• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or female IRN

maddie miny

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
im considering a IRN in the future as an addition to my family but what I’d like to know is, would you prefer male or female and why. For me it seems like from every video I’ve watched with a female IRN they are very hormonal. After a ton of research I know that IRNs are little spitfires and they go through bluffing but I am so willing/looking forwards to training and challenges. No matter which gender I get I will love them regardless. I just figured I’d get some input :)

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
My girl is always hormonal but she isn't bitey, she is very bonded to me and presents herself if I go near her.They are very independent birds so be aware they are not "cuddly". They like their own space and its they who decide if they will grace you with playtime.They ust be out of the cage the majority of the time. From what I hear, males speak more than girls, although my girl does say a lot, peekaboo, pretty bird, what are you doing etc. I will suggest however that you go into it without expecting your bird will express traits you see on youtube. Your bird might not like playing with humans, might not be cuddly at all and might not ever say a word. One thing I can guarantee is the bird will be loud. If you have a napping child it would not be a good fit, nor would living in an apartment.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Following...Even though I shouldn't be adding any potential fuel to the fire of wanting an IRN right now ...:hehe:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
My girl is always hormonal but she isn't bitey, she is very bonded to me and presents herself if I go near her.They are very independent birds so be aware they are not "cuddly". They like their own space and its they who decide if they will grace you with playtime.They ust be out of the cage the majority of the time. From what I hear, males speak more than girls, although my girl does say a lot, peekaboo, pretty bird, what are you doing etc. I will suggest however that you go into it without expecting your bird will express traits you see on youtube. Your bird might not like playing with humans, might not be cuddly at all and might not ever say a word. One thing I can guarantee is the bird will be loud. If you have a napping child it would not be a good fit, nor would living in an apartment.
..couldn't have said it better myself. :)

Titan really said maybe 5 or so words in his entire life. He was definitely independent and liked his own space. He did like being around people...on his own terms...although he was the perfect "birdie ambassador"...always liking to meet people and having attention paid to him. He was a very lively bird...always wanting to get into something or play.

And yes, Titan could be loud screechy...when he wanted to. Titan would go through "silly season" about once a year...and the receiver of his amorous intentions were, invariably, our toes. :jawdrop1: He'd even try to rip your socks in the attempt to feed, then mount your toes.

After silly season, came molting...he'd get bald patches...and lose his beloved tail...and be a total grump until it grew back...;)

IRNs are great birds...for people who understand that they are a "different" type of bird...

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Cassiesdad, Kiwi is still waiting for you :)