• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maximilian experiences?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Eloy how do you handle your girls with the egg laying and hormones?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Eloy how do you handle your girls with the egg laying and hormones?
Not so loud! They still don't know anything about that. :D
I will make adjustment when they come. I have dummy eggs at home, but I hope I never need to use them.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to the bronze wing club!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
What is your smaller one? the white cap? Aren't they the smallest pionus?

I'm slightly concerned because it's official, i bring this little monster home in a week or two
View attachment 251343

Unlike pretty much everybody i've met on craigslist trying to "rehome" a bird, this guys actually trying to rehome his bird. He clearly knows and loves birds and has done his due diligence screening . Most of the pionus owners i've talked to since i made this thread, including the owner i met today think the cage i have with the 1" bar spacing will be fine. I will definitely be hanging out and observing.

But yeah, this is Aurora, an unsexed but they think female 2 year old bronze wing pionus. She seems really sweet. She was clearly nervous around me at first but still stepped right up for me and hung out on my shoulder for a good 25 minute and started making contented chatter even and seemed to warm up to me very fast enough though she wouldn't take a treat from either me or her bonded human. She's fully flighted but doesn't seem all that great at it. Noisewise she was very chill and just chattered a bit curiously while eying me up and down. They said she's "really loud" but clarified that her loudness is her morning flock call which again i'm not too worried about.

Only reason i didn't take her home today was stuff for the cage hasn't come in and this was earlier than anticipated. I want to build a big play gym and some perches out of pvc, i want to go over teh house and clean and disinfect stuff with bird safe cleaning stuff, just have everything ready for her to move in.

Keep in mind this is all contingent on the assumption they didn't just screw me over haha. I gave them 100 bucks to take down the craigslist ad and consider her adopted. They struck me as good people and definitely animal lovers. Though the wife clearly won't be sad to see the bird go, she's terrified of him lol.

Here's a question. How long do parrots grow? wondering if this girls going to get bigger, she's 2 years old.
Well if you think one inch is fine based on the specific pionus you are adopting then no need to mind my thoughts on it and no need to attack my experience and opinion. If you feel that the one inch is fine based on the fact that you already have the cage, then....To me it depends on the specific pionus, not the genre. Plus I consulted with my board certified avian vet..There are old threads on bar spacing on Pionus Pointe with varying opinions and experiences. I bought a cage before I brought home my pionus. After I decided it was the wrong cage for him I sold the cage and bought amother one.

But I correct myself I have 5/8th spacing

Best wishes with adoption. Birds deserve another chance

The Ultimate Bird Cage Bar Spacing Guide

Last edited:

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Congrats on the new baby. I do recommend getting her DNA sexed. Just to let you know what you may be in for when she matures. I have never kept mine in anything bigger than a half inch so I cannot comment on the wire spacing. Do not think I would go that wide but that is me.
Hope you get to bring her home sooner than anticipated. What foods is she on?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Well if you think one inch is fine based on the specific pionus you are adopting then no need to mind my thoughts on it and no need to attack my experience and opinion. If you feel that the one inch is fine based on the fact that you already have the cage, then....To me it depends on the specific pionus, not the genre. Plus I consulted with my board certified avian vet..There are old threads on bar spacing on Pionus Pointe with varying opinions and experiences. I bought a cage before I brought home my pionus. After I decided it was the wrong cage for him I sold the cage and bought amother one.

But I correct myself I have 5/8th spacing

Best wishes with adoption. Birds deserve another chance

The Ultimate Bird Cage Bar Spacing Guide
I didn't attack anybody. I was just expressing why I'm not sure whether my cage is wrong or not. I hear one thing from you, one thing from the owner, one thing from bird information site X and one from bird site Y. Like with everything since i decided to do this, i'm getting conflicting information from all over place. I'm going to observe her on her first days home while she's getting acclimated to her cage. I should be able to tell whether she can fit her head through the bars. If I think she can, i'll start looking at plan b, maybe wrapping the cage with a non rusting mesh of some kind :\

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. If you have enough "stuff" right now to at least get her in the cage then perhaps you can bring her home sooner. I wouldn't worry about the play gym yet. What type of cage is she in now? What is the bar spacing? Compare that to what you have and go from there. Best of luck to you with Aurora.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Congrats. If you have enough "stuff" right now to at least get her in the cage then perhaps you can bring her home sooner. I wouldn't worry about the play gym yet. What type of cage is she in now? What is the bar spacing? Compare that to what you have and go from there. Best of luck to you with Aurora.
It's not just the play gym, i want to go over the house, parrot proof and disinfect things. Yeah she won't come out of the cage for a day or two till she's comfortable with her new digs but I'd like to have some perches and things for her to hang out on with something to catch the crap when she does. Also she's a floor explorer, i want to mop the floors with bird safe cleaning stuff, i need to figure out what to do with my ammo loading bench which probably isn't bird safe and has gun powder sprinkled all over it, I just want to be sure things are safe. Honestly I could be wrong but I think the cage she's in now is too small, like cockatiel or budgee sized but a similar style to my steel play top. I think she spends most of her awake time on top of it or on her bonded human's shoulders so this isn't a big deal.

This just came up pretty sudden and i'm not super 100% prepared. I wasn't set to even be seriously looking till the end of the month, but I saw the ad and saw they were looking specifically for knowledgeable people and figured i'd give them a call and it snowballed from there.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can't always predict when we will find that bird we are looking for or a bird that we weren't looking for but just sort of came our way. It's great that you are making sure everything is bird safe in your home. Are they giving her up because the wife is afraid of her?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Can't always predict when we will find that bird we are looking for or a bird that we weren't looking for but just sort of came our way. It's great that you are making sure everything is bird safe in your home. Are they giving her up because the wife is afraid of her?
They said they're giving her up because they have 2 kids, 2 dogs and a 3rd kid on the way, the bird doesn't like the wife and the husband is away for work a lot now. Just seemed like a full house already and about to get a bit more full.

And no we can't predict that! This was very unexpected. i was determined to get an amazon. That all went away within about 15 minutes of meeting this little dinosaur.

One more question. What information is usually put on leg bands? I'm not sure if they have hatch papers for her, i forgot to ask again. Is there a hatch date on bands or anything?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck with your new lil one she is sure a beauty :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The hatch date may or may not be on the band and that is generally listed sideways (just the year). Some breeders just use id numbers for birds with no hatch info listed. Sometimes the state is listed and that is generally sideways...such as FL for Florida, CA for California, etc. There really is no standard here. There will generally be a code/id for the breeder such as PR which stands for Pet Ranch. Sometimes a band can be traced to a vendor/organization such as the letters "AFA" = American Federation of Aviculture. I believe there are a few states which might have band regulations.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Eloy lol how old are your girls? And how do you think their temperament is?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Best of luck with your new lil one she is sure a beauty :)
Thanks! Thanks for the well wishes and all your help everybody!

One more question. The pionus wheeze, (which is super cute), from your experience is that usually a contentment thing? a fear thing? Aurora did it a few times, once when she was on my shoulder and started making some soft chatter noises. I couldn't see her but dude said she looked content and was possibly going to preen my ear or hair which she likes to do. 2nd time was after she was put in her cage. I just wanted to take a good look at her and she started doing it again so i backed off a bit, but she didn't move at all, just sat very still in the very middle of the cage. THe guy said if she was afraid of me she would have gone to the opposite side of the cage.

When do your pi's typically do this?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Eloy lol how old are your girls? And how do you think their temperament is?
If you look in my signature you can see their hatch date. :)
Their temperament is perfect for me. They are playful, pretty independent, and very sweet and gently.
I think they are very easy, but I also had a very hormonal male to compare with.
Are you thinking of getting a Pi?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Huh, so it's not that common and it's usually a contentment thing? I see conflicting things on various websites. Everything from "excited" to "scared" to "happy". Her owner said she does it either when she's happy or scared. I just wonder. she SEEMED to warm up to me pretty quick but i'm not terribly well versed in pi body language yet so it was hard to tell.

I also thought she smelled like a ferret but less strong, though still surprisingly strong. As a long time ferret owner i find the smell pleasant. I'm pretty sure she doesn't shower very often like at all. He said she doesn't like showers unless she's on your shoulder and you're in the shower.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Like a ferret?
No no no. Once she starts getting some regular baths and then you will get the pretty smell. It's kind of floral in my opinion. As babies the smell is not that nice but an adult pionus smells great in my opinion.
Also the only time any of my pionus wheeze is when they are mad or scared. Not that often.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My vet recommend them to me when the time is right for us.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Like a ferret?
No no no. Once she starts getting some regular baths and then you will get the pretty smell. It's kind of floral in my opinion. As babies the smell is not that nice but an adult pionus smells great in my opinion.
Also the only time any of my pionus wheeze is when they are mad or scared. Not that often.
Hmm, interesting. Yeah, she had a sorta musty smell, slightly sweet but definitely musty, almost like ferret musk. If it's really true she'll only take a shower on your shoulder, guess i'll be having company in the shower from here on out lol.