• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female

Hem68

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Hello

Im a new owner to what im told is and alexandrine parakeet. Similar to indian ringnecki have found in research. Im also told hes male and approximately 16 months old. He has a pale ring at the moment.. could it still become a full ring? He hasnt got red patch behind his head either. Could he be a female and is he definately an alexandrine?
Many thanks 20190223_131728.jpg 20190305_180059.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...definitely a handsome, male Alex! :D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...what I've heard and seen Alexandrines usually take a little longer to have the color in their rings and head "come in" than IRNs...;)

Hem68

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
Thank you all. The picture on top of his cage was 1st time coming out this week. Proud mummy :fairy2:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Plumheads also from Psittacula genus take up to 3 years for their full adult plumage :geek:

Your Alex is a boy! Congratulations on welcoming him to your home. He is so cute. :xflove:

I would caution against using the shoe lace as a regular toy. These guys will ingest some cotton fibers, which can lead to problems down the road. So always surprise when it comes to cotton rope or toys.

I look forward to seeing more photos as he grows!