• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating with Toys

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wanted to add something interesting. When Gigi is romancing her toy, she does her taught sounds, a wolf whistle and her "come here dog" whistle. Isn't that funny? I wonder why. She has quite a varied amount of her own vocalizations to choose from.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
SN's Cuttin' Corners is Sam Axe's chosen current "mate" I hear it more than I see it (he stops if he thinks he's been spotted). I can't say I've noticed quivering, but, like I said, I rarely catch him in the act.

Nobirby

Jogging around the block
It is easy and inexpensive to have a bird dna sexed. We have done it all our birds. Costs around $15. And you just pluck a few feather from the birds lower underside.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Not much with my Penny or Rio...

Rio never...Penny I catch her tail up resting on her calcium shell toy a few times..

Had a tiel once that would go to town when you pinned a crown of broccoli for him...It was full on love humpin broccoli..

:rofl:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
He was at it again today, with his previous bell! At least I know he's quietly whispering sweet nothings to his bell, and it's a good silent...Not the bad silent like when I caught him eating the wall!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
SN's Cuttin' Corners is Sam Axe's chosen current "mate" I hear it more than I see it (he stops if he thinks he's been spotted). I can't say I've noticed quivering, but, like I said, I rarely catch him in the act.
Sunshine will romance his food bowl by singing to it while he's doing his thing...then he'll look right at us and chirp when he's done...I don't know what to make of all that...;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I know that a lot of people say it's "normal" and "fine to leave them" but what if it's not really "normal"? I'm not saying that birds can't, or wont naturally do it... wild birds have been well documented masturbating! Penguins, ducks and other species.

What I'm saying is, what if this behavior is a sign of something being "wrong"? What if, through lack of mental and physical stimulation, that is, no outlet for their energy, the bird has taken to masturbation as a way to "release" that energy? Some birds scream excessively, some birds become aggressive, and others? They just become horny!

You have a cockatoo. This cockatoo plucks. What if this sexual arousal and the plucking are signs that he's not getting the enrichment and direction that he needs? Obviously, this is not your fault, as you adopted him in this condition... but I'm wondering, is it really a good idea to "allow" this behavior to continue when there may be a better method of teaching him how to release this energy?

As for sexing cockatoos... here's one 'guide'.

Sexing Cockatoos | Beauty of Birds

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Monica I think you're probably at least partly right, our birds aren't really meant to be in captivity and exhibit behaviors in our homes that they wouldn't in the wild. It will be interesting to see if his barbering and sexy times both decrease, or if just the barbering fades. Or they both may stay the same.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He's just making me think about Sunshine, a cockatoo that Lara Joseph has recently taken in to work with him and eventually find him a home. :) You can learn more about him and what she's doing here!

Sunshine, the sulphur crested cockatoo

(look through posts and videos!)

Sam, I Can Foundation - Home | Facebook

Lara runs her own training facility, and it's freaking amazing! She has some posts about Sunshine on there as well as her personal page, too.

The Animal Behavior Center, LLC - Educational Consultant - Sylvania, Ohio | Facebook - 126 Reviews - 3,907 Photos

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Chipper brought me his beloved bell this morning, which is the first time he's sought me out! I sat down to see what he wanted, and he wanted to bury his head and bell into me and make adorable noises. Pretty sure he wanted me to be his nest or something, he was determined to bury himself in me! I can see why uninformed people think "Oh, he wants to snuggle! I'll just pet his back, he loves it!" Thankfully I have AA to teach me! I got up, and placed his bell in his cage, and he followed it. He approached me a few more times, but when I only offered my arm, he lost interest.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They are a sexual being also in captivity with no mate. I think Monica has a point that we do have to be alert for excess as it could be they are bored & we could find something to enrich there lives & stimulate them & wear off excess energy in other ways. Its no good to fall in love with a mirror or bell as it is also a problem to fall in love with an arm or person as it can lead to frustration. Can't take away there natural sexual tendencies but give them lots of things to do & play with to keep them active & there minds entertained so that they don;t fall into habitual patterns that go nowhere like plucking or humping a bell all day...

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Monica And @camelotshadow great ideas. He will do just about anything for that bell, so maybe I can use it to teach him some basic commands. It's difficult to find the time most days, since Ellen insists on being involved and Chipper isn't relaxed around her yet, but I've got a short list of things I want to teach him like Step Up and Down, and Station.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@Monica And @camelotshadow great ideas. He will do just about anything for that bell, so maybe I can use it to teach him some basic commands. It's difficult to find the time most days, since Ellen insists on being involved and Chipper isn't relaxed around her yet, but I've got a short list of things I want to teach him like Step Up and Down, and Station.
Take him away from the cage & the other bird when you train him as its better for concentration...
Just 15min...Short sessions are best anyway...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow, for the first time ever in my life I have a bird who is relieving themselves on a toy and a perch! This is a first for me!!!
I thought my budgie had his foot stuck in a toy so I went to investigate and make sure he was alright.......oh boy did I get given a get lost type of look! The little thing was going to town on the perch and part of the toy. I have never before had a bird do this (not that I ever saw anyway) so I will keep an eye on this thread for some information.
I kind of feel like I just invaded Squeaks privacy by getting so close to check on him while he was just making birdie happy time.....it was probably the look he gave me that makes me feel like this:rofl: