• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Max got a small cut on his bald spot on his head

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
it's a very tiny cut and no bleeding but it is redder than the rest of his head, I was wondering what antiseptic I can use can I use normal human antiseptic for his cut?? And has this happened to anyone before?
Any Tips??

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Just warm water and Q tip to keep it clean.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is Max?
Hope he is on the mend.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
Max is doing great every day the little cut seems to shrink so I think he'll be fine. However his poop is a dark blackish color and it's gooey is that normal?

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What are you feeding him?

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I've read many threads about that might be caused by blue berries or such but I've feed him nothing but his seeds, I mixed in cayenne pepper into his seed bowl incase it is internal bleeding.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've read many threads about that might be caused by blue berries or such but I've feed him nothing but his seeds, I mixed in cayenne pepper into his seed bowl incase it is internal bleeding.
Can you take a picture? You may need to take him to the vet just to be on the safe side.

MaxieTheBirdie

Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I will take a picture and upload it soon, however it's on and off so he would poop Blackish gooey stool then green stool, I just put cayenne pepper in his food and he's eating fine, so im gonna wait for just a little longer.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Black gooey stool not explained by food (as in this case) is an emergency. You need to be at the vet right now.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Outdated seeds might cause that... too what brand do you feed him? Baylee had this with vitaseeds brand once vet said too many colorants in this seeds made her poop black then she suggested a variety of food to avoid the many colorants that this particular brand have.. so besides improving her diet I changed the seeds brand. This was in 2012.

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Dexter had black poop once. He had swallowed a foreign body and was dying. Vets confirmed it was internal bleeding from the item inside him. Your bird might be dying. Please take maxie to the vet if he is bleeding internally. If this were a human, they'd be in the ER the moment the symptoms started, and birds are much more fragile than we are.