• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe Getting a Betta Fish....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
I might be getting a Betta fish. Anyone here have experience with them? Could you show me some tank set-ups? Are they normally kept in a bowl, or a filtered tank? Any advice is welcome!!

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
They are often kept in bowls, but please do not! :). They are also often kept in unheated water but again, please dont do that either. They need just as much "special treatment" as any other fish. A good 5 gallon with filtered and heated water (after a fishless cycle of course) would be best! I have kept many bettas over the years, one lived for 9 years :). I love bettas, they are some of my favorite fish :D. Check out Waterfellers current thread, she posted pictures of the two cubes.. they each house a betta. While her's are beautifully scaped with live plants, they dont NEED live plants. They will be perfectly happy with some fake plants, some nice decor, etc :).

Lex123

OK, sounds good! What do they eat? Fish food I guess?

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
No KeeWee's pellets should be just fine :p J/k. Yes fishfood is great, betta food to be specific. Also fresh veggies etc is needed as well. They need a varied diet, just as our precious fids do ;)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
These were my two set ups. The first one was a 5.5 gallon that I divided for my two bettas. It was nice, filtered, heated.
But then we moved up to a 20L divided tank and they love it SO MUCH MORE!!!!!

I love my bettas!

Attachments

Lex123

They are so pretty!

If you have a male and a female together, will they breed? Or do Bettas do better alone?

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Bettas do better alone. Breeding is very difficult, males still can get aggressive with the females. Plus then you have a ton of babies to deal with!!

Lex123

OK, so they do fine alone. Thanks for answering my questions!

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I love Bettas, and have had several. They need at least a five gallon tank, heater, and filter. A varied diet is important as they are prone to constipation and Swim Bladder disorder.They don't like a lot of current ...Bettas will kill each other if tanked together. Males must be kept alone, but females can manage if kept in proper numbers and tank size. The male is much more personable than the female....

Attachments

Last edited:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Sharon!!! GORGEOUS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.