• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Manzanita question

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
There is tons about it online, but wanted to double check here with the people who's opinions I greatly value.

I work as a floral designer, and in the shop there was a large manzanita branch that had been there since time immemorial. They were going to toss it out so I took it home.

I have no idea the origins of this branch - whether it was ever treated with pesticides or something else...I live in an area where a lot of manzanita grows in the outskirts..

I have scrubbed it well with a new scrub brush and gave it a good vinegar spray and rinse.

It does have much of its bark left on, though a ton of it shed when I scrubbed it. It is way too big to place in an oven for heat treatment.

Am I good to go, adding it to Duckie's room or should I do something else? Also, it's freezing cold where I am, so I can't leave it out in the sunshine at the moment.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Do you have a picture of it

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Nice branch good find if you can use it @Mizzely might know

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It being inside for so long I would be comfortable using it, provided no one was using any type of sprays etc around it!

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Emma&pico Yes, I hope so. I should add that it would be highly unlikely that a manzanita would be sprayed with pesticides in the area where I live as most of it is in the hills growing wild. I researched some and don't see any pesticide sprays being done on manzanita...

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Mizzely It was stored in the rafters, but we do use finishing spray called AquaFinish on the floor for the arrangements. It's not an aerosol, so I'm not sure it would travel to the rafters. It does say on the bottle "non-toxic and biodegradable." I found the full safety data sheet online which says "Contains no hazardous ingredients at levels requiring disclosure by OSHA Hazards Communication Standard." So, I don't know if that means anything but sounds promising.

I feel like with all the scrubbing I did, nothing would be left on it if there was anything there in the first place. Plus much of the bark peeled off while scrubbing...