• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent May have aspirated 7 day old blue front

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
I’ve had a few people tell me different things for what temp I should be keeping Bub at, I’ve got the brooder set on about 32 and have been going by feel. Bub looks and feels comfortable at that temp. I’ve dropped it down from 36 the past weeks as pin feathers and down have started coming through. Although I’m not sure I’m out of the woods yet. It has been so rewarding watching this little guy grow, going to be very hard to let go of i’ll tell you that. If it were my birds that Bub came from I’d probably be keeping. But unfortunately I’m baby sitting the parents and a few other birds for a family friend while he gets ready to move.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It does become rather difficult when there are so many different bits of advice, I think the best you can do is make the decision for yourself I suppose.....you always have all the other bits of advice to try if the way you pick is not working well enough for you.
I can only imagine how rewarding it would be watching this little guy develop and learn, stressful and fulfilling all at the same time. You may be only baby sitting but maybe after you have spent so much time with the little one you may decide it fits perfectly into your family :D

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
I wish I could fit Bub into this house, but I think if I add any more birds into this house hold my parents will go insane hahaha. I think I’ve got 34 birds and that’s not including the 14 cockatiels, 2 eastern rosellas (we are keeping as they’re mums faviourite bird, and we’re rescues from falling out of a nest of a tree that was cut down to make fire wood) and also the blue front that I’m hand feeding. Hahaha

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Just need a bigger house maybe?? hehehe

I understand completely, birds are like pringles I think......you can never stop at one! Lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job raising Bub. Maybe there is some way you can wind up keeping him. I have no advice for you when it comes to raising a baby BFA. My BFA came to me when he was 3 mos. old and was fully weaned. I have raised red-bellied parrots. I used a heating pad for their brooder but only put it under 1/2 of the brooder so if they got too hot they could move to a cooler area.
BTW, could you just call the vet and do a phone consult regarding the sneezing? My babies didn't usually have any discharge when I was hand feeding.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They grow so fast. Look at those huge feet!
He is cute!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
He's adorable! I'm glad everything seems to be ok. BFAs are precious little monsters! We have three females and a pair.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Whoa... Giant feeties! I think his name should be changed from Bub to "Colossus" as I'm sure he'll grow into a giant Superhero!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Good golly look at them big feeties, holy buckets. He looks marvelous

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
He looks good, you are doing amazing with him, but the discharge is definitely not normal. You may want to do a phone consult with the avian vet

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Bub is back on antibiotics. I’m not certain if bub never full recovered the first time or if my mum had accidentally made a mistake while feeding Bub when I was at work... :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Bub has to take antibiotics again but hope that he will recover. Maybe has he gets older and builds more immunity things will improve.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh no, hope bubs recovers well again.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry to hear that Bub is sick again, and I hope he gets better soon!

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
062B7159-6ECD-4276-962F-94F6FFFED036.jpeg

35 days old today, and even though I said I was not going to keep Bub. My heart has been stolen and I’ve decided I’ll make room in this crazy bird house for just one more. Our battle is not over yet, we are taking a break from antibiotics and are on probiotics. I won’t be putting Bub back on antibiotics unless s/he seems to be going back down hill again. We’re going to try and get on top of this and strengthen that immune system. On that note I guess I have to start thinking of better names other than Bub, hahaha. Love this little guys personality..
Merry Christmas from us to you and your bird family!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bub is very cute and great that you are keeping him because you have done such a wonderful job helping him. He is in the right place.
Happy Holidays to you and Bub!