigued by hybrids. I see so many odd and unique hybrids that you'd never think could happen, and they did! Cockatiel x galah, jardines x timmneh, lorikeet x king parrot, lorikeet x rosella, caique x conure, conure x amazon, etc... There are so many vets out there that still don't know about all these weird hybrids, let alone the general populace of bird keepers!

So don't fret it when someone has the wrong information, we are still learning a lot! :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I’m also intrigued by the galatiel, there’s like no information if they can breed or their life span or what their like, their so rare. But I do know it’s not best to try to breed these two , the size difference for the female must suck lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thankfully, *most* bird breeding isn't like mammal breeding... otherwise, true, that would suck!