• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mallow is MIA

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That's an idea. I could try it out.

I just searched the drainage and substrate, piece by piece, pouring over every last bit, and found nothing. Not even an exoskeleton. He's just gone. I don't know what to do. If I should keep looking, or give up, or what... :cry3:
The point of my 50 year old story is...Don't Give Up! When you least expect it Mallow will be sitting right there like nothing happened.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure about millies (and this is a bit gross but may help you eliminate Mallow’s death) but I know when centipedes die they have an awful smell similar to off prawn/fish......don’t ask me how I know! Might help to find out if something the size of Mallow could make a smell while decomposing. If the tank is mostly sealed and humid and he decomposed I am wondering if there may be a tell tale lingering smell. The fact he eats decaying leaves may mean he would not have an odor during decomposition. The other thing that crossed my mind is not nice either but depending it may just be a possibility. Could Fuzzgig have gotten him? I hope not but it crossed my mind.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I should say, by almost sealed, I mean that it's almost airtight. Not totally, but almost. It's like Fort Knox in there.

Might help to find out if something the size of Mallow could make a smell while decomposing. If the tank is mostly sealed and humid and he decomposed I am wondering if there may be a tell tale lingering smell. The fact he eats decaying leaves may mean he would not have an odor during decomposition.
When Akeley died (bigger millie than Mallow) she had a pretty faint fishy smell. But litterally only if I put my nose right up to her. Since Mallow is so much smaller, I don't think he'd smell any more than she did, if at all...

The other thing that crossed my mind is not nice either but depending it may just be a possibility. Could Fuzzgig have gotten him? I hope not but it crossed my mind.
I don't think that's possible, since to get to Fuzzgig he'd need to go down about 6 feet to the floor, across a big open space, up 4 feet of metal and 1 foot of glass, open a sliding glass door and crawl in. Also Fuzzgig and his fat butt never go anywhere, he's very noticeable when he moves because he leaves a frog-butt-shaped hole in the moss.