• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female?

Mystic

Checking out the neighborhood
I recently purchased a pair of yellow-sided green cheek conures and was wondering which one was male and which one was female.

I was told that the larger one with pink feet and red on the ears was the male.
The supposed female is smaller with grey feet and has hardly any red on the face.
But 'she' does the that funny head bobbing when you get too close to the cage, my male pearly conure does the same motion. Iv heard that males usually do it.
So I'm a bit confused

The 'male'

IMG_9784.PNG

The 'female'
IMG_9785.PNG

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Did the previous people say way they said one was male and the other female??? If they already did a DNA test, there's no reason to get another one done... or if they are a mature pair that have produced offspring (and they can prove it), then you don't need to get any tests done.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Conures are not a bird you can visually tell male or female. Do you know if the previous owners had a DNA test done on them or if they produced offspring (not just eggs) in the past for them?

If not the only way to know sex for sure is to DNA test them.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Some people say a flatter, more angular head is characteristic of a male and a rounded head, a female. I have two DNA confirmed males. One has a flat head and one has a round head so go figure :lol:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Genetics, Lwalker! ;) Who knows what all subspecies each greencheek has in them!

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Yep! DNA test only way to know unless eggs are produced. I have to say they are very pretty birds

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Good point skipper

Mystic

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I'm not sure if they have been DNA sexed or even bred before. I purchased them at a bird shop that just said ' Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure Pair '
I noticed that the pair just didn't seem to be bonding. They would squabble for food and have a lot of arguments. The male would try to be friendly but the female didn't really want much to do with him so I decided to separate them as I didn't want there to be anything worse then a bloody toe. I have been working on taming the female ( Nikita ) ... she's actually not to bad but when she wants to she can bite. HARD! She's always been the more aggressive one though...

I have bought a DNA sexed Jade Pineapple GCC female ( Dawn ) and she has settled in really well with my supposed male ( Neko ) and has a very quite nature. It's so cute seeing them cuddling and preening each other.
I had just sent off the DNA for Neko to make sure he is indeed a male when I noticed that I hadn't seen the female come out of the nest box very often so I took a look inside and what do I find? 3 eggs... I definitely hadn't been expecting THAT because I had only had her for a month and a half. And what's more? There fertile!! Well now I know Iv got a male and a female with this pair.... I didn't even need that the DNA test done...
But I was just wondering is it normal for the egg to have a ring of veins around the heartbeat? It looks like a bit like a blood ring but the the egg is still alive?
Iv only breed peachfaced lovebirds so this will be my first time breeding GCC.

Also what is a Jade mutation? Iv read somewhere that it's also known as the 'Misty' mutation? Is that right or is she a different mutation? Iv tried looking on google for photos that look like her but I can't find anything with information.
Here is a photo of her and of the egg -

IMG_9779.PNG IMG_0612.PNG IMG_0833.PNG ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

Last edited:

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I have no idea whether they are female or male but they sure are adorable!! :fairy2: