• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Ok so Loki wanted to mate with Rocko today (video is on another thread) and Rocko didnt seem interested and im thinking should I let them breed? And if I didnt want to breed and they mated would she lay fertilised eggs? And again if I dont wanna breed should I let her be hormonal or should I be putting her to bed earlier? does it effect her if she is left hormonal?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
And if I didnt want to breed and they mated would she lay fertilised eggs?

I don't think what you want will make any difference here. :roflmao: Yes, if they mated it's likely the eggs would be fertilized. The only guarantee for unfertilized eggs is not having a male present at all.

If you don't want them breeding (which I think is the wisest course of action here), then it's best to try to decrease her hormones and hormonal behavior - especially because she's a female and hormones can lead to a host of problems. Put her to bed earlier, decrease high-fat/calorie foods, and increase the training, foraging, and enrichment in her environment to keep her distracted.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok so Loki wanted to mate with Rocko today (video is on another thread) and Rocko didnt seem interested and im thinking should I let them breed? And if I didnt want to breed and they mated would she lay fertilised eggs? And again if I dont wanna breed should I let her be hormonal or should I be putting her to bed earlier? does it effect her if she is left hormonal?

As Rachel said, it doesn't really matter what you want and you can not stop a hormonal cycle because it's a biological function that once started must run its course which can be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks.

Get yourself some fake eggs. Replace the real ones and let them go about their business. All your worries are gone.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I don't think what you want will make any difference here. :roflmao: Yes, if they mated it's likely the eggs would be fertilized. The only guarantee for unfertilized eggs is not having a male present at all.

If you don't want them breeding (which I think is the wisest course of action here), then it's best to try to decrease her hormones and hormonal behavior - especially because she's a female and hormones can lead to a host of problems. Put her to bed earlier, decrease high-fat/calorie foods, and increase the training, foraging, and enrichment in her environment to keep her distracted.
Ok thanks.Are there any other ways to get her to bed earlier without putting everybody to bed?

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
As Rachel said, it doesn't really matter what you want and you can not stop a hormonal cycle because it's a biological function that once started must run its course which can be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks.

Get yourself some fake eggs. Replace the real ones and let them go about their business. All your worries are gone.
She hasnt laid any eggs and probably wont if she wants to mate with Rocko.Wow 12 weeks is a long time.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What makes you think she won't lay eggs if she's mating? Birds don't do it for fun like people do.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
What makes you think she won't lay eggs if she's mating? Birds don't do it for fun like people do.
I didnt say that I said she probably wont lay (unfertilised eggs) until she gets to mate.And nothing makes me think this I dont know much about egg laying.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I didnt say that I said she probably wont lay (unfertilised eggs) until she gets to mate.And nothing makes me think this I dont know much about egg laying.
Oh, okay. I misunderstood what you had written. Are you planning to buy fake eggs for when she does lay?

How you put her to bed sort of depends on your situation. You can try put her to bed and cover her cage in a quiet room. If you have a sleep cage, perhaps put that in the room you used to have downstairs so she's away from the other two in your room? Rocko might flock call to her regardless, so you may have to cover both of them at a set time.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That Is not true. Birds and several of species of animals mate for the pleasure.

My cockatiel pair mated year round. Every single day. And only once a year, unless a nest box was up, she laid eggs and semi-cared for them in the feed dish. Lol.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That Is not true. Birds and several of species of animals mate for the pleasure.

My cockatiel pair mated year round. Every single day. And only once a year, unless a nest box was up, she laid eggs and semi-cared for them in the feed dish. Lol.
Oh yes, if you only heard Tuck. He is a very vocal birdie that makes it apparent he is having and good time and when he is finished.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My cockatoos would hump me all day every say for the rest of their lives, doesnt matter if its breeding season or not. They are always in the mood even if I look at them. Lol.

"Oh she is looking at me! Ima coming baby!"
:D