• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Marigolds?

BudgieMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Montana
Hello, i was wondering if i can feed my budgie these kind of marigold (Tagetes) I tried putting it in there cage but they don't eat it or touch it i know that it takes time but i wanna know if they can eat it and how to make them like it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Are you sure they are marigolds??? Chrysanthemums killed my moms canary.
They are sort of so close to take a chance...

Marigolds are supposed to have essential oils that can be good but suppose they are too strong for the bird???

Insecticide: The Tagetes essential oil is lethal to insects and kills them. Therefore, it keeps away parasitic insects such as mosquitoes, fleas, bed bugs, and lice. Common household insects such as cockroaches, ants, white ants, or termites are also kept away.

9 Surprising Benefits of Tagetes Essential Oil | Organic Facts

Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Tagetes may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family. Members of this family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many others. If you have allergies, be sure to check with your healthcareprovider before taking tagetes.

Last edited:

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Marigolds are fine but only if you're sure they haven't been treated with fertilizers or pesticides.
I would try giving them some leafy greens instead if you can, if they are grown for food, they are less likely to have anything harmful on them.