• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mango is home!

Mango's Beak

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Good Afternoon,

On Saturday we brought home Mango! He is sassy! His hatch date was 12/31/17, so he is just a baby! He is our first bird!! Growing up I was around parakeets and canaries, so this will be a new adventure for all of us. Mango is a Pineapple GCC. The breeder did spend some time with him and he does step to your hands and he seems to like to be out of the cage. We currently have 3 dogs and a cat, whom are all locked up while Mango is out of the cage. He is very quiet, we have only heard him chirping a few times. Definitely no squawks yet!

Since we are new, I would love tips! Tips on how to keep him from being beaky. He is small but he has a strong bite!! He seems to be eating well...seed, pellets, apples, bananas, peas and carrots! Tonight I will give him some berries!

He is currently in a 20 X 20 X 60 cage...it seems perfect for one bird! And that is where we plan on staying! He will stay on the perch on top, or at least he did last evening for about 45 minutes. We do plan on having him out of the cage multiple times a day. We have read that 2 to 4 hours a day is good. Sound about right?

This morning he has been keeping me on my toes. While he is playing, he was flapping his wings. I thought he was stuck on something...he looked at me like I was crazy! My other question is, does it take some time for his footing to mature? It seems like there has been a couple of times that he has been climbing or playing with toys trying to maneuver him self that he falls. I figured it had to do with being young and exploring, but couldn't really find anything on the internet.

I am sure I will be asking questions and stalking the threads. I am happy I found this place.

Jessica and Mango

29103773_10156358277485087_435729418636230656_n.jpg 29196689_10156361459590087_3824941691626848256_n.jpg

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Has Mango been to an avian vet? If you haven’t got avian doctors nearby, some regular vets have treated birds.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome! And what a handsome fella. :heart2: The cage sounds like it may be a little on the small side if the 20s are the widths (birds don't usually use the height so much) so maybe a wider cage later? And if he continues having footing issues, maybe a shorter one as well? You could also pad the bottom of this cage with a towel until then & cover that with newspaper to keep it clean longer. :)

As for the footing, it is possible there may have been some difficulty in the nest or he may just not be used to climbing and playing with toys if those are new to him. I'd suggest taking him to a vet if it continues to see if they can determine the cause; might be something correctable. :tup:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. He is cute.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Congrats on Mango! Such a cutie pie!

If the wings have been clipped that may cause balance issues and clumsiness but an avian vet check up is always a good idea anyway.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and congratulations!

Mango's Beak

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica
Thank you for the Welcome!! It has been amazing the last few days...from sitting on his perch staring at us on Saturday to him jumping around the perches and playing with his toys this morning...and so much fun to watch!!!