• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs female, subspecies differences?

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Seriously considering another Eclectus, after I lost my boy recently.
I have only had male parrots before. What would I expect behaviourally from a female?
Eli was a Solomon Island Eclectus. Is there any difference in behavioural traits of the other subspecies? Or just looks and size?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Unable to open the link. What is the general gist?

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Eclectus Subspecies Identification | Laurella Desborough's Eclectus Centre

If you go through her site it might be helpful. Aside from the slight difference in size and conformation (and color in the case of the females) there is a slight difference in personality. I believe that most feel the solomon island eclectus are the most "stable" and outgoing in terms of owning them as a pet. I honestly haven't noticed that much of a difference, I've interacted with 2-3 different subspecies of males and females and found them all to be quite charming, although living with them may be a different experience.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
We have a male (Henry) and female (Angel) Eclectus and both have different personalities. Henry can be jealous of Angel and will play up a lot more when they are both out together. Henry will go down to the floor and happily wander around checking things out. He will fly to the shoulder of my partner or myself and nibble on our ears. Henry is out-going within our family to a point. If someone comes around and is here for more than 10 minutes, Henry will start to talk to them. Usually "hello" and "what are you doing?"

Angel will only be lay back when on the play gym and will happily sit and preen herself. She will lunge at people when in her cage Yet will take a sunflower seed. If she get onto the floor she goes into breeding / nesting mode and will chase off anyone, expect for me (she loves me).

I find that Henry is more approachable, Loud, curious, persistent, observant, jealous and head-strong. But he is also affectionate and gentle. This is because Henry has been with us from 10 weeks old.
Angel is more aloof, quiet, aggressive and when nervous or scared she will swear a lot. This was because of her previous owners. After many bites and blood she will only allow me to handle her and is now quite affectionate and gentle with me. Angel is slowly becoming more tolerant of the family.

I believe that the home environment has a huge impact on the personally of a pet. Henry has had more social interaction than Angel, who had very little social interaction. This is shown in the personally and behaviour of each bird.

darwinparrot

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jacob
I have had 2 male and 1 female but not at the same time. The two that I had as pets were half siblings with the same mother. Echo was a female Solomon Island and Darwin is probably a mix based on his beak color. They were both very very similar and were handfed from a young age by me. I got Echo(female) was much easier to teach tricks and teach rules and limits. She wasn't as good at talking as Darwin(male) but they both spoke beautifully and with some contextual value. They say females are more hormonal but Echo was less nippy than Darwin is. They both would go to anyone and I would trust them with kids. Echo was more willing to please and was more cuddly and hands on. Darwin wants to be right on top of you but prefers "just look don't touch" although he won't get mad immediately if you do touch him. Darwin has less motivation to try new things where Echo would try literally anything for some mashed up banana with oatmeal. Darwin is more stubborn and will not do something just because there is food involved or it will excite me. Echo died in 2013 due to a outdoor flying accident. I won't get off topic but please do not take your birds outside without a harness or a cage. Clipping doesn't cut it. Then there was Jeeter. I bought him after Echo died and before Darwin was born. He was super aggressive and unpredictable with everyone even though he was only 3 years old and was handfed. He could sing like I've never heard before. I sold Jeeter to Darwin and Echo's breeder. All in all I would personally look less into gender and more into the personalities of the breeders babies after maturity and see if the parents are friendly when they are not in season. Echo and Darwin came from the same mother(who is also very friendly and similar to my two) and the same breeder and turned out to both be very similar in a very positive way.