• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mauve (DF Cobalt) dominant pied

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Anyone know how mauve differs from violet?

Guessing single factor dominant pied

What would a bird of this mutation look like at maturity...Anyone have any pics?

@Monica

Mauve Cobalt Pied.jpg

Male & female just weaned...Top Right is the boy.

Mauve (DF Cobalt) dominant pied..jpg
Under 3 mo? Like the white tail better.

Good site

Budgie Mutation And Color Guide - Cute Little Birdies Aviary

Guess I'd prefer violet with spangle wings like my late Bubbles (Murphy is stunning) but saw these interesting english budgies...

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you considering getting one?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
That's what happens when you look at craigslist sometimes.
Nice English Budgies.
Just was looking...I had an English & they are sweet. These are handfed & tame

Guess this is what adult lookslike. I wort of like the lighter wings with less black.

Really good budgie mutation genetics
Budgie Parakeet Colors, Varieties, Mutations, Genetics

:fairy2:

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
OMG
Too cute! Especially the one napping.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Male is on right & he's spoken for...That's OK...That's the nicer looking one.

I really prefer the spangles like my Bubbles.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Mauve indicates double dark factor. There is no "color", just a darker form. SF forms are a nice, deep, rich blue color, where-as the DF forms tend to be grey-ish in coloration.

Violet is.... well, violet. Most violet mutations are probably difficult to identify as it would be so easy to mistake it for another mutation.

Neither of which should be mistaken for grey..... normally easy to ID in the blue series, but more difficult in the green series. (just like violets!)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Mauve indicates double dark factor. There is no "color", just a darker form. SF forms are a nice, deep, rich blue color, where-as the DF forms tend to be grey-ish in coloration.

Violet is.... well, violet. Most violet mutations are probably difficult to identify as it would be so easy to mistake it for another mutation.

Neither of which should be mistaken for grey..... normally easy to ID in the blue series, but more difficult in the green series. (just like violets!)
Thanks

Does look more grey so thanks for clearing that up as figured double factor would mean the deepest blue.

Good info...

The Beauty of the Budgerigar: Colors, Mutations, and More | budgerigar

Mauve
One year later, the Double Factor blue budgie was born in France. The darker hue is a mix between blue, purple and grey, which gives it a muddier tone like its Olive Green equivalent.

Violet
Violet is a rarely seen mutation that first appeared in Australia in the early 1930s and is a favorite among fanciers. The mutated gene intensifies the green or blue base color to create a richer shade. Adding a Single Factor or Double Factor further enriches the hue, which can range from pastel lavender to royal purple. Although Violet can be present in both the Green Series and Blue Series, it is most visible in blue budgies. A Violet Light Green is often mistaken for Dark Green. Identifying features include a richer hue on the mantle than the rest of the body color as well as a turquoise tinge on the tail feathers and a violet-blue tint on the vent feathers along the edges. Violet Blue budgies have dark navy blue tail feathers.

The co-dominant Violet gene can combine with other dominant and recessive mutations. The Violet Grey budgie is similar in shading to the Mauve.

HAMILTON & DISTRICT BUDGERIGAR SOCIETY INC.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't feel as if violets are rare, unless they mean a "true violet", which would be SF Violet, SF Dark Blue... or whatever people want to consider a "true" violet. But yes, that just goes to show how confusing it can be to identify some mutations! LOL