• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent May have aspirated 7 day old blue front

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hopefully all will be well with your baby. The Manilla vet clinic was quite helpful over the phone and they said they see birds a fair bit. Maybe worth trying them?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok, its stressful, but stay calm. If babies crop isnt working correctly, feed some Applesauce with Apple cider vinegar in it,, 6or 7 cc"s of applesauce with 5 or 6 drops of BRAGGS apple cider vinegar in it. The applesauce should be warmed to 102 F to 104F..massage the crop to get it moving, but not too hard to cause anything in there to come back up...youll need to do this 2 or 3 times a day until the crop clears,,, but still feed regular formula after an hour to two..after the applesauce..you can also give a few cc"s of just plain warm water and massage the crop,,takes longer, but will help..baby have a sour smell coming from its mouth? Also, keep baby warm, body temp does affect crop movement. He may have aspirated, not all hope is lost! If the vet gave you antibiotics, it's a fail safe in case anything is wrong. What were you given and how much, how long? I wish I was there to help you. I'm wishing you the best! Keep us updated.

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Home now, fed and antibiotics along with nilstat given. Mixed food with electrolytes. We called our vet in Sydney and he is organising better antibiotics for us with the vet down the road, when these antibiotics run out. Only gave us 3 days worth. I mixed the antibiotics with the formula so that I wouldn’t aspirate further. Thankyou everyone I’ll keep you updated.
Bub is 7 days old and fed hourly, this only happened this morning. Hopefully Bub will be on the mend very soon.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Home now, fed and antibiotics along with nilstat given. Mixed food with electrolytes. We called our vet in Sydney and he is organising better antibiotics for us with the vet down the road, when these antibiotics run out. Only gave us 3 days worth. I mixed the antibiotics with the formula so that I wouldn’t aspirate further. Thankyou everyone I’ll keep you updated.
Bub is 7 days old and fed hourly, this only happened this morning. Hopefully Bub will be on the mend very soon.
You talking about " Nystatin "? That's good for yeast and slow crops, glad the little ate and seems ok..:hug8:

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Yes sorry wasn’t to fussed about spelling hahah, also on enrotril. Once we are out of that Bub will be put on clavulox (if that’s how it’s spelt) our vet in Sydney has organised that to be prepared with the vet here in manilla.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I think they call Nystatin Nilstat here in Aus but I believe it is the same thing.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That's been disputed and (I would say) disproved. The crop should be allowed to fully empty at least once a day. But you can give a bird food even if its crop is not empty.
This... so you are correct on allowing it to fully empty at least once a day. My routine when I raised was to allow the crop to empty prior to feeding again to avoid putting new food in the chick when it still had the previous feeding sitting in the crop. I never had any issues with my babies so it worked well for me. The last sentence of this copy and paste ( The Science of Handfeeding and Weaning the Baby Parrot | The Parrot University, llc supports your post.

You do not want to routinely put new formula in a crop that still contains food from the last feeding. If the baby is not 100% healthy or the last feeding of formula somehow became contaminated with harmful bacteria, the number of bacteria in the remaining formula may have increased to unacceptable levels. Bacteria from contamination or from the crop lining of an ill baby can reproduce rapidly in a warm well-nourished environment like a crop. Generally, good bacteria already in the crop and digestive enzymes take care of limiting and killing the bad bacteria as they pass through the digestive tract. Bacteria laden formula in a thriving baby will usually pass through the intestines, but if new formula is added, the old bacteria laden formula will seed the new formula with a high dose of contamination. By the time this new formula would have passed it could have hundreds or thousands of times the original unacceptable level. This condition can cause a mild upset stomach or worse. Always allow the crop to be completely empty for at least one 2-hour period every day.

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
I generally let all my birds empty out over night, but considering I’m raising this baby from hatch, I’ve been waiting for the crop to empty before every feed. Except this morning when I started having crop problems, I’ve just been using a thin mix of formula and electrolytes to try and wash out what’s been left in the crop.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great news, I hope things keep looking up for you :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Excellent!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The number one cause of slow crop is yeast, the nystatin is an antifungal.

Antibiotics ( baytril & clavamox ) will kill bacteria but can also cause yeast so keep him on the nystatin while giving antibiotics.

Bacteria and yeast infections are common in babies. Keep everything around the baby clean. Feeding utensils, bedding, cages, wash your hands a lot. Make sure your formula is the right temperature. Too cold causes slow crop which causes infections, too hot and you can burn the babies crop. Consistency of the formula matters too. Too thick causes slow crop and thin formula is less nurishment. Make sure you are weighing your sweetie daily. Never feed too much formula that would cause the crop to stretch. An overfilled crop can spill when they lay down and will cause aspiration.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where are we in regard to the Karo syrup? It is my understanding that sweet foods like Karo will enhance the growth of yeast.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Where are we in regard to the Karo syrup? It is my understanding that sweet foods like Karo will enhance the growth of yeast.

Karo mixed with water is often used in an emergency for dehydration. It can also increase energy because of the sugar. Yeast does in fact thrive on sugar. Since this member is not having a dehydration issue karo should not be used.

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Giving antibiotics in the morning and of a night (enrotril), giving nystatin 4 times a day. Still mixing food with electrolytes. Bub hasn’t lost any weight. Only thing I’m still trying to adjust to is the feeding times have changed from 1-2 hrs to 3-4 hours. Not sure if that’s a problem with the crop or just because we’ve hit the 8 day mark.

Kay3

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karene
Bub is on last day of antibiotics today, I’m still concerned though as Bub has still been sneezing here and there and there’s not as much discharge as there was a week ago but still small amounts. I won’t be taking Bub to the vet again until his/her feathers have come through as it’s too stressful for the both of us sitting in a car for 40mins and trying to keep at regular temp. I could take Bub to the vet down the road but they don’t really have much knowledge on parrots and have just been going off what I know. Could the discharge be normal? Bub still hasn’t lost any weight, and crop is taking about 5-6 hours to empty. Not sure if that’s normal for 16 day old chick. As I’ve never raised from hatch before. Weighs about 102 grams this morning. Has put on 88 grams since hatch.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have no idea of the temperature you need to keep bub but I am hoping with the weather being a little warmer at the moment that may make things a little easier for you if you do have to make the trip to the vet again. I hope bub continues to improve and you get some well deserved rest. I do not think any discharge is normal but I am not sure what would be normal to expect after a slight aspiration so hopefully some of the others with more medical knowledge will come by soon to help you out with information. :)