• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maroon bellied vs Pearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Are they the same? :huh: On some websites it says that pearly's are their own sub-species but on others it says they are the same as maroon bellies...

And then I get different looking conures when I google image them...

Pearly:

Maroon bellied:

Since they look different, are they really separate? I'm leaning towards that, but if that's the case - why do some websites list them as the same species?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you're thinking of Crimson Bellied, not Maroon Bellied. Crimson Bellied conures are subspecies of Pearly Conures.

ETA: I just read that Crimson bellied are the nominate specie, P. perlata perlata.

And this is a Maroon Bellied:

maroonbellied.jpg

Last edited:

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I think you're thinking of Crimson Bellied, not Maroon Bellied. Crimson Bellied conures are subspecies of Pearly Conures.

And this is a Maroon Bellied:

View attachment 105670

Hmm. Interesting. Google images comes up with all kinds of conures when you look one up lol. I even saw a turquoise green cheekie when I looked up pearly :huh:

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I believe there has been some recent reclassification of Pearly and Crimson Bellied conures. I guess I'm not 100% sure where things stand now, what's updated and what's not. Immature CB conures look a lot like Pearly conures and I think that's where some of the confusion stems from.

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I believe there has been some recent reclassification of Pearly and Crimson Bellied conures. I guess I'm not 100% sure where things stand now, what's updated and what's not. Immature CB conures look a lot like Pearly conures and I think that's where some of the confusion stems from.
Yeah, I read that somewhere too and figured that might be why, but if they look different when mature then I dunno why there's so much confusion.

In either case, I think pearly's are absolutely stunning.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Aww, that first little guy passed away a few years ago...his owner was devastated...was surprised to recognize him.

They are all stunning though!

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
There's a person selling "green cheek conure" babies on hoobly in Michigan and I swear they look more like a pearly than a green cheek. They have blue on their cheeks and chest and fire red on the underside of their wings.. SO pretty:D

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a person selling "green cheek conure" babies on hoobly in Michigan and I swear they look more like a pearly than a green cheek. They have blue on their cheeks and chest and fire red on the underside of their wings.. SO pretty:D
These, right? Green Cheek Babies

Those aren't "colorful green cheeks" like they claim on their website, they're hybrids. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.