• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

May 2016 Mayor of the Avenue... Bob (cassiesdad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am happy to announce that Bob is May's Mayor of the Month.
I enjoyed reading your interview, and am sure that everyone else will as well!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

We share our lives with...

Sky... 11 year old English Budgie

Nimbus...5 year old Budgie

Marley...3 year old Budgie

Igor... 16 year old Cockatiel

Mocha...5 year old Cockatiel

Titan...25 year old Indian Ringneck

Milton...20 year old Umbrella Cockatoo

2. What got you interested in birds?

We grew up with all types of animals. My Mom worked at W. T. Grants, a department store chain, in the pet department. She was always bringing home "female" canaries that turned out to be boys who sung, of course. I would sit entranced and listen to them for hours. That began my interest in birds.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

Joy.

Birds see the pure joy in life. Watching budgies roll around in leaves of lettuce, bouncing up and down on birdie bread, tiels running up and down on their ladders to spy themselves in the mirror. Titan coming up to you and saying "KISS KISS", then after receiving one saying, "OK!" Milton in the shower. They are so open with their sense of joy, so it's very easy to share it with them.

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

Patience. ..somebirdie is always going to try your patience...the ability to work as a team...no one person can tend to 7 birds by themselves for any length of time. A well coordinated plan with my wife and brother-in -law is needed to keep the birds happy and healthy.
Also, the sense that you don't know it all...that's a most humbling feeling, if you know what I mean. I learn something new almost every day about my birds, or avians in general. Many of the lessons are taught by the birds, themselves.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

The first time I met Cassie. We answered a classified ad that read " Adult Cockatoo for sale". We drove 35 miles out of town, and came to a very well kept house. We went down to the basement where, inside a large cage, sat a small cockatoo, who had plucked herself from mid-chest on down. The gentleman told us about Cassie, and she began reaching out to me through the cage. She grabbed my fingers and held tight for a half hour. I pried my fingers loose, and as I pulled them away, she reached out to grab them with her beak, resulting in a bite.
I was smitten, and we came back the next day with a rented van to bring Cassie and her cage home.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

The first floor of our house belongs to our birds. The living room and den belong to the littles. Our bedroom and computer room is Milton's domain.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

We did the usual things when we brought birds into our house. Got rid of teflon pans, candles, got away from spray can items. And as we increased the size of the flock, we got rid of dining table to have more room.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

We do therapy visits to extended care facilities in our area, and when we get the time, to a few schools. The ECF visits are so very rewarding in so many ways. The residents are enchanted by Milton, and he in turn, gets elated over all the attention that comes his way.
When we visit schools, the concentration is on education, although we do sneak in a little fun, too!

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

As like many of us, I'd love to have an aviary room for the littles. Watching the interaction between them in a space they could call their own would be a blast.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

I'm known to have a birdie crush on Quakers. I love their spirit, their independence, and their feisty way. I'd have a half dozen of them if I could.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

A typical day starts at about 6:30 with Milton waking us up with a soft chorus of "hi...hi...hi...hi". Cages are uncovered and doors opened, and stay opened the rest of the day. Fresh chop is prepared, food and water bowls are cleaned and filled for breakfast. Milty is given his baby oatmeal. After he's done, he helps himself to my cereal. About 9:30, on alternate days, the little's cages are stripped down and cleaned...otherwise a light cleaning is performed. On "light cleaning" days, Milty enjoys a shower.

All during the day, all birds are given direct attention, as well as ambient attention by myself, my wife, and my brother-in law.
About 4:00, Milton's cage and room are cleaned. 5:00, Milton is served dinner...baby food. Littles water bowls are checked, and Titan gets his treat-an almond. This is also the time the littles get treats, such as birdie bread.
6:30 is "lights out" for the littles, and they are covered for the night. Milton's bed time is up to him...usually between 6 and 6:30.

And then it starts again the next day...

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

I've learned so much... like how important good nutrition is to owning healthy, happy birds. 30 years ago, all I fed our birds was seed, consequently, we had birds live short lives. It's so important to have our birds get and stay on a good schedule, with good sleep habits. And most importantly, how critical you interact with your birds as much as you can. We are their flock, after all, and most birds are flock animals...

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

The last question dovetails into this one. I wish I would've known that birds need a varied diet and they needed a routine in their lives. There were so very few resources for info on birds years ago, and the info was so old and out of date.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

I don't really have much time for hobbies. I do enjoy watching sports on TV,and going on-line.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

I feel very honored to be named Mayor of the Avenue. It's just about time for Milton's dinner, so I'd best be going...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:

Now I get it your comment. You didn't get your Mayor banner yet!
I know you knew this & kept it all to yourself!

I'll have to read it later though as I'm falling alseep

I did this when Rio got Celebirdy. :bounce7:

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Now I get it your comment. You didn't get your Mayor banner yet!
I know you knew this & kept it all to yourself!

I'll have to read it later though as I'm falling alseep

I did this when Rio got Celebirdy. :bounce7:
Thank you!

But...there is something else brewing around here...;)

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Well deserved! Congrats!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, at last!!! :yes4: Congratulations!!

:loveshower::bliss::bounce7:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:alexcool: Way to go, Bob!:yah: :yourock:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I loved reading your interview Bob!
:starshower1::starshower::yah:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love reading the things you write, Bob :)

:Congratwav:

:yourock::giveme5::drinks:

Status
Not open for further replies.